Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was your first long ride? What were you riding?

My First long ride was from Wilmington NC to Naples FL I was riding a Honda CA77 (305 Dream) and this was circa 1970. I had just got my drivers licence and took off a few weeks during summer vacation. It took me two days to get there. Then toured Florida for the rest of the time. So eventful was the trip that I recently picked up a original but in need of a minor resto CA77. I knew then would always be riding.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
heavychevy, On the street my first was a trip to Nashville with my brother & a friend of ours. Duration of a week lot's of riding & fun. I was on my brother's Kawasaki 1500 Classic he was on his Wing. After that trip I was convinced I had to "get me one of those wings".

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Wilkes Barre to Knoxville, Tn on a 1986 Kawasaki Voyager 1200. Went with my Pastor to a Rider Magazine rally (if you remember them). He was on a 750 Yamaha. I had a better time!!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
from detroit to kentucky state university. my sister attended the school ( it was spring break ) and i rode my '72 norton 750 commando down and back. the year was '75

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
My first long ride was Sept 2 1990, We got married in Vegas and took off on a two week vacation with 3 other couples. Went to Mt. Rushmore and many points in between.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
My first long ride was on my 86 GL1200 Aspencade. From Wallingford, CT to one of the first "Americades". I forget what it was called back then but it was held on Loretta Lynn's ranch in Tennessee. About an hour north of Nashville.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Puyallup, WA to Harrison Hot Springs BC, not to long, but a great ride. 83 aspy

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
My first significant ride was leaving Toronto early Saturday morning, riding lot's of twistys in Pa and making it home for Sunday supper the next day. We did 2000 kilometres (1250) miles.

·
Registered
201 Posts
First long ride,hmmm 83 Interstate pulling a camping trailer,wife,tent,Prince Rupert to Winnipeg and back.Hail storm in Quepell Valley,bike shifted sideways on some tar patches and I'm up on the footpegs like a dirt bike without thinking Ha Ha instinct kicked in,I laughed about it afterwards ,what was I thinking , an 800 pound bike with a trailer behind and a passenger,not quite the same as a light dirt bike :)

-Robert-

·
Registered
18 Posts
1st long ride? Started in 1974, I'll get back to you if I can when it ends hahaha

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
longest ride

From Tucson, Az to NM, Dalhart Texas, NE Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, lay up a few days, Minn. SD, ND, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, back to Az and home. A little over 5000 miles. I want to do another, I need to ride some New England and Appalachian states. I dont own a trailer.

Ive been Tucson - North Carolina 3 times. Several 1000 - 2000 milers. I have 110,000 miles on my 04 Wing.

Life is short, Do it now!

·
Registered
36 Posts
What was your first long ride? What were you riding?

My First long ride was from Wilmington NC to Naples FL I was riding a Honda CA77 (305 Dream) and this was circa 1970. I had just got my drivers licence and took off a few weeks during summer vacation. It took me two days to get there. Then toured Florida for the rest of the time. So eventful was the trip that I recently picked up a original but in need of a minor resto CA77. I knew then would always be riding.
My first long ride happened back in 1972. I had bought a 750 Norton while home on leave from boot camp. I had to leave it in Texas because my ship was over seas. When I got back to Long Beach I flew home and rode back to California. Did it in 3 days I will alway remember that ride.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
I want to do another, I need to ride some New England and Appalachian states. I dont own a trailer.

Life is short, Do it now!
Come on up Bill, We'd love to have you except I don't thing you want to do it now because we have that witer stuff hapenning.:D

Seriously make the plans. As long as it isn't June/July of this year (I'll be out your way) maybe we'll hookup for a bit of your ride & a coffee.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Youre right ozzie

Ozzie, all our long rides began with that mo-ped years ago and is still going on. Good anology! But to comply with the topic, my first long ride was from Iowa to Mississippi and back to Missouri then west to Arizona. This was 1980, I rode a 77' Honda 750 F model. Being a Honda it ran like a top but I should have switched the stock seat with a 2 x 8 oak plank, it would have been more comfortable. I bought a "water seat" somewhere enroute, my rear end trying to climb on my shoulders to get away from that stock seat. The water seat was a flat pad filled with water, it leaked like a seive and wow, it did make a modest amount of comfort.

I remember some bozo in a pickup truck tailing me on hiway 54 near Liberal, Ks. I would add 10 he would add 10 etc. Finally at about 85 I opened it up and .... no more pickup. I rode through Liberal, a fewyears later I married a nice Liberal Girl ( Hooray).

I love the feeling of being 500 miles from home and 1000 miles from a destination (if I bother with a destination). Probably why I bought a GoldWing. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
My 1st long ride, over 3000 miles(under is short) was from St. Peter's Cape Breton, NS to Victoria, BC in 1993 on a 1000 Virago. It was a trip of a life time with two buddies. We were gone for four weeks. On the way out we went across the American Praires and returned through the Canadian Prairies. When we returned I had patches made for our jackets, "Coast to Coast Riders".

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
well i stand corrected. i was talking to a friend after making my post and the trip to ky is my second long ride the first was when we were 14. we had no license or plates on our bikes( noone was old enough to have a license ). actually there were five of us. three were on dt125 yamahas one on a sl125 honda and me on my hodaka wombat 125. from bellville, mi to mackinaw, mi

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Although I rode bikes around home from the time I was 14, my first long ride was the first time I ever took my new bride on a tour. From our place 100 miles North of Edmonton Ab. to Pentiction BC on my '82 CB750 custom. Made it halfway to Edmonton and hit a hailstorm, then rain to Red Deer (are we having fun yet honey?) and then camped at a provincial park near Rocky Mtn House. No hand axe to make a fire but borrowed a neighbor's to get one going, no sleeping pads just the tent floor & sleeping bags. -5*c the next morning, half an inch of frost all over the bike, *&^%! fire was out. Stopped at a roadside restaurant for breakfast after an hour riding and was so cold I couldn't sqeeze the clutch lever and just about dumped the bike. First stop in Penticton was at Sears to buy mattresses and a camp axe. Everything else was absolutely fantastic. My wife still talks about how much fun it all was.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My first long ride on the back was with my dad on his 1977 GS 750 from Los Alamos, NM up to Dinosaur National Monument and back. Same trip I'm taking my daughter on this spring. She'll be 12 and so was I.

First ride on my own bike was after I bought that 750 from him (He got a new interceptor) in 85 and we went out to Laguna Seca to see the races. 4 of us including my dad's buddy (they've been taking trips together for decades) and his son who was my age. We went I40 straight out, then after race weekend up the coast to San Fran, crossed the mountains, through Nevada and back home to NM. Two weeks of heaven and I was in love. I remember seeing all the wings on the road and while I didn't wish for anything different, I did think "I bet that's a nice ride - someday". Now someday's here and I was right.:D:D

·
Registered
449 Posts
First long ride............wife and I went on week long vacation on the Honda 500 twin in I think 1982 or 83..........We got sun burnned to a crisp.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Although I rode bikes around home from the time I was 14, my first long ride was the first time I ever took my new bride on a tour. From our place 100 miles North of Edmonton Ab. to Pentiction BC on my '82 CB750 custom. Made it halfway to Edmonton and hit a hailstorm, then rain to Red Deer (are we having fun yet honey?) and then camped at a provincial park near Rocky Mtn House. No hand axe to make a fire but borrowed a neighbor's to get one going, no sleeping pads just the tent floor & sleeping bags. -5*c the next morning, half an inch of frost all over the bike, *&^%! fire was out. Stopped at a roadside restaurant for breakfast after an hour riding and was so cold I couldn't sqeeze the clutch lever and just about dumped the bike. First stop in Penticton was at Sears to buy mattresses and a camp axe. Everything else was absolutely fantastic. My wife still talks about how much fun it all was.
Sometimes the most memorable trips were the most challanging. When my wife and I bought our last Valkyrie (unexpected purchace) we drove a car we sold to Ft Myers Florida. (About 700 miles away) We were on our way to the airport when we saw the Valkyrie sitting on the showroom of a New car dealership. We had the cab driver wait on us a few minutes while I neg the deal. We came to a price and paid the cab driver and sent him on his way. We strapped out bags to the bike and headed home with no kind of gear. We had to get a tire put on the back of the bike 2 miles away (part of the deal with the dealership) The bottom fell out a few miles down the road and never let up. All I had was Jeans, Tshirt and Sneakers and no helmets. It was pouring so bad that cars were pulling off the side of the road, We stopped at a Holiday Inn in Tampa for the night (I was getting cold and shivering so bad I couldn't drive) I got some sleep and dried off and early before the sun came up we took off again hopeing to outrun the rain. The rain caught us about 20 miles out with about 40mph winds and it rained so bad it wore me out to the point we had to stop and get a room just south of the georgia state line. We had be averaging at best about 30 mph. Still no helmets and had a bit over a 100 miles to go in Georgia (where they have a helmet law) so we just rented another room for the next night at some dive for the night (I was exhausted from fighting the wind and rain) but we remember that dive of a motel had a really nice little Chinese Resturaunt attached to it so we chowed down and got a little cuddley in the room. We took off the next morning (pouring down rain), No Helmets but managed to get out of Georgia without a ticket. (I guess the GA State Patrol didnt want to get out in that mess. But we entered SC a few Hours later (the rain still coming down like it was being poured from a bucket) and about the time we got within 75 miles of home the sun came out and dried us out good. By the time we got home we were dry (Except for my backside), worn out and had some real memories. It took us over two days to go 700 miles but we still talk about that trip. Weve taken two trip back to that same dive hotel over the past few years and love it each tiime. The weather was horrible, the rain beat me like I was being sand blasted and it would exhausted me in about 6 hours riding time, was stopping for gas every 80 miles for gas just to catch my breath from the rain but was a very memorable trip. I wouldn't have changed a thing about that trip.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts