Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same problem I am with my built in XM radio. I have a 2009 GL1800 that I purchased new in March of this year. The problem that I am experiencing is that my XM loses its signal quite often while riding. My riding buddy has an aftermarket XM radio on his bike and when we ride together I lose my signal constantly while his maintains a perfect signal. I was just wondering if it was maybe a design flaw with antenna placement by Honda? Im not apposed to putting an aftermarket XM antenna on my bike if its possible. If anybody else is experiencing this please respond especially if you have a solution. Thanks in advance for your information.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I also have an after market XM radio on my 2008 Gl1800. I added the spoiler to the trunk this winter and mounted the xm antenna to the top of thie spoiler with velcro, ran the wire into the spoiler by loosening the light strip and fed the wire through the holes for the light wire, fished it thru the trunk, under the seat to the left fairing pocket where my radio resides. plugged it into the audio connector, connected the power converter (5 volts). Works great seldom lose signal in by semi rural setting. I do need to put a filter in the power line to eliminate the alternator whine. I think that the Wings with the built in xm use the same antenna as the nav system so I don't know if this is possible or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply but my question is has anyone added an aftermarket XM antenna to the built in XM radio. My Goldwing came equipped with the XM radio/GPS combo built in. I was just wondering if anyone has successfully added an external antenna for better reception.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
My statement was that I think that the xm and nav systems use the same antenna. That is not true according my service manual. There are two separtae antennae. I suppose that you could add an external antenna if the connector on the new cable from the antenna is the same as the one that is built in to the onboard system already there. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since you bought it new, you might want to run it back to the dealer since it should still be under warranty. Sounds like it might have a loose connection somewhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I once had an instructor who told me: "There is no such thing as a stupid question, there are only questions asked by stupid people." So here is my stupid question. Are 08 Goldwings able to receive XM Radio out of the factory, or do I have to get the after market XM hardware? Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
FL510, You are absolutely right, there are no dumb questions. But to answer your question..No they are not able to receive xm without some sort of additional receiver. You can play the new unit thru the aux cable in the left hand fairing pocket or use the xm radios fm modulator. You set a seldom used frequency that you choose from a list that comes with the radio. Just set your freq choice to an fm button and there you go. Hopes this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts