Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys

Hoping this update will help somebody in the future. Keep in mind I am not very good with 12 volt electrical so this felt like a major accomplishment for me.

UPDATE. I got it all installed. It was much simpler than I was thinking it was going to be. The information I found on this website was very helpful.

I thought snaking the wires was going to be difficult but it was actually very easy.

Someone had suggested cutting off all the excess wires on the Zumo but I didn't want to do that in case those wires were needed at a later date. I only used the power wire and the antenna wire.

There was more room going into the left fairing pocket than I expected. I spliced into the USB power that was already in place under the pocket and coiled up all the excess wires under there as well.

I was concerned about loosening the cable retainer on the handlebars to get the wire underneath it. I was worried that about all the cables and wires falling out and not being able to get them back in. Again that was easier than I anticipated. I only took 1 of the 2 screws out and loosened the other one. This allowed me to get the cable underneath the retainer without removing the whole retainer.

I put the Zumo on the left side of the handlebars and the GXM40 antenna on the right side. I just put Velcro on the antenna to hold it on the brake reservoir. I will take some pictures and post later. It actually looks pretty good.

I lost the screws that attach it to the mating puck (see pic #2). They turned out to be 3.0 Metric. In case anyone else loses one.

Once I gathered the info and needed splice connectors it took me about 3 hours to get everything installed and back into place. Keep in mind the Garmin supplied mount has an integrated power cord/ mount and I am not very fast.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Congratulations BUT

Useless.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here ya go.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This is similar to my mount on my 2002. I took my motorcycle to a sound shop and they were able to recess the round antenna in the middle of the dash by the windshield. Custom install - looks great - and have not had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure. They we're on the bike when I bought it so I really don't have anything to compare them against.

Haven't really needed to adjust them either.

I am told the bars and the super brace help handling and I can tell you it handles very well. Almost as good as my ST1300.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am not sure. They we're on the bike when I bought it so I really don't have anything to compare them against.

Haven't really needed to adjust them either.

I am told the bars and the super brace help handling and I can tell you it handles very well. Almost as good as my ST1300.

Awesome - thanks for the comment... BTW, I also use a Zumo665 on my bike even though it also has Navi... I subscribe to XM Radio and Nav Weather and Nav Traffic thru the Zumo and it works great...

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome - thanks for the comment... BTW, I also use a Zumo665 on my bike even though it also has Navi... I subscribe to XM Radio and Nav Weather and Nav Traffic thru the Zumo and it works great...
Can I ask how much you pay for the XM service?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts