Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say you stop in a town with 2 gas stations; a 7-11 and a Shell. The 7-11 gas is cheaper, but the Shell station advertises all sorts of yummy additives to "keep your engine running clean". Where would you fill up?

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I will only pay more for Non-Ethanol.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
I fuel usually at the big name stations but not because of additives, more conditioning I guess.

My only exception is a busy convience store due to volume of gas sold.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I will only pay more for Non-Ethanol.
As far as I'm concerned, we shouldn't have to pay more for non-ethanol gas. That being said, if it was available in my area, for a few cents more I would buy it. At present, I'm adding StarTron to all my vehicles and small engines to neutralize that ethanol crap!

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, we shouldn't have to pay more for non-ethanol gas. That being said, if it was available in my area, for a few cents more I would buy it. At present, I'm adding StarTron to all my vehicles and small engines to neutralize that ethanol crap!
Pay me now or Pay me later

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I am willing to pay more for better fuel. I pay over $4.20 a gallon for non-ethanol premium for the bike. I also buy fuel for my car at a station that is out of the way because I get 20% better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
60 Posts
silly question...are there any adverse aspects to using ethanol in the wing. My wife's bike cannot use ethanol so we generally fill up at a major if we can.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
silly question...are there any adverse aspects to using ethanol in the wing. My wife's bike cannot use ethanol so we generally fill up at a major if we can.
I don't know about the 1800s, but the older Wings with carburetors hate the stuff. It just plain and simply gums things up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I get no difference in mileage from reg to prem. Don't have straight gas here that I know of. So being the cheep A I am I run the cheepist I can find. However I carry my own additives that add to the cost and always use them. No knock. By the way Shell is one of the foreign owned gas companys.

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Yes, I'd pay for corn free fuel.
Better for the engine.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't know about the 1800s, but the older Wings with carburetors hate the stuff. It just plain and simply gums things up.
I can tell you that when I had my Valkyrie (6 carburetors), if I didn't run that bike often and treat the gas I was in for a complete carb break down to clear the jets! It happened twice to me. :mad:

Now with my Wing, I'm still treating my gasoline with StarTron (dealer recommended) and every other engine I have!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I email my congressman and senators about once a month to ask why we have an additive like ethanol in our gas, it is less efficient and causes damage to fuel systems. Instead of it saving us money it is costing us in less MPG and more repairs.This year with the corn harvest in such bad condition it would be a great time to do away with it. Uncle Sam wants more MPG but is working against itself to achieve the goal.
I have heard that Ford makes turbo diesel cars in Europe that get 60+mpg, but they will not bring them to the states because Ford doesn't believe diesel is accept here in the US. If I drove a car everyday I would be all over that.

Diesel power Wing????

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Ethanol is tough to escape where I live. Nearest "straight gas" station is 15 miles from me.

So, as others on the Forum are surely sick of hearing, I use SeaFoam regularly in my fuel. Average tank would be a 2-3 ounces; a "treatment" tank, like after carb rebuild or if running rough, 6-8 ounces. It simply works.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
93 octane is a waste of $$ my opinion. The owners manual says 87 is what you need to run. I would pay more for %100 gas though. When your talkin 6.6 gallons thats not alot of $$ anyway

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
If you are burning premium in your Wing, the only one you're doing a favour for is the oil company. Wings are designed to run on 87 octane 'regular' fuel. Supposedly E10 doesn't hurt them but I won't use it unless I have no choice in the matter.
Would I pay more for 'pure' gas, I shouldn't have to but given a direct side by side choice, yes. But this isn't Europe and we already pay exhorbitant prices (can you say cohersed, collusion, and contrived) at the pumps. Why else does the fuel go up at Christmas, Easter, long weekends and other holiday events? Price of crude goes down and the supplies in the tanks need to dwindle before the price at the pumps drops. Price of crude or wholesale price goes up, the pump prices increase the very same day, or at the latest the next day. Can't quite eat the Elmer, it's horse s**t.:mad:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Would I pay more for 'pure' gas, I shouldn't have to but given a direct side by side choice, yes. But this isn't Europe and we already pay exhorbitant prices (can you say cohersed, collusion, and contrived) at the pumps. Why else does the fuel go up at Christmas, Easter, long weekends and other holiday events? Price of crude goes down and the supplies in the tanks need to dwindle before the price at the pumps drops. Price of crude or wholesale price goes up, the pump prices increase the very same day, or at the latest the next day. Can't quite eat the Elmer, it's horse s**t.:mad:
Another definition is "legalized piracy"!

·
Registered
75 Posts
For my Wing and my Boat I only use 100 percent Premium Gasoline and will pay the extra price.
same here,including my 750 Brute Foce quad and
VP112 in my racecar.

Earlier this year riding 2 up thru the mountians,i HAD to buy 87 octane.I had to drop down to SECOND GEAR a couple of times to make it to the top,knocking,pinging.I couldn't wait to burn that load of crap and filler up with premium.It was 'barely' better than walking.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I buy the corn free 87 octane when ever I can find it. If I got to buy the corn syrup, I put in a splash of Star Tron. Winter it with Stable in spring a couple taks of Sea Foam. Can argue with 186,000 miles of no carb problem and still getting over 40 mpg, if I keep my wrist out of it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.