Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Wing with Nav/Audio/Comfort and I am wondering if anyone has had issues with the XM Radio reception. I would like to know if anyone one has solved the reception problem for the factory XM ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2010 wing with XM. The radio cuts out every few seconds. It is totally unusable. I am still on my trial subscription and will not renew unless there is a fix for this.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
You are not the first to post problems with XM radio. From what I've seen with other posts from other forums the location of the antenna seems to be a big issue and the fact that when you lose "line of site" with the satellite you lose reception. I don't have XM and from what I'm hearing I'm glad I don't. Hope you can get it resolved.

Oh, yea, dburge, welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. Where do you call home? Ride safe and enjoy the site...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two Wheel Wing Cartersville, Ga is home. I was hoping maybe someone had found a fix. I saw last night on the XM site they actually have a motorcycle antenna they say is better. my opinion Honda should buy and install seeing as their factory system is sooooo terrible. I love my bike other than that and the fact you cannot do anything with the GPS while riding but safety first right?

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Two Wheel Wing Cartersville, Ga is home. I was hoping maybe someone had found a fix. I saw last night on the XM site they actually have a motorcycle antenna they say is better. my opinion Honda should buy and install seeing as their factory system is sooooo terrible. I love my bike other than that and the fact you cannot do anything with the GPS while riding but safety first right?
I've had ((( XM ))) in my work van for three years. It is subject to " known " dead spots for reception. Don't have it on my moto, but wish I did as you can never go back to FM. If ((( XM ))) has an antenna correction for this that would be great. I have an '08 so my radio is not ((( XM ))) ready, but I would consider the alternative hook-ups if I knew the price of the signal is worth it.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Also guys, check the lifetime option. I bought the Sirius radio several years ago and I paid $400.00 for lifetime. As long as the receiver keeps working, it should pay off. XM should be offering a similar package deal. Even if it's $500.00 - I think it is still worth it, rather than paying those monthly charges.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda is Clueless on XM issues

Took ours in for the XM reception issues after Honda Ca. said I had to report it thru a dealer first, did it and as Honda Ca. said first we heard of it, so don't waste your time on dealer aid as they get no support for it from Honda and likely have no ideas either, too bad a company as huge as honda can't come to the forums to see the short falls of their Goldwing, as Honda said to me, we don't give advice in forums and we don't take it from there either, well ain't Honda special, build but don't improve until you are ready for a new model, wow what a concept. And yes I am a bit ripped, 35k and you can't play their radios. Oh P.S. they start off blaming XM so I checked with them and its back to Honda's fault they just don't want to accept it.

Lc

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem with my XM radio on a 2009 I purchased in brand new in February. I took it to a couple of dealers and they went through all the wiring and everything, but everything comes back to there specs. I believe that its where the antenna is located that causes the problem. What I have noticed (I live in northern Kentucky) is that when I travel east is when I have the most cut outs. I can do a u-turn and travel the same exact road going the opposite direction and have no dropouts which leads me to believe its the antenna placement thats the culprit.
I actually looked at the receiver, which is in the lid of the trunk, and found the antenna connection hoping that I could plug in an aftermarket antenna and be happy but of course they have some weird kind of recessed connector that I have been unable to find. Any help with this matter would be great because I really do love having XM built into the bike.

·
Registered
738 Posts
XM works well on the flat lands,but s no good where there is anything to block the sats.I wouldn't make a monthly payment on something is that undependable.The other thing I didn't like was that when I tuned into 70's rock I got Barry Manilow doing Stairway to Heaven(not original artists)We just use an MP3.No monthly payment and you listen to what you like.JMHO

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Radio

I had sirius for a couple years and finally let the subscription run out. It worked as advertized. I had my helmet wired up and fitted with speakers by J and M. Even so, I had to turn up the volume to about 15-16 to hear the radio over the road, wind , engine noise. If I rode for an hour or two, I would be nearly deaf because of the blow out noise in the helmet. It wasn't worth it to me even though I enjoyed the programing etc. Also, with my 1/2 helemt (no speakers) it is the same story, to hear the radio I need the volume on 17-18 or more to hear the radio at 65mph or more. So I ride quiet, if I need the WB I will stop and listen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going tomorrow and Honda is going to install the XM Motorcycle antenna so cross your fingers. I spoke with XM Radio last week and they put one on a 2010 Goldwing the signal went from 1 out of 10 bars and the new antenna had a 9 out of 10 for signal. Will know tomorrow afternoon.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I am interested to hear how this goes... Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had the Motorcycle XM Antenna installed today at Cycle Nation in Canton Georgia. My reception is 200% better than stock was. On the way to get it on the XM blanked out at least 30 times on the way home it blanked out 4 and that was in areas of the road where the trees were very thick.
This is not covered under the warranty so it cost me $85 for one hour of service. But in my opinion well worth the cost. I suggest that everyone who has issues with the XM Radio call Honda and complain to get them to make this a recall. If you need more information let me know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What aftermarket antenna did you install? Was it the one specifically for the motorcycle? Where did you mount it at? Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The antenna is the SMRT45 Antenna http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/xmsatelliteradiomotorcycleantenna.aspx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190422335781&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=?*F?&GUID=f6090ede1250a0265384c6d4fd6fb8d4&itemid=190422335781&ff4=263602_263622

It is mounted on the front windshield on the right hand side about 6" above the fairing trim. The trick is the antenna has to be spliced into the system and if it is not done correctly you could mess up the system. If that happens everything has to come apart fairing and all. I contacted a lady at XM Radio named Joy Brown she was very helpful, and the first bike was done in Florida by a dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds great! You dont by chance have the phone number you used to contact Joy Brown handy do you? I want to get this done asap im very tired of the dropouts!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sat on the phone with XM today for over an hour and they have no idea about Honda Goldwings! Dburge if I can get the number you used to contact Joy Brown that would be great. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.