Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then someone will ask about putting straight pipes on their 1500. Well, you may not like the sound it makes. The OEM muffler on the right rusted clean out and taking the path of the least resistance goes the flow. It sounds more like a cheap car than a Goldwing. So instead of dismantling a perfectly good exhaust system to make your bike sound funny, I can provide you with the sound you desire with a rusted out muffler. I purchased a foil type muffler repair tape to try to tone it down, I still would have perfected a tomato sauce can and large hose clamps.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
last year before our trip to the east coast my 93 was sounding like a piece of junk, I had purchase a set of stock mufflers years ago that only had a few thousand miles on them so I changed them out. When I stood the old mfflers on end the the insides or what was left of them poured out. Had about a coffee can full of rust. Guess nothing lasts for ever.
The outer shell still looked good but nothing left inside.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
my plan was to buy a new chamber box and pipes this winter. I was nearly hit twice within 1 minute in a drive thru parking lot. No one looked and no one heard me. Were I on my Sabre, this would not have happened.

Someone said to remove the mufflers in the tailpipe, it sounded good. I thought, shoot I got nothing to loose, how bad can it sound?

All due respect, I humbly disagree. Mine does not sound like a cheap car. I sounds alot like a really big, mean wet dry vac.

can't wait to save up enough for new pipes. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
has anyone put road king mufflers on a 1500 wing? i've seen some 1000 wings with rk mufflers on them and you can find the mufflers cheap. my friend got some for $40.00

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
thanks, i might look into it . for 40 bucks, it might make it easier to look for a deal on the items I want.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I found a metal band that is used on clothes dryers. I cut the band so that it would wrap around the hole in the muffler and used the clamp to hold it in place and the sound is toned down and sounds good. Someones trash is someone else's treasure or in this case 'Band Aid'. I just used a little creativity.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
baseball cards and clothespins would greatly help mine right now.

I butchered the first muffler figuring out how the heck it was stuck in there (and on a curve no less) so I basically had jumped off a cliff with no ability to return.

The good news is, I found bottom. It cannnot sound worse. So matter what I do now, it will most likely be an improvement.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
How can I get my quiet, nice sounding Wing to sound like a piece of crap with the baffles drilled out?

I just need to know in case I go completely insane and want to go back to having old ladies glaring at me in traffic.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I modded my slipons I had a clean set from a friend that went the torque master route so there was that safety factor for me. All I did was pull the baffles from the front of the mufflers. They're a touch quieter than torque master and I had the option to turn out the tips. I hated them pointing toward the ground. The sound isn't that loud it's more throaty now and has a nice growl to it. My tips are turned out at an angle which I can live with for now. I'm looking for some nice tips now. So far there's nothing that I like so theres a trip to a friends muffler shop for the weekend.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How can I get my quiet, nice sounding Wing to sound like a piece of crap with the baffles drilled out?

I just need to know in case I go completely insane and want to go back to having old ladies glaring at me in traffic.
I can send you the muffler with the hole in it and with the metal band off it will sound terrible.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
The bad thing about a stock (quiet) Wing is you can't be heard. In short those cheery car folks who insist they do not see you can neither hear you. So, some noise may be good noise. But, about all you get out of a modified 6 cyl Wing or Valk is racket! Hence, some racket must be a splendid state of affairs especially when it irrotates those folks who have never bothered to look before they turn, change lanes, pull out etc.

The modern electric car. These are designed so quiet the engineers are adding noise to to make them audible. Yet those same engineers routinely increase quiet on a motorcycle and we ride in an hostile evironment in which we are neither seen or heard. Cheers!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I put in a bid for two Road King mufflers on e-bay, we'll see how that works out.
Also ran into a guy from work tonight, he has a pair of OEM mufflers from his Harley Heritage, don't know if they will work, if I don't get the bid from e-bay I'll try the others.
I don't want to be loud, of sound like junk, just want it to sound nice, a little mellow rumble would be OK.

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts
Geez, Val! You know how long it took me to "tune" Tatanka to sound like a cheap car? And all I had to do was mess with the exhaust? I can't say that I feel stupid, just stupider!:p

My main Wing has a good, throaty two-tone horn that I test regularly. Otherwise, he's almost silent and I like that. Noisiness is OK, visibility is better. That's why I always wear a plugged-in Flying Elvis suit when riding. Gets a little warm in summer.:D

"Noisiness is OK, visibility is better." And good judgement is best; remember, they are TRYING to kill us!:eek::mad:

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
I have a 1200 that the muffler was rotted off on one side. When I installed a good muffler, I just had to run it without the muffler. I liked the sound, for a race car, but not for a Wing.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
A lot is to be said about a good air horn.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I don't know, I guess loud is good at times. To be honest though, you don't hear loud pipes unless they are right beside you or already in front of you. So much for loud pipes save lives.

G

·
0 Posts
I don't know, I guess loud is good at times. To be honest though, you don't hear loud pipes unless they are right beside you or already in front of you. So much for loud pipes save lives.
Also with a quite pipe YOU are able to hear better(emergency vehicle,other motorcycle or trucks coming from behind)
My son had a loud one and is cool to ride...for half an hour.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts