Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2005 Harley Ultra, and rode Harleys for 20+ yrs. I'm thinking about getting something different, something more suited for longer distance touring. My Harley is a fine bike, but seems just a little to top heavy for me when I have a passanger on the back. I took a test ride on the bmw 1600 gtl last week, and I think it would be a fun bike, but it's not exactly what I think I'm looking for. I've never rode a Goldwing, but hope to demo one soon. I'm wondering if it will be less tippy with a passanger than my Ultra, and I'm also wondering about getting a leftover 2010 verses a new model 2012. I can get the navigation 2010 for about the same price as the base model 2012. Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello. I've also been an HD rider for many years. I still have my 2002 Road King Classic which I bought new and it now has over 67K miles. I bought my 2012 Goldwing in July...

There is absolutely NO DOUBT about the comfort and power of the GW. Although I am just as comfortable on the RK which has a hopped-up engine pushing 99 hp, I still love riding both for their differences.

The Goldwing is very well balanced but is just as top heavy as your Ultra. Don't make the switch thinking it will be different in that regard. Another MAJOR difference is the riding posture. The wing will have you sitting more upright with your legs and feet not stretched out as far as on the HD; you can add highway pegs to the wing but you will still notice the posture difference pressure on your hips. Honestly, I prefer the posture of the HD but am still getting used to the wing.

My HD has V&H Long Shots - which you know are very loud. I love the loud [a debate topic here], don't get me wrong. But when on a 10-day trip riding interstate & highway speeds ALL DAY LONG, the quiet smoothness of the GW is like a breath of fresh air.

No matter which you're on, the bigger picture is that it's 2 wheels :) LIVE TO RIDE!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Like night and day, rent a wing for a day, put it through the paces, fast, slow, twisty roads, it will take anything and everything you can throw at it and do it great. Passenger comfort is great, my wife actually fell asleep many time on the back on my Wing when we were traveling.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Joe has it right on - the GW will surely take anything you throw at it. I've heard talk that a wing doesn't do curvies as good, but that is nuts. It's like a sport bike! Trust me on this, I also had a Honda CBR 600 Hurricane back in the day.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The last Ultra I rode was a 2004, and honestly I think it was a wee bit less of a handful at 'ultra' low speeds (pun corny but intended). but I do find the lower slung weight (Cg) better once used to the Wing's slightly higher heft at the scales. Emphasis here on 'slightly'; once at anything over parking lot speeds, and the vastly superior handling of the Wing is readily apparent. Not that the HD handles poorly because it doesn't, it's a great handling bike, the Wing is just better. vtwinreb is right about the more upright posture and I think that's what turns off most would be HD converts with Goldwings, Harley dressers are still cruiser-based touring bikes and the laid back posture is what HD owners crave (was there myself on two different Harleys). Test-ride a Wing as soon as you can and like Joe said, put it through the paces in every way you can imagine...flog the sucker if you want, really. The Wing is a thoroughbred, and it's spirited nature combined with a highly luxurious passenger accomodation make for one amazing ride, for both of you.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Definitely test drive one. I wasn't even looking to buy a Goldwing until I rode a friend of mine's and I was immediately sold. If I were to choose between a 2012 or older model, I would go with how you feel about the styling. The improvements are not worth the extra $$ in my opinion but you really like the styling of the 2012, your choice is made.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
As stated above You need to test ride a wing. I know alot of people that have both a Harley or other brand bike and also a wing. You will be supprized when you ride one for sure.

And like stated above...It does not really matter what you ride as long as you are in the wind.

Ride Safe Always!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Scott, first welcome to the forum. As you can expect folks on here are biased toward the Goldwing. But they are giving you good advice when they say test a Goldwing and then make your decision. $20k bikes are not a small investment and you need to be sure it's what you really like and want. Ride safe whatever you ride...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Differences???

Hello,

I just traded in my '09 Ultra for a 2012 'wing. So, I can speak about both...
The Harley felt better, more solid, less vibration (okay start the screaming now, but it's true), stopped MUCH better, less gimmicky plastic, just all around easier to ride...
The Honda is much quicker, more comfortable for the passenger, more stuff to play with, handled a smidge better, and MUCH MUCH MUCH cooler to ride in hot weather. Also more of a package with the luggage and top box.
I think the Honda will last longer, at 50K miles, my Harley needed $2000 in repairs. I like the solid feel of the controls on the Harley and especially the turn signal switch positions. The cruise was easier to use and didn't jerk when you set it. It shifted so much easier than the Honda that at first I thought the 'wing was broke. And for all of its refinement, Honda lags in some areas. Like the passenger comm system. On the Harley, she could adjust her own volume, a push to talk for the intercom or VOX, change stations, and talk on the INCLUDED CB radio. On the HOnda, the CB is about $800 more and to get the other stuff for the passenger, you have to buy more junk.
But, the Honda should last longer, and did I mention it is MUCH cooler in hot weather????
About the vibration, the Harley had more of a throb, above idle, and it was sort of comforting. The Honda has a high frequency BUZZ that puts your hand to sleep until about 2500 RPM. At idle though, the Honda wins, but who stays at idle on a motorcycle???/
So there you have it.... let the bitching begin...

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
no bitching apopj thats just your honest opinion. i knowguys that had road kings and got a wing, didn't like the wing and went back to a road king and visa versa. it all comes down to what you want in a bike and others opinion of it don't matter. hell my first touring trips were on a norton 750 but at the time i wanted a norton. i went to the dealer to get a wingor a cbr 1000 and rode home on a katana 1100, hey they didn't have a wing or cbr 1000 in stock:) but now days with all the rent a bike places there is no excuse to not try before you buy and if i would had that option i never would have got the katana. by the way welcome to GWOF scott

·
Registered
741 Posts
I loved my Harley and maybe one of these days I'll get another. But for now, I'll be seeing the world from the cockpit of a Wing.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I had a Ultra Classic too, and like you thought it felt a little top heavy. I thought at my age I should go to a much smaller bike so got a Yamaha Vstar for a couple of years but missed my fairing, radios/tape player and comfort. This Spring found a beautiful GW 1500 and never been happier. Whatever your choice be SAFE.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I traded my '09 Ultra in on a 2012 'wing two weeks ago. It is the Comfort model.... I might get to like the 'wing after awhile, but if I could do it all over again, I WOULDN"T..... I gained a cooler ride, maybe a little more oomph. But, the wing is buzzy in the handgrips, the cruise is jerky, there is no PTT on the intercom so you hear all this damn windnoise in the headphones, the transmission is hard to shift, the brakes suck, the controls require you to take you hands off the grips cause they are too far away, the drivers seat is not nearly as comfortable (the passenger is better), it feels plasticy (which it is), footpegs that lock you knees into one position, a weird angle on the bars, the throttle is touchy, no CB for $25,000, and the grips a really skinny.... but the motor is nice. Oh, and the websites for the 'wing are great..... hope that helps but doubt it, I believed all the Goldwing hype also....
Dr. J Popa

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
wow !

I traded my '09 Ultra in on a 2012 'wing two weeks ago. It is the Comfort model.... I might get to like the 'wing after awhile, but if I could do it all over again, I WOULDN"T..... I gained a cooler ride, maybe a little more oomph. But, the wing is buzzy in the handgrips, the cruise is jerky, there is no PTT on the intercom so you hear all this damn windnoise in the headphones, the transmission is hard to shift, the brakes suck, the controls require you to take you hands off the grips cause they are too far away, the drivers seat is not nearly as comfortable (the passenger is better), it feels plasticy (which it is), footpegs that lock you knees into one position, a weird angle on the bars, the throttle is touchy, no CB for $25,000, and the grips a really skinny.... but the motor is nice. Oh, and the websites for the 'wing are great..... hope that helps but doubt it, I believed all the Goldwing hype also....
Dr. J Popa
I think i would burn it ! I would not keep a piece of trash like that in my garage if it has so many flaws , maybe you should look again and be sure you have a Goldwing ! Did you test drive the bike ? I believe you would be happier with a bicycle and a set of walkie talkies !! I have to say you are the only person i have ever heard complain about a Goldwing ! I noticed you are complaining about spending $25,000 on a bike with NO C.B.and skinny grips ! My GOD MAN ! Did you not know that it didn't have the C.B. when you bought it ? I wonder if you are facing the front of the bike when you are riding, since the pegs and the angle of the bars and controls are so far away ! The seat may be more comfortable if you turn around and face the front !!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow guys, thanks for the constructive criticism. Nice to know there is still hope for the educational system in America.....
Apparently, one of you didn't read the post fully, especially about the controls. The bars are exactly the right distance, but the reach to the turn signals, cruise buttons, etc is far enough away that I have to remove, or at least slide my hands from the grips to reach them. And his comment about never hearing a gripe about the 'wing is totally unfounded as he would realize if he even read the previous posts on this thread alone. The gentleman asked for comments and he received my honest opinion. That doesn't mean they are everyone's, but they are mine. I see there are larger aftermarket grips that fit over the heated ones and increase the diameter of the original grip. Apparently, I am not the only one who thinks they are too thin as witnessed by the proliferation of aftermarket grips which all seem to be of a greater diameter. But thanks for the unbiased criticism.
I would have sent a private message, but for some reason, a previous critic has chosen to not receive messages, I can only guess why....

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Wow guys, thanks for the constructive criticism. Nice to know there is still hope for the educational system in America.....
I'm offering you some grip relief. I have a spare pair sitting on a shelf that might help with the skinny grip syndrome. We can fix it, just not all at once.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I think i would burn it ! I would not keep a piece of trash like that in my garage if it has so many flaws , maybe you should look again and be sure you have a Goldwing ! Did you test drive the bike ? I believe you would be happier with a bicycle and a set of walkie talkies !! I have to say you are the only person i have ever heard complain about a Goldwing ! I noticed you are complaining about spending $25,000 on a bike with NO C.B.and skinny grips ! My GOD MAN ! Did you not know that it didn't have the C.B. when you bought it ? I wonder if you are facing the front of the bike when you are riding, since the pegs and the angle of the bars and controls are so far away ! The seat may be more comfortable if you turn around and face the front !!
Be nice now.... perhaps He will park it in his garage and not ride it much between now and 2022. Then I will buy that piece "of you know what" for a reasonable price to get it out of his garage.

I would be here to help all I can.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts