Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a forum junkie. I love to fix things customize things play with them and normally sale them to go onto next project. I don't really MAKE money or flip things it normally ends up breaking even but mostly cause I'm pretty conservative with what I spent my project money on. My possible new project may end up being a 78 gl1000. I'm mainly looking for you guys advice. Heres the scoop fairly cheap 78 gl1000 about 2 hrs away, gas is covered as it's enroute to a normal place I have to make delieverys for work. I haven't actually checked it out in person only been sent pics and a scetchy explination of what went wrong. supposivly it ran well when parked 2 years ago but someone took carbs off, unknown why but they did, this appreantly lead to water from weather getting into engine. So worse case senerio engine rebuild. it's not clean not pretty at all but he says its all there. I plan on stripping it and doing a complete custom job to frame and such pretty close to the "Flat out"
now a build can go south really bad if its hard to find rebuildable parts which is my problem. I see no rebuild kits (yes I go easy route as I like being a jack of all trades but master of nothing). These engines look like a beast in the sense of hp of its day but also a monster to rebuild. So my main question ism is a whole bike worth the price of a parts bike if it doesn't even run and needs possible rebuild? Or you guys think I should just pass this one up and look for other prospects? appreciate the help and comments good or bad thanks, btw $250

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
That's a nice looking custom Wing in the video.
I've seen older Goldwings as choppers, disguised as Harley Baggers, custom cruisers and whatever the designer can imagine.
There are kits for carb rebuilding from www.randakks.com
Parts might be hard to find for the engine internally if any are bad from water intrusion.
Try www.hondapartsnation.com for what they may have.
If the engine turns over freely and isn't bound up with rust, you may be lucky. You may want to put some MMO in the spark plug holes if the pistons are stuck, it sometimes frees them up.

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF!

It will be interesting to hear how this goes. Hopefully you get lucky, the engine turns but with compression, and you'll score a good, cheap bike to work into your own thing.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Welcome along Merc. That's a grand hobby you have...good luck in your adventure with the bike if you grab it. Keep us posted on the progress if you do.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Welcome along Merc. That's a grand hobby you have...good luck in your adventure with the bike if you grab it. Keep us posted on the progress if you do.
I go with budoka have a great time and WELCOME from Pa.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.