Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... noob!!
I'm in Tulsa.
I am on the edge...about to pull the trigger.
I have been just about to buy a wing for awhile. Then I pull back. I just think I am leary of giving up the performance of my ZX14. I love the twistys, dont care much for interstate, but love going places new and seeing new cool stuff.
One problem with the sport bike is it hard to stay overnight with it or take the wife any real distance. She aint good for anymore than 3 hours. I think she would do much better on the wing seat, but still, 8-10 hrs on bike may not be her thing.

I also would like to ask for advice and thoughts on buying a new Wing:

Where to go. (best shop OK KS MO TX, best deal)(we have a local shop that I woulldnt buy anything from they suck so bad.) Shawnee,OK, Bartlesville,OK, Iola, KS, I have heard good things about.

What to expect to pay. (no nav/airbag)

What to...you know...EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I hesitated about buying a Wing for almost a year. I had a ZZR1200 and loved the sport tour thing. But the new wife just couldn't really enjoy hanging on for dear life very long at a time either. I still have the Zed but I bought a NEW 1998 model WIng last August. We can now go places together in comfort. We went to Florida last year on it. 600 to 800 miles a day is nothing. It's a whole new world but it will take an adjustment period on your part. This girl is big. But you will adjust and the Kawasaki will become the other bike.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF ripperfox

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can't vouch personally, but I've heard great things about Kirby's SuperSports in Chanute, KS. The guy who previously owned the 1987 Wing I just bought came down from Wisconsin to buy from them. Something must have made it worth the drive.

Hoss

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. Can't help you much with dealers in your part of the country, but a good place to look for pricing ideas is eBay. That will give you an idea as to how much to pay for new/used bikes. Good luck with your decision. You will never regret owning a Wing. Ride safe..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Welcome to the forum and from snow country WI. One thing I would do is get your wife on a rental or a friends and see what she says..

Thats how my wife got into a wing, we drove a friends many a year ago and when she found out I was out looking for a ride again,She said get one of those with the big nice seat. It didn't take me long to find a ride again. I guess she likes the ride and the seat !!

WA9FWT Phil

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
I aquired a Wing last November. For three years I have been riding a 1300 VTX solo. Nice bike for 200 mile rides for my comfort, but no room for two. I sold the wife on the idea that we could go together. She either gave in or gave up. Took MZ. Vickie to the Honda store and she climbed aboard a Wing, wiggled her fanny in the back seat, and I saw a subtle smile begin to grow. From that moment on I knew it was only about price.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My first bike was a 66 Honda dream. The second was a 75 Goldwing which I rode for over 20 years and still own. My current ride is a 98 Aspencade which I have ridden for 10 years. My wife would not ride the dream at all. She only did short runs on the 75. But on the 98 she has ridden for day runs. This June we are planning a ride up the Blueridge Parkway, Skyline Drive and on to Niagara Falls. Wings are great for the passenger and fun for the rider.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My first bike was a 66 Honda dream. The second was a 75 Goldwing which I rode for over 20 years and still own. My current ride is a 98 Aspencade which I have ridden for 10 years. My wife would not ride the dream at all. She only did short runs on the 75. But on the 98 she has ridden for day runs. This June we are planning a ride up the Blueridge Parkway, Skyline Drive and on to Niagara Falls. Wings are great for the passenger and fun for the rider.
"Wow ' second honey moon for you guys. It sure sounds great, and traveling that way on top of it, what better way too see the USA.
I would like to do the same, but it has been years since we traveled any distance. We did two up on a CB-750 which I bought in 1975 and we went to Fla. That was a long ride, but I had a special seat made just for long riding. But the wife sure likes the seat I have now on a 1982 A GW So I may just have to talk her into one more long ride. Not as young as I was back then in 1975 age now 70.Hope you have a great trip....
WA9FWT Phil

·
Registered
129 Posts
WA9FWT Phil, you are only a couple of years older than I. Take your time and do a nice long ride even if you only travel a couple hundred miles a day. I tend to push the distance until my wife says stop. We can make 400-500 miles a day.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome Ripperfox!! If you want performance,then you want an 1800. However,myself and others are more comfy on a 1500. The 1500 also gives you more storage capacity for the long hauls. Either way,you won't be disappointed. They both handle surprisingly well for their size/weight. Check out Yellow Wolf on you tube at Deals Gap.That should convince you. Your wife will gain the most benefit. She is gonna love it!

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Hi Ripperfox and welcome to the board. I've been riding different wings for the past 10 years and loving it. I'm happy that my wife enjoys it also. She and I also like to go with other people from our club on long trips with the cb's and the intercom. Last summer it was just the two of us for a week trip and had a great time. I think your wife would love the comfort the wing has.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Ripperfox, just to reiterate what the others have said, if you want the wife along the wing is the only way to go. You can ride forever with loads of power, handling, comfort. My little lady actually had to talk me into buying it. Alot of money for a bike, I thought. She asked me 3 questions : Do you want a Goldwing? Yes. Can you afford a Goldwing? Yes,barely. Is it going to be less expensive next year? I doubt it. Well, that sold me, God love her...the little lady, that is. And we haven't regretted it for a second. In my opinion, it is a unique riding experience. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts