Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the temp is going to be about 35* in the morning, would you ride 30 miles to work? I'm thinking I just might.:)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I rode a few mornings ago, and it was 37 degrees on my temperature gauge... I ride about 28 miles each way to work. Last year, I rode at 18 degrees. But the choice is easy for me, because I don't own a car...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I would easy...BUT I would have on chaps,2 t shirts,a sweat shirt hoodie and my Joe Rocket jacket with the lining in. Fleece balaclava it goes on before the sweat shirt so my neck is covered. I do not have good gloves so my grips would be on. I am leaving tomorrow and ridding about 200 miles temps in the low 30's to start.
I have been out when the temp was ZERO. That is not fun! I was on a KZ1000 not near the wind protection as the wing and def not the heated gear. I rode little over and hour and when I got home I was so cold I almost threw up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've ridden down in to the low teens when I lived in NH... Gerbings and First Gear stuff..;)

Now that I'm in Florida, they think 50 at night is cold.. The weather guessers are all wound up about the "winter weather" we're having.. It only gets up to 72 in the daytime... :rolleyes::rolleyes::)

=Dave=

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I usually have an above freezing rule. Will ride into the upper 20's if it's dry. I have heated gear so it's not so much about the cold, I just hate the idea of hitting anything frozen on the ground.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
After recieving about 8" of snow today, I'd consider 35F a blessing if I could still ride to work at all...

Bundle up, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Told my wife that I need to invest in heated gear, she just rolled her eyes.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Don't be a wimp.:D My youngest Daughter road 150 miles in 30f temps a couple of years ago. As long as there is no ice:eek: on the road all is good. And why not have heated gear if you need it.:D

·
Administrator
29,009 Posts
Looks like the temp is going to be about 35* in the morning, would you ride 30 miles to work? I'm thinking I just might.:)
Have & would.:cool:

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
When I lived in Michigan it wasn't unusual for a bunch of friend to take off riding up north to Indian River during the color change in October when it was in the 30's. I always wore a snowmobile suite.

·
Administrator
15,302 Posts
Like a lot of others, have, would, and do. If it's that cold usually on the Honda with the extra wind protection. Down to 50 in the morning I take the Yamaha. You can dress for the cold and while I don't have heated gear (yet) a lot do and really like it.

I hope you decided to ride. The afternoon temperature is important and riding home makes the end of the day all good. Of course sometimes I get "lost" and it takes a little longer to get home....

·
Administrator
15,302 Posts
When I lived in Michigan .
Where at? I'm a former Michigander myself, grew up in Detroit, although it was 30+ years ago. Where are you now?

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
i did ride to work this morning. its 29f but its only 4.5 miles taking the long way and i didn't have any heated gear plugged in

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Where at? I'm a former Michigander myself, grew up in Detroit, although it was 30+ years ago. Where are you now?
I'm back home in Oklahoma now but I was a long time GWRRA member. I lived in Westland Michigan and rode with a bunch of chapter members from there. I've been to Telway's White Castle many times down on Michigan Ave. This was back in 1986-'91.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
I'm back home in Oklahoma now but I was a long time GWRRA member. I lived in Westland Michigan and rode with a bunch of chapter members from there. I've been to Telway's White Castle many times down on Michigan Ave. This was back in 1986-'91.
you ate at white castle and telway and lived to tell about it. you truly have a cast iron stomach :D
telway is down the street from chadsey high school, i grageated from there :D

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I do not have the heated gear and WILL ride as long as there isn't ice or snow or chance there of.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
I think they were called "Sliders."
white castle burgers are still called sliders but there a wreck once they hit your stomach :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.