Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Haha, good video - I enjoyed that. Makes me feel better about never remembering to line the dot up with anything :D.

Reactions: Chopin and Fla wing

·
Super Moderator
9,850 Posts
Don't know if this specifically refers to the red dot but I found this explanation:

the DOT symbol by itself simply indicates that the tire is approved by the Department of Transportation to be legally used on the road. The Date Code is when the tire was manufactured (not when it was approved). 2.

Reactions: NREMTP and ETC

·
Premium Member
23,795 Posts
Straight from the horses mouth: Mounting Your Tires

I do agree with the guy though that with the new computer machined wheels it really doesn't matter. You need to balance them or better yet, use Centramatic Balancers (had to get that in here).
Ok !
If X marks the spot
Dot, dot, dot
Three lines down
Once around
This will give you the chills.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
from back when I was a beginning teacher making next to nothing, I worked part time at a Goodyear store, since I grew up working on cars it was an easy above min. wage job.
some of the other tire busters said the same thing, oh that has to be lined up with the valve stem. One day we had the "privilege" of having a Goodyear rep at our store talking the engineering behind some new tires. I had the chance to ask him about that dot, on Goodyear it was usually white at the time, he laughed, and said, "all that dot is, is an inspection mark made at one stage of construction, we do sell balanced tires, we have no idea if your rim is balanced, so how could we mark a tire to match your wheel."

so I totally have to agree with you. Besides, if you truly wanted a good balance, it needs to be balanced on the vehicle so you can balance out everything, including hubs and brake components.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know that is a good point as I spin the rotors on my lathe to machine the ends and some do shake a bit. Not enough to notice but as you say not 100%

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You know that is a good point as I spin the rotors on my lathe to machine the ends and some do shake a bit. Not enough to notice but as you say not 100%
that is why everyone brags about how much smoother it is with beads or centramatics,,,,,,,,,,, they both balance the entire wheel unit

Reactions: Limpy45 and Chopin

·
Premium Member
23,795 Posts
that is why everyone brags about how much smoother it is with beads or centramatics,,,,,,,,,,, they both balance the entire wheel unit
It is all about the price. Higher price must produce higher performance !

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It is all about the price. Higher price must produce higher performance !
to me that all depends, in some things yes and in some things no

at a chevy dealership I worked at back in about 1980, they had a unit that would let you spin a wheel with it on the car, so you could dynamically balance the complete wheel assemply, and all we had were the bang on lead weights
think about that with the rear diff on a caddy, lots of metal flying around in a circle

with beads versus centramatics.......................... both work on the same premiss....... just centramatics don't have to be replaced with each tire and you don't wind up with beads all over the floor when you change the tire (I did manage to recapture most of them on my last front tire change), but how many bags of beads would equal the cost a set of centramatics????? I could do the Algebra if you wish. But I found a cheaper source, I bought a set of beads that was to balance semi truck tires, there were the exact same thing..... just a lot cheaper and I won't have to buy beads for several years

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the balancing jel. Unlike the reads and cetramatics it spreads out and remains in place so the tire remains balanced at slow speeds. It Also protects against small (1/4 inch) holes. It re!mains soft enough to continue to balance the tire as the tread wears.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually have tested all 3 - beads, gel and centramatics. I mean really tested by finding a wheel out of balance and then seeing if they work. I have yet to see or read of anyone actually doing this as what I see is people install the items then just claiming they work great and everything is peachy. (my new favorite word) My actual tests varied a lot. Not sure if I should do a video as it could incite a riot :)

I will simply say - lead works, it stays put even at no speeds and never needs adjustments. Plus it's very cheap and works on unbalanced wheels not just wheels that are not out of balance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts