Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a GL1800 front bottom cowl, the one behind the bottom front fender. Something that is not broken, has the mounting holes in tack and the cutouts for the fog lights have not been removed. A cowl that can be sanded and painted that will look good.

·
Premium Member
23,763 Posts
I'm not ready to pull the trigger, but I have the chrome lower cowl in my Wingstuff wishlist. My stock is in good shape ( no cracks, a few minor road debris pings ), and I would like to get the chrome one for a retail price of about $90. Make me an offer on mine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you check out ebay some are listed for $40. Send me a pic and I will check it out and make an offer

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
I thought about the chrome cowl as well, but I think I'll talk to my body mechanic bud and see about colour matching it. I'd look up the OEM replacements, but the site's down at the moment. When it comes up I'll get you the price of new stuff for comparison.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Budoka, but the OEM replacement cost is not realistic. the cowling can be located on ebay and other sites. Chrome cowls price run from $60.00 to as high as $200. Some people's prices are high because the OEM price is high. But supply and demand is the pricing guide on other sites.

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
You're very right about supply and demand. The cowl is the same for all 1800's '01-'10 (didn't look at the '12) p/n 64302-MCA-000ZA and they should go for around $100 at a US dealer. I know you're not looking at new, but just FYI. Used parts are worth exactly what you can get them for or what you can get for them:D

·
Premium Member
23,763 Posts
Wet: My lower cowl has the cut outs removed as I'm using Electrical Connection's amber driving lights.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a little information about the cowling for the 2012, the 12's front cowl's diff is it has square openings for the fog lights verses the others which are round. the exhaust cowling is the same with or without the toe warmers, which are a joke. I haven't been there "yet" but I would bet that under the plastic everything's the same. Which would make the old saying Beauty is only skin deep true.

·
Premium Member
23,763 Posts
Wet: My lower cowl has the cut outs removed as I'm using Electrical Connection's amber driving lights.
My bad, Wet. Re-reading your original post I now see what cowl conditions and stipulations you are looking for. P.S. I went to the D.C. Motorcycle Show last Sunday and they had a 2012 on display, of course, and the rectangular cut outs were exhibited with round driving lights. You would have thought they would have had a light to fit the hole. Somebody goofed or didn't care or ....... ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
just want a cowl that can be painted or used on the bike while my cowl is being painted. Either will do. maybe that I'll discard the substitute after painting my cowl.

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Hey Wetumpka, just an observation from my experience. The foot vents provide far more warmth than you might at first imagine. I had the opportunity to 'need' all the heat I could muster on a ride last fall, and in -4*c (25*f) there was a noticeable difference in the comfort level with the vents open. I flipped the switch several times at various intervals to 'feel' the difference and it's very real. It isn't so much the amount of heat that comes out, but it deflects the cold air flow by a sizeable amount with the vents open. I wish I could say the same for the fairing vents...hot or cold weather they don't do much of anything:rolleyes:
As to what's under the 'skin' of the cowl, the 2012 is mechanically the same adorable GL that it has been since '01 (wink)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy Snowballs Budoka, that's to cold to be riding a motorcycle even if you have heated riding gear!! Given the temp of -4*c and a speed of 40 mph would make the chill factor of colder than a witches boob in a brass bra on the Jan 1, while flying in Santa's slay over the North pole. I was stationed in Thule Greenland and sometimes it got down to -50*f, and you can't even make snowballs at that temperature.

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Might be some work, but I'd stick with the painting, it's very unique. REmember, that was -4*c:D

·
Premium Member
23,763 Posts
These pictures show the parts that I had painted. I would like to ask everyone if they think this kind of thing would look good for the front bottom cowl, or if they think a chromed cowl would look better?
That's a tough one. If you were going to chrome cover the heads I would think a chrome lower cowl would work. If not, I like the subdued colors of the metallic silver paint. Tough call. All I know is I want that seat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a tough one. If you were going to chrome cover the heads I would think a chrome lower cowl would work. If not, I like the subdued colors of the metallic silver paint. Tough call. All I know is I want that seat.
I purchased that seat off ebay. just enter Honda GL 1800 Goldwing Pro Tour seat by Hartco and do a search, I know it comes in red, blue, black and gray. just ask if they have it in the color you want.:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Chopin114 you'd sacrifice your Utopia backrest?:eek:

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
TBH Maestro, I wonder about a lot of things, most of them I gotta keep to myself though:eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts