Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I bought a 1994 GL1500 Aspencade a couple of months ago. Runs great (or it did).

The LCD display had a black half moon coming in on each side, covering about 40% of the screen.

I bought this one on ebay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150884395189?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I tried installing it today. I have the factory repair manual, so did remove and reinstall all the parts correctly.

I pulled the plugs apart on back of the instrument panel, did not pull on the wires.

I used the 'new' instrument panel, and just swapped out the speedometer (wanted it to reflect the actual miles on the bike). The new instrument group housing is in better condition too.

I saw no other electrical compnents that could have been damanged for this repair.

Put it all back together, and the bike is DEAD. When I turn on the key, NO lights come on, the radio does not come on, the starter does not work.

Should this 'new' instrument panel work in my 1994 Aspencade?

If not, would you speculate that if I reinstalled the old instrument panel that I would get my bike back running?

I was too freegin' hot (live in Houston, TX) to mess with it any more today.

Feedback and thoughs appreciated.

TIA
TXBob

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery before doing the swap? If so, did you reconnect it? If not, you might have blown a main fuse.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I did not disconnect battery. Did not think of it (stupid me).

I'll have to check the main fuse (probably tomorrow). I'll check all the fuses while I am in there.

Any other thoughts from anyone on anything else to check?

Thanks! TXBob

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
I reckon that's a joke, Larry? I mean, since there is no "O" in "Buckfarrack." If so, it's funny!:D

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Other things came up last night, was not able to tinker with it. Hopefully tonight.

I did get by local Honda shop. They confirmed new/used LCD screen same in 1994 & 1997, so it should be fine. Wanted to buy extra 55amp fuse. They are out of stock. Ordered 2. Won't be here till next week. If it is the 55amp fuse, looks like I am grounded for a while. Got 2 spare 30 amp ones also. If 30 amp blown, I will be good to go.

Will report back when running.

Thx!

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Just for giggles, give Sierra Electronics a look and see if they stock the fuses.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update 9-5-12

Got to tinker with it today.

I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery before I did anything.

55 and 30 AMP fuses by the battery box were intact. There was a spare 55 amp fuse, and I cleaned it up with a brass brush and swapped it out for the one that was in circut. I also swapped out the 30 amp, just in case.

I also checked the 'easy' to get at fuses in the fuse box, the long skinnier box on the left. All were intact. I did NOT check inside the larger box on the right. Was getting hot and sweaty. Heat index today near 105 to 110 degrees.

Any other fuses I should check?

I cleaned all the battery terminals.

I reinstalled everything.

All is still DEAD. No radio, no lights, no horn, no starter, NOTHING.

I was riding the bike last Friday (8-31-12) with zero issues.

I did this work last Monday (9-3-12)

I hate the thought of tearing off the dash again, but think that is where I am at.

It looks like I need to try re-installing all the old components to see if it comes back to life.

Any other suggestions???

If I can't get her running, look$ like I may have to get it towed to the dealer$hip for repair$. Would likely be co$tly. Hate the thought... Wife i$ out of work at the moment, budget i$ tight.

Other suggestions PLEASE!!!

TIA
TXBob

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Test the ignition switch.
You remove the 'Tupperware' on the left side and you'll see a series of connectors on the holder of the fan, you want the 8 place black connector. Test for continuity as the switch is turned and test at the appropriate wire colors.
Run an Ohms (resistance) from the red connection (bike side) to the red wire at the starter relay. From the positive of the battery terminal to the red terminal on the 'A' relay for resistance.

Also check relay 3 and fuse 8

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Fuse 11= 15 amp. ign.cruise,start
fuse 12=5 amp
can you hear relay 6 click when you turn the key.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Nice, Val & Ron; just wish you'd be more specific!:D

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Nice, Val & Ron; just wish you'd be more specific!:D
Sorry :eek:
All this stuff is in the fuse relay box on the left side behind the left side panel
Fuse#11 is at the very bottom of the fuse box
Relay #6 is the bottom one on the left in the relay box
Fuse # 12 is just to the right of relay #6
That relay box cover can be Bugger to get off. On my 93 I have loosen all the left saddle bag bolts to get enough room to get it off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Got to tinker with it today.

I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery before I did anything.

55 and 30 AMP fuses by the battery box were intact. There was a spare 55 amp fuse, and I cleaned it up with a brass brush and swapped it out for the one that was in circut. I also swapped out the 30 amp, just in case.

I also checked the 'easy' to get at fuses in the fuse box, the long skinnier box on the left. All were intact. I did NOT check inside the larger box on the right. Was getting hot and sweaty. Heat index today near 105 to 110 degrees.

Any other fuses I should check?

I cleaned all the battery terminals.

I reinstalled everything.

All is still DEAD. No radio, no lights, no horn, no starter, NOTHING.

I was riding the bike last Friday (8-31-12) with zero issues.

I did this work last Monday (9-3-12)

I hate the thought of tearing off the dash again, but think that is where I am at.

It looks like I need to try re-installing all the old components to see if it comes back to life.

Any other suggestions???

If I can't get her running, look$ like I may have to get it towed to the dealer$hip for repair$. Would likely be co$tly. Hate the thought... Wife i$ out of work at the moment, budget i$ tight.

Other suggestions PLEASE!!!

TIA
TXBob
Just for the heck of it,try this.Hold the "start" button in and turn the key switch to the "on" postition.While holding the button,wiggle the key slightly to the left and right some.The contacts in these older key switches become gunked-up and SOMETIMES i have to wiggle mine for it to make contact.If it doesn't,you wont have power to ANYTHING.

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
This may seem out of line, but have you checked the battery to make sure it isn't dead?

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Are you 100 % sure it's not in gear.
I hate asking these obvious question, but some times they got to be ask.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Ron,

I was being sarcastic. I meant it as a compliment to you and Val for the quality of your advice! Guess I should have used the "tongue sticking out" face!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Ron,

I was being sarcastic. I meant it as a compliment to you and Val for the quality of your advice! Guess I should have used the "tongue sticking out" face!

Kevin
No problem either way, sometime I can assume to much other times I can ask questions what might seem obvious. I've bitten by not asking the obvious a time or two.:eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you 100 % sure it's not in gear.
I hate asking these obvious question, but some times they got to be ask.
I was just thinking the same, they do have a tendency to just die on Goldwing's. Last year my dad stopped for a bite during a trip for wing ding. After he was done he got on his bike turned the key and nothing. Battery was totally dead. Lucky for him other wingers were there to give him a lift to the auto parts store and provide light via their headlights. It was in the evening and not enough light from the street lamps. After battery change was complete he was back on the road. That was 3 years ago and no problems since.

Sent from my iPod touch using MO Free

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SUCCESS!!!

Decided not to mess with trying to charge battery of unknown age.

Bought the Wing about 10 weeks ago. Went to Wally World & got a new one for about $60 out the door.

Added acid & charged per instuuctions.

Just installed it & all looks like it is working just fine.

Will reinstall farings tomorrow.

Thank you to all who gave input! I truly appreciate it :)

Only 72 hours after a successful ride, the battery was DEAD. No indication that there was a problem when I last rode it. Wow...

Anyhow, looks like I am back to a Wingin' it!!!

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Congratulations! Cantankerous nailed it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.