Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay the Dragon asked for a review.
After a weekend of shear joy, I have enough to go by.
The Bad:
The ST is missing some of the comforts.
No cruise, no reverse and the signals aren't self canceling.
The worst part is the stock seat. It continuously pushes you toward the tank. Fortunately, I took my own advice and put a $20 Costco cushion on it and saved my A$$. Literally.....
The Good
Now if you think you can live without those comforts, I can tell you it is the greatest bike I've ever owned. 200lbs less makes a world of a difference and the handling is incredible. The best way I can describe it is: When I put the Wing in a curve at 50mph, it felt like 50. When the ST is doing 50 in a curve it feels like 30. I can't express how much confidence that gives you. Steve's dad Pete told me I looked more comfortable. That means a lot. The quickness is awfully handy in sticky situations.

For Fossil and Pete(GD).....I really hope you don't get one. I was able to keep pace with Fossil on the trike, and think I can stay in the ballpark with GD. If you guys go out and get an ST, I have to go back to the back. I will say though, if you did get one, you wouldn't regret it for a second.:icon_smile_big:

There it is.
Any questions
Phil

·
Premium Member
10,838 Posts
I know what you are saying about Peter (GD) and I loved it. I was trying to behave myself and was trying to ride within myself because it was the beginning of a big trip. And I just could not take the chance of putting it down in the beginning of such a big trip. We were riding fast enough to have fun but still be safe. Just how I like a twisty road.

A good report on the ST Phil. In a way the Goldwing was not the style of bike that was most suited to your need in a bike. I get the high corner speeds from my 250 Honda. It is not the best tourer but the Goldwing does a good job of that.

·
Super Moderator
14,119 Posts
I would think the Wing sucks down the miles easier but that sure is a good looking bike. I would love to take it for a short spin. You come over this way I'll stick you on my Stratoliner and you can try a big cruiser.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think the Wing sucks down the miles easier but that sure is a good looking bike. I would love to take it for a short spin. You come over this way I'll stick you on my Stratoliner and you can try a big cruiser.
I wouldn't know what to do with floor boards. But your always welcome take the ST for a test run.

·
Premium Member
5,533 Posts
Great report Phil, you looked liked you enjoyed every mile on it last weekend.

·
Super Moderator
28,035 Posts
Great report Phil. So yes I can see on a long haul where the lack of comfort features would be a detriment but that bike looks to be so much fun that one would be inclined to accept the consequences. Oh and it also looks like it's going fast just sitting in the parking lot too.

·
Premium Member
7,603 Posts
Phil, there's some nice aftermarket products that can enhance your comfort level. You said you got a 20 buck Costco seat pad; try out a quality one sometime like an Airhawk. I got one recently and it will go on my scooter and 919 now. Nothing like it. Throttlemeister makes a bar end throttle lock/quasi cruise control. I may get one for my 919. For my Burgman, I use the Breakaway Cruise Control. As for reverse, get you a 400 pound 919 and you won't need no reverse.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Thanks my friend for the great report. I'm not old enough for reverse yet but I do love a curse control on the supper slab. Now the ability to be able to enjoy the twisted roads the way I have become to love from my Uncle Jim back in 65 when he got us both on troubled with mom and that is one of the BIGGIES. With the wife telling all U'll how she is in heaven with her own bike and who could ever blame her I may just have tooo much or just that I want a new to me ride itching. AND I know of an 09 with 13K for around 9K very close by. Dang the voices in my head are starting to yell at each other.

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks my friend for the great report. I'm not old enough for reverse yet but I do love a curse control on the supper slab. Now the ability to be able to enjoy the twisted roads the way I have become to love from my Uncle Jim back in 65 when he got us both on troubled with mom and that is one of the BIGGIES. With the wife telling all U'll how she is in heaven with her own bike and who could ever blame her I may just have tooo much or just that I want a new to me ride itching. AND I know of an 09 with 13K for around 9K very close by. Dang the voices in my head are starting to yell at each other.
That sounds like a great deal. I paid 8700 for an 08 with 15K and would have paid more.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
You are not helping him. Oh leave Phil b he is a lot of help. Oh stop it you boneheaded nut. Oh who are you calling a nut you boob.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Sounds like a weekend fun ride in our future.

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are not helping him. Oh leave Phil b he is a lot of help. Oh stop it you boneheaded nut. Oh who are you calling a nut you boob.
That's a scary conversation for sure.:suspicious::budo:

·
Super Moderator
14,119 Posts
I wouldn't know what to do with floor boards. But your always welcome take the ST for a test run.
You put your feet on them. It ain't rocket science. I would love to take it for a short spin.

·
Premium Member
8,510 Posts
Glad you're diggin' the ST1300, EFINREF/Phil! Certainly a fine looking rig and has a lot of GO! I'm sure. If you play your cards right in Cody, WY next June, I'll take it for a ride and let you ride my '95 GL1500 Aspy for a while!:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts