Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for 30+ years both at work and for leisure. I figured someday to have a Harley but I've always wanted a Wing. Have an opportunity to purchase an 07 wing loaded w/only 2500 miles for about the same price I'd pay for an 09+ Electra Glide Ultra Classic. I've figured quite a few members have been in the same situation and would like to know your opinion. I'm concerned about the Wing's size and splitting traffic, (tight situations where low speed clutch and throttle are necessary to maneuver). Then I'm concerned about every couple of years Harley does something to keep people buying the newer bike like recent larger tire and new frame in 09. In advance, I would like to thank everyone for allowing me to tap into their knowledge about the subject. Ride safe!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ride both and see which one you like better. I did and preferred the GW. The GW with 2500 miles sounds like a deal to me, it's a buyer's market, so you probably can get it for a better price than asking.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Welcome. I agree that you should ride both and see which one feels better to you. I'm not a fan of "lane splitting", so I can't comment on which would be better.. Ride safe

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
Welcome & you've gotten some good advice so far. Yes ride them both & decide for yourself is absolutely the best idea. Like Two Wheel not a lane splitter (I guess we show our age & conservitism here Charlie).

As far as the size goes of the Wing in tight stuff. You won't have an issue if you are a seasoned rider. The big girl is nimble. As far as HD changing things, as soon as you buy anything anymore somebody is coming out with a "new model of" it seems. I don't think I would let that influence my purchase.

Good Luck & Ride Safe.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello namelama, welcome to GWOF. rent one of each for a day, that will show you what it would be like to owne them and which to buy

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome from Seattle.

An 07 with 2500 miles on her won't be around too long. Someone will make the choice for you.

If you have time to do the research.... rent one of each for a day.... be sure to take your woman along and ask her which one she would prefer to ride on the back of.

I ride a 94 Interstate Wing. It is my first one wing. I am not sure I need to go up to an 1800 but if I knew where I could buy an 07 with 2500 miles on it.... I probably would buy it while you were out test riding the Harley.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've been riding for 30+ years both at work and for leisure. I figured someday to have a Harley but I've always wanted a Wing. Have an opportunity to purchase an 07 wing loaded w/only 2500 miles for about the same price I'd pay for an 09+ Electra Glide Ultra Classic. I've figured quite a few members have been in the same situation and would like to know your opinion. I'm concerned about the Wing's size and splitting traffic, (tight situations where low speed clutch and throttle are necessary to maneuver). Then I'm concerned about every couple of years Harley does something to keep people buying the newer bike like recent larger tire and new frame in 09. In advance, I would like to thank everyone for allowing me to tap into their knowledge about the subject. Ride safe!
I own both... 2000 UC and a 1989 GW GL1500 trike. The UC is a couch - as is the Wing. I really do like the UC; it glides along effortlessly and it has less plastic than the GW; you can see the engine - and it looks nice.

The Wing, otoh, is a smooth operator with its 6cyl engine and will likely cost less maintenance-wise over time. Side by side, my UC and GL1500 about the same size - the UC might be a tad larger. I'm not sure about the GL1800's - they might be bigger.

It comes down to whether you prefer a v-twin with a classic look, lots of metal, real chrome, great touring capability, fairly decent resale, open door to any motorcycle group, and a choice to pursue the Harley lifestyle if you're into that.

The Wing offers a more modern-look somewhat akin to sport bikes with the cowlings, but has as many bells and whistles (more with Navi) as the UC; 6cyl engine that will proably go on forever; and equally great touring capability as the UC, and a choice to hang with Goldwingers who may be as selective as Harley riders when it comes to who they prefer in their riding clubs.

Both bikes have endless aftermarket items available for them.

Now, if it was me... I'd likely spring for the UC; they are gorgeous, timeless machines. I added my GW since it was a trike (for the wife and I to share riding together), used, and not very expensive. Having both bikes on 2 wheels would have been unnecessarily redundant. At least with the GW triked, I can tell myself that they are different and will serve different purposes :)

You, however, may be happier with the Wing since, as you said, it's what you've always wanted.

You can rent both like someone mentioned, but I have to own it for awhile to commit to it and love it. It's rare I get the chance to A/B a bike long enouhg to make an intelligent choice between the best of 2 worlds.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Ride both and decide for yourself, But I would say if you want something nimble, fast and handles great you will come away on the Gold Wing. Less maintenance than the Harley, and actually worth more down the road. A Gold Wing with 50,000 is just broke in, a Harley with 50,000 is almost broke. :eek:
My son bought an 067 Ultra Classic a few months back, and he got it for $12,250. It only had 15,000 miles on it and had the extended warranty and has a bunch of extras. It is a beautiful bike but I think if you ride both, the wing and the HD over twisted roads and on the highway there is no comparison.
Now if you want something that is FUN to ride and have no trouble splitting traffic and you can take to the track if you are so inclined, you need one of these.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
One of them will sing to you and that's the one to buy. Longevity is the hallmark of Goldwings, and mystique is the Harley's forte, both are great machines.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I rode a Electra-Glide standard for 106,000 miles before I bought my first Goldwing. A 2010 Audio/Comfort. Before I bought it I rented one for a day and put 600 miles on it and was impressed with its smoothness and intoxicated with its power and handling. My Harley would wallow in the turns. The Goldwing has more ability than I dare which keeps me out of trouble. Its weight is no problem at all and it is a great bike for riding in rain. At slow speeds the six is smooth where the Harley with two means you use the clutch more. I like the fact its liquid cooled so the temp is constant and the Harley builds in traffic. I rode a 2010 UC just to make sure that I wanted a Goldwing. Yup I sure did and I'm not looking back. Harleys a good bike but nothing like six cylinders under you. And I tired of the image that most associate with Harley. I just love to ride and I vote for the Wing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I own both bikes.....
I think you buy a Harley because you want to own a Harley....period.
It is not comparable to a GW in my opinion. They are apples and oranges.
Ride both...get what moves your heart

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well gentlemen and ladies, I followed much of your advice and found the Wing to be more to my liking. I rode the UC and I must admit the bike is a beauty. I'm not much into the HD hype and actually feel a little cheated paying big bucks for old technology. Conversely, the Wing was rather intimidating until I started moving. The bike fit like a glove on the first mount and impressive combination of power & agility for a large bike. Taking the train to the dealer and I've got a 2 1/2 hour ride home to become acquainted next week. Thanks for all of your advice.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
All very good advice and ultimately the choice is yours. Had a 99 UC and now a 93 Wing and both were excellent bikes. Sold the UC to my Brother who likes the sound, I like the quiet power. Just enjoy what you get.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well gentlemen and ladies, I followed much of your advice and found the Wing to be more to my liking. I rode the UC and I must admit the bike is a beauty. I'm not much into the HD hype and actually feel a little cheated paying big bucks for old technology. Conversely, the Wing was rather intimidating until I started moving. The bike fit like a glove on the first mount and impressive combination of power & agility for a large bike. Taking the train to the dealer and I've got a 2 1/2 hour ride home to become acquainted next week. Thanks for all of your advice.
Congrats! You've made the choice that is right one for you and that's what it's all about. HDs are expensive, which is why I bought mine fairly old but with lower miles - like 2K per year until I got it. I'll let someone else pay the depreciation :)

I hope you can sleep nights waiting in anticipation of riding that train to pick up your new lady. I hope you two have a great ride back and decades of safe fun together.

·
Registered
168 Posts
While the only HD I have had was a FXR , I have rode the Ultra it's a nice bike in it's world of Cruisers it is the bike to have. Now in the world of Luxo Touring The Wing is the King. So which do you want...up to you !

·
Registered
741 Posts
I split lanes all the time with my Wing. It is much wider than my sportbikes so I pick and choose my openings. I love HD for the soulful sound (as long as its not too loud) and ability to customize/personalize (more so than a Wing). However, for me, the Wing has much better power, handles immensely better, a better long distance ride, and is much more comfortable for the passenger. So except for asthetics, the Wing wins hands down.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I own a 2003 UC and a 2012 GW. And I still can't decide which one I love more. They are very different animals and both have different things to love. The GW has much lower maintenance cost, just consider the oil changes: UC @ 2500 miles, GW @ 8000. I can also attest to the fact that the GW can be layed on its side (from the center stand, not moving) with no damage. And subsequently picked up very easily. This is not true of the UC. There will be damage and it will be very difficult to pick up (experience thing again). The power of the UC is not even comparable to the GW. No one I know has ever purchased an UC for the power or the handling (although the feeling of the UC when you crank on her is phenominal). Now I can tell you that the audio and CB on the UC are superior to the GW, in fact they are far superior. The passenger controls for audio and heated seat is better on the UC; GW has the audio as a slave to the driver on the GW, on the UC she can listen when mine is all the way down, the GW can only go lower than mine, not more.The chrome on the UC is also something that IMHO can't be equaled. Another thing that I hope GW never equals is the cost of parts; the UC is incredibly expensive to repair. I took the S.O. on a 1200 mile trip last weekend and she did confess that the GW seat was superior to the UC. The heat output of the GW was lower than the UC as well. The UC was a better fit for a guy 5'8", but I don't really have a problem with the GW, it is just a bit taller in the saddle, although side by side the UC windshield is taller. The GW has more wind buffetting, not just wind in your face but buffetting back and forth, side to side. So I guess it is all personnel preference on which you purchase. I will probably have to keep both for a few more years just to determine which one is better.

WeldNut

1 - 18 of 18 Posts