Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left hand is out of commission for awhile . So do you think a DCT would work for me.

Tried to stop a miter saw with my finger. Didn't work. Finger will be fine but with out a DCT no riding for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
9,965 Posts
OUCH, glad your okay.. Hope you heal quickly and are back good as new.

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
Don't do that, it'll hurt! Crap on a cracker, glad to hear that you will still be able to give a 5 finger wave. Hope you heal up soon. The DCT does run down the road really well. I've test rode Mark's and Beve's and I was impressed. When I bought my 2021 they didn't have a DCT in stock so I didn't have to make the decision.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Glad you are okay Ed. Hope you heal up quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have feeler out for a 2021 Red DCT Tour but haven't had many responses yet. But it doesn't matter right now. With this injury I wont be riding for awhile so I might as well wait for a 2022. Will know more when I see the orthopedic surgeon .

Reactions: Luv2fish and NREMTP

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yikes - your injury looks serious but thank goodness you weren't hurt worse. As a kid after a close call feeding a board through a large Milwaukee router, I've always been a bit spooked by high speed blades. My father-in-law has a workshop with every woodworking piece of equipment known to man where he makes fine furniture as a hobby. He laughs any time he tries to show me how to operate one of his table saws because I feed the board through using a two foot long push-stick in each hand.

Heal Up Quickly - Michael

·
Administrator
28,956 Posts
Spinning blades can do damage. Sure glad it wasn't worse. Heal up well, you have riding to do.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Left hand is out of commission for awhile . So do you think a DCT would work for me.

Tried to stop a miter saw with my finger. Didn't work. Finger will be fine but with out a DCT no riding for awhile.
This was the universe telling you to buy a DCT. Tell your wife, be convincing. Oh, keep it out of Sport mode because you only have 3 functional fingers to hold on with that bum hand!

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 277972

My DCT left hand controls are lights and blinker, I do not know if that is something you will be able to do while recuperating your hand.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But isn't the up/down shifter paddles on the left side ? Besides that's the side my coffee cup is on and I can't hold my coffee cup yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually lost those two fingers many decades ago, with time you should hopefully regain most of the use of your hand. Until recently all my bikes had hand clutch levers, including some older Harleys with really stiff clutches.
Earlier this year I bought a 2020 DCT, shift’s beautifully, really great engineering, however I found slow speed cornering much more challenging as you cannot modulate the speed with a clutch lever.
Trust you’ll be better soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
But isn't the up/down shifter paddles on the left side ? Besides that's the side my coffee cup is on and I can't hold my coffee cup yet.
They are but you do not have to use them.
My coffee cup is mounted on the right side with a Kuryakyn Stainless Steel Mug Drink Holders mounted to my brake reservoir.

·
Registered
2021 Metallic Black Goldwing Tour DCT
12 Posts
I was on the fence about DCT or clutch. I’ve ridden since 1980 and my left hand worked on its own with no thought. I finally decided I’d give it a try and went with DCT, and other than a couple reaches for the nonexistent clutch lever and a couple foot movements for an equally nonexistent shifter, I neither miss nor want a manual shift. I find it so much easier at low speed and low speed turns than previous bikes; probably due to extremely low center of mass, and I’ve started using the rear brake for drag in low speed turns in combination with the throttle for even more control.
As previously mentioned by others, high beam, turn signal, and horn may be difficult, but I’d only be concerned with getting a ticket for failure to signal a turn, but I hopefully your thumb is useable at this point.

Best of luck to you and a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Glad to hear you'll retain your digits.

While you're searching for a DCT, maybe look for a SawStop as well? ;)

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
As previously mentioned by others, high beam, turn signal, and horn may be difficult, but I’d only be concerned with getting a ticket for failure to signal a turn, but I hopefully your thumb is useable at this point.
Jinx,
I know you are old enough to remember how to use your arm to signal a turn.

• Haha
Reactions: Ren1 and NREMTP

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Get well soon and when it is physical therapy time, bite the bullet and do it. You don't wat to have to admit that you dropped your new DCT.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts