Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so new at this, if you answer I probably won't know how to respond. I purchased an 89 goldwing GL 1500 with 43,00 miles. The bike has been cared for. I went through the process to start it this morning and it tried but died. When I tried again all it did was spin over. The master switch on the right bar was on run, all the lights work, it is full of gas and the battery is new, and I had it in neutral. I know I will have to take it to a shop, I was just hoping for some ideas what it could possibly be.. Thanks <><

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Did you use the 'Choke' when trying to start the bike?
Push the choke lever down and then push the start button, let the bike warm up at 1500 rpms and then turn the choke off after about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did, thanks for your reply... I've owned the bike for about a week and have read the owners manual front to back.. I'm not mechanical, just curious...<><

·
Super Moderator
11,803 Posts
Make sure the choke is pushed all the way down. Try moving the kill switch to run and stop a few times, the contacts can get dirty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1500 wont start

1996 1500 SE, I have the same problem...

mine did start the first time and ran for about 10 seconds.

NOW, nothing, no fire to the plugs. ??? headlight is on, neutral light on, radio on, running lights on, even reverse works...

ALL fuses good. BAS (bank angle sensor) is good. What could it be???

YES, the choke is all the way off... <*((><

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the same problem. the bike has been sitting in my garage and started every so often. at christmas it didnt start, so i took it apart and shot carb cleaner in the carbs and it fired right up. i burned a tank of gas (with fuel injecter cleaner in the gas) out of it and it ran fine up untill two weeks ago. now it will not start and i did the same thing with the cleaner but this time nothing. it turns over but will not start. before i get a headace, is there anything i should do or look for that will make it easier for me to get the bike started. any help will help. thank you.
glenn

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I just had a similar problem, seemed to be running fine when I parked it last November/December ( with fuel stabilizer in it) went to start it this spring would turn over fine but wouldn't start. Checked the spark plugs and they were fouled. New plug and it's running fine.
THey can be very fussy about not starting if the battery is a little low. Will seem to turn over fine but not start. Besure the battery is fully charged. And the kill switch is in the run position.

·
Registered
34 Posts
thank you very much for the reply. that was going to be my next project to look for. the battery has been pluged up to a battery tender and i have turned the cut off switch on and off severial time to make sure it wasnt that. Which one did you use. I know there are severial types out there but i dont know which one people prefer
glenn

·
Registered
161 Posts
Battery Tender Jr. seems to be the current favorite. There are lots out there, but some are far better than others.

One sign of a weak battery on a GL1500 is it will spin over without starting, but sometimes it will catch & run at the instant you release the start button. The reason for this is that a battery that's even a tiny bit weak will have enough juice to either spin the engine, or provide spark...but not both. GL1500's seem to be particularly susceptible to this. As you release the start button, and the engine is still turning for a moment, there's enough juice for the ignition, and she'll start.

When trying this (from cold), give the throttle one crank (so the accelerator pumps give a shot of gas into the carbs) & release, then full choke, and give it a crank.

Alternatively, use jumper cables to connect to another battery (NOT on a running car!). Chances are, it will fire right up. If so, a new battery is in your future...

·
Registered
34 Posts
bike starts now

thank you for your help.
Here's what i did, I took the side panels off, the radio off and anything else i needed to take off. It isn't hard, just time consumming. I replaced the plugs, they didn't look to bad but did it anyway. It still didn't start for some reason, just turned over. i poured a little gas in each carb and bam, it turned over an ran right away. It is a lot easyer to start now. just one quick push of the start button. It still has a little knock in her. it sounds like it is comming from the left side of the engine. I am going to look and see where it is comming from. I love both bikes very much but i like the 89 GW trike i got back from my ex-gf better.
Again thank you all very much for your help.:)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Engine knock is a bit worrisome. Was the engine up to operating temp and still making noise?

·
Super Moderator
11,803 Posts
Does the knock go away when you pull in the clutch?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts