Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quoted $140 for 4000 mile service .. damn its just an oil change.

and .. $1899 for a 3 year service warranty .... divided by 36 months is 52.75 a month.

The Goldwing uses the same filter and oils as my VTX. I got the engine oil change down to about $22 bucks.

No way is it worth it even with the the cost of the big service interval.

·
Premium Member
24,632 Posts
The first service only requires an oil change, there's really nothing to do other than a visual inspection. A thorogh visual of a bike as sophisticated as a Wing should take a bout an hour, so by the time you factor in the oil and filter and the 15-20 minutes it takes to do it, the total you were quoted isn't far off by today's rates. Nothing says you can't do the same thing yourself though. Pay yourself the extra "c" note or so and treat yourself to a spree at Wingstuff or somenthing.:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah .. but both you and I know that they are going to do the oil change and thats it !! "Oh, yeah, everything is fine."

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Yeah .. but both you and I know that they are going to do the oil change and thats it !! "Oh, yeah, everything is fine."
I guess I'm the Paranoid type, when it comes to Service work. I have marked my filter to be sure that its changed. Even when I took the bike to get the recall checked, I noticed a small change in the sound on the bike. I'm way too Paranoid....Thats the main reason I change my own oil.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I hear ya, man ! I looked at the video that is floating around. I think, like my last bike, it will take longer to get the tools out than to do the oil change.

$140 ... they need to start filling the crack pipe 1/2 way up .... :D:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I gladly pay the price so i don't have to fool with it ! I have other things to do and besides i figure if i can afford a Goldwing i can afford to have it serviced .

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

I make a pretty decent living and so does the wife ... but I still like to save where I can. $100 for a $35 oil change is excessive .. for me. I just bought Valvoline 4t synth. for around $32 plus the $3 filter ... Id rather not mess with it either, but am not willing to pay three times what it should be .. and for the miles I put on my bikes, they'd send me to the poor house ! 4k in ~6 weeks and riding season "proper" isnt here yet.

Lets see ... 52 / 6 is 8.6 so thats over 800 bucks in just oil changes at the dealer per year compared to about 300 bucks if I do it myself. My indy can do brakes and tires, breather tube .. etc etc. The only thing I really would want to go to the dealer for is any internal engine stuff .. valve adjusts for instance.

Something like another post where the guy stripped a lug nut .. no question, off to the mechanic.

·
Premium Member
24,119 Posts
As much as I like my local Honda Dealer and all the folks there, they understand that they won't see me for regular service. I buy my parts from them just to stay in touch and would not hesitate to just drop by and chew the fat. I'll let them do the tires, especially since they will mount a car tire. I changed the clutch fluid and air filter but have yet to change the brake fluid, and between you and me I would prefer to let them do it with their professional grade equipment, but Mz. Vickie seems so proud of me when she sees me doing it for her. Her motto is , " It's not how much you make, it's how much you save. " Damn Scottish.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I was quoted $200.00 for the 3k service but the service rep said if I was to bring my Wing in for the recall he would take off $100.00 bucks. what a rip off. Needless to say I did the work my self.

·
Administrator
29,013 Posts
I like others do most of my own changes. Nothing to do with being frugal. Just want to that's all.

Here is something that's always gets lost in this type of discussion, & thought process. A dealer has salaries to pay, operating expenses & oh yes that little line item that is known as Profit. They are in buisness & the one thing about buisness that is supposed to be constant is You're supposed to make money.

The Service Writer is working for a living as is the mechanic who will work on the bike.

As I said I to do most general items but if the bike has to go in for something else I will usually have the dealer take care of them. As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Premium Member
24,119 Posts
I like others do most of my own changes. Nothing to do with being frugal. Just want to that's all.

Here is something that's always gets lost in this type of discussion, & thought process. A dealer has salaries to pay, operating expenses & oh yes that little line item that is known as Profit. They are in buisness & the one thing about buisness that is supposed to be constant is You're supposed to make money.

The Service Writer is working for a living as is the mechanic who will work on the bike.

As I said I to do most general items but if the bike has to go in for something else I will usually have the dealer take care of them. As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.
Pardon my constant responses here this morning, but the ice has us home for the early morning hours. Yes sir, fossil. I feel a tinge of guilt not supporting our local Honda business . As in my profession any homeowner " could " fix his own garage door if he wanted to spend the time, research if necessary, procure the needed parts, etc. Their are a lot of self-help video and write -ups on all topic for the do-it-to-yourselfers. My guilt is mitigated, however, by the fact that their waiting pen is always full of bikes in for repair. Yes, even some Goldwings.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Since I'm the newbie here to Wing ownership and forum membership longevity and therefore have yet to do an oil change; is it not fairly straight forward and easy to do? I do it on my Maxi Scooter which also includes doing the final drive too and having to strip some tupperware. Also, I switched to Rotelle synthetic on the scooter so what do you think about this for my GL 1500? What is your normal oil change interval for standard oil vs synthetic? Thanks guys for indulging me here for what is perhaps an overworn discussion?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I agree with Fossil92 the repair center and workers deserve a profit and a decent wage.
however if the cost for a simple service like a 3k cost $200.00 which is keeping away their
clients they should lower the price to a more reasonable rate to get more people in.
the more chances they will get to upsell a service. and make more money. I would have no problem bringing my Wing in for service if I knew I wasnt being bent over. it took me less than an hour to perform more work to my wing than they offered to do for $200.00
IMHO that is one way to insure they will never get my bike in their service bay.

·
Premium Member
24,119 Posts
Since I'm the newbie here to Wing ownership and forum membership longevity and therefore have yet to do an oil change; is it not fairly straight forward and easy to do? I do it on my Maxi Scooter which also includes doing the final drive too and having to strip some tupperware. Also, I switched to Rotelle synthetic on the scooter so what do you think about this for my GL 1500? What is your normal oil change interval for standard oil vs synthetic? Thanks guys for indulging me here for what is perhaps an overworn discussion?
Dan. Take a look on this page and see if it shows you anything of use :http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500oilchange.htm

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does doing the work ourselves have any affect regarding the warranty? Are there any things we are required to have a Honda dealer do to keep the warranty valid?

·
Premium Member
24,119 Posts
Does doing the work ourselves have any affect regarding the warranty? Are there any things we are required to have a Honda dealer do to keep the warranty valid?
Wondered that myself. I've skipped their so called scheduled service since I had the bike. I believe the original owner just did the 8,000 mile service when I bought the bike. Now have 28,600 miles on her. If it's not broke I don't see any reason to take it in.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Gee, thanks Chopin as I checked it out and looks very easy to do. That was an interesting catch basin he was draining the oil into. Looks like something you'd find out in west Texas as it appeared to be an old wooden vessel wrapped with wire to hold it together. Now that's the epitome of frugality; doing your own oil change and using great grandpa's old dog bowl. BTW, any links on choices of oil/links? Thanks good buddy.

·
Registered
674 Posts
As long as you have proof that the required work was performed the manufacture has to honor their warranty, However if you add aftermarket parts to the bike those parts are not covered and you run the risk of having the dealer tell you a certain item or system is no longer covered due to the non factory parts or installation of factory parts. a perfect example is if you add a bunch of lights and extra electronics to your wing you may void your battery and charging system warranty.
However a warranty IMHO is worthiess these days unless you have a obvious factory defect, the first thing the stealer will try to do is blame the customer or claim they cannot find the problem. The line I always here from Honda is just drop it off and sign this form saying you will be responsible for a diagnostic fee if they feel your symptom is non warranty related.

·
Premium Member
24,119 Posts
Gee, thanks Chopin as I checked it out and looks very easy to do. That was an interesting catch basin he was draining the oil into. Looks like something you'd find out in west Texas as it appeared to be an old wooden vessel wrapped with wire to hold it together. Now that's the epitome of frugality; doing your own oil change and using great grandpa's old dog bowl. BTW, any links on choices of oil/links? Thanks good buddy.
Steve Saunders is Irish, I believe. So if you watch his videos you have work through that accent. Dig around in the site for oil talk, etc. Just be careful about asking " which oil is the best ??? " anywhere. You'll start a war of words.

·
Premium Member
24,632 Posts
As long as you have proof that the required work was performed the manufacture has to honor their warranty, However if you add aftermarket parts to the bike those parts are not covered and you run the risk of having the dealer tell you a certain item or system is no longer covered due to the non factory parts or installation of factory parts. a perfect example is if you add a bunch of lights and extra electronics to your wing you may void your battery and charging system warranty.
However a warranty IMHO is worthiess these days unless you have a obvious factory defect, the first thing the stealer will try to do is blame the customer or claim they cannot find the problem. The line I always here from Honda is just drop it off and sign this form saying you will be responsible for a diagnostic fee if they feel your symptom is non warranty related.
knelson, some of your points are very valid regarding 'stealers'. However, as I am a dealer I can assure you that it is also a two way street. We see machines (not just m/c's but atv's, snowmobiles, chainsaws...) every week that according to the customer were never abused or mistreated. Believe me this is often far from the case and is very easily identified to the trained professional. In the case of a Goldwing however, abuse is seldom an issue and most claims are legit or at the very least a case of an owner not knowing how to manage certain systems as they were intended to be used by the manufacturer, often because the selling dealer didn't take enough time during the delivery process with the customer. A good thing to remember is ALL dealerships are businesses, and as such the main goal of ANY business is profit. Without it, there would be no dealerships anywhere for anyone to rely on OR complain about. Just as I'm sure you don't want to work for less reward, is it fair to expect me (or any dealer) do the same?;)
Dan, I'll see if I can post the shop manual maintenance schedule here on this thread today, but there is a section in your owners manual that contains almost the exact same information.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.