Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why won't my gl1500 start until i let the starter button release. It seems that it has always done that. Is there a problem with my bike? or is it the nature of my beast? Has a compufire alt and a good interstate battery. Thanks, Jim
1994 GL1500

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Mine does similar; push start button and headlight goes off, starter turns over, release button bike starts and headlight comes back on. It's done that since the day I bought it.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
You might not think so but your battery maybe low on voltage, when you let off of the start button it gives you the extra volts to start. There was a post sometime back about this and Joe from Calif. had the answer.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
If you are absolutely positive the battery is 100% good. Then I'd suspected either solenoid A or B.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I have a brand new gel cell battery that came with my new Compu-Fire alternator. It is fully charged and still it starts the same way. It does not fire until I release the start button. It did it from day one that I got the bike so I just figured it was the nature of the beast. I really didn't think anything was wrong with it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
GoldDigger,does it do this ALL the time? Mine only does it when i let the battery get even a little low,or come to think of it,when cold,and i don't have the choke just right.But when mine is warmed up,does not do it,ever. If it does it all the time,then might be worth looking up the other post that Matt mentioned. Let us know what's up with it.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I have had a couple times this summer my bike would not start. This was due to me being silly and leaving something on by accident, even for a short bit. The bike would turn over pretty fast but just wouldn't catch. I believe all the power was going to the starter and not enough to the plugs to start her. After a quick boast or bump start it's good again.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Mine does it all the time. Reason I haven't thought anything about it is that it has started that way since I got it in Sept. Had a new battery in it then and I put it on charge to make sure it was up then changed to a Compu-Fire alternator and got the gel cell and charged it also. There has been no difference in cranking through any of this. As long as I hold the start button it just spins it over. Doesn't fire up til I let go. Of course I don't hold the button long. It fires up immediately. I may have to hold it for a full second.
Since this is my first wing, I have no history to fall back on so I have to depend upon you guys to help me if there is something that I need to know.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Mine does it all the time. Reason I haven't thought anything about it is that it has started that way since I got it in Sept. Had a new battery in it then and I put it on charge to make sure it was up then changed to a Compu-Fire alternator and got the gel cell and charged it also. There has been no difference in cranking through any of this. As long as I hold the start button it just spins it over. Doesn't fire up til I let go. Of course I don't hold the button long. It fires up immediately. I may have to hold it for a full second.
Since this is my first wing, I have no history to fall back on so I have to depend upon you guys to help me if there is something that I need to know.
Mine does similar; push start button and headlight goes off, starter turns over, release button bike starts and headlight comes back on. It's done that since the day I bought it.
As soon as you take your thumb off the start button the bike starts and the headlight comes back on. The only time it doesn't do it is when the battery is getting ready to go south on mine.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Why won't my gl1500 start until i let the starter button release. It seems that it has always done that. Is there a problem with my bike? or is it the nature of my beast? Has a compufire alt and a good interstate battery. Thanks, Jim
1994 GL1500
my 1500 does this too and so do you friends with 1500's

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
My 93 Aspencade Cranks till it starts, as well as two of my ridding buddies 1500's. So I contacted a friend in B.C. who until he sold his wing was one of the leading go to guys in Western B.C. and on the GWRRA web site about the 1500's, about this. His reply is that the Battery is going bad. And that the 1500 is difficult to start if all the power/ voltage is not available.
Having said that; there have been a number of people posting that they are having this situation and that their batteries are good. This is starting to remind me of the situation a few people were having a little while ago where their bikes would not start in gear and thought it was normal.
What I would suggest is making sure all the connections on the battery are clean and tight ( wrench tight ). If possible check the voltage across the battery when it is cranking.
I just checked mine; setting with the key off the battery read 12.6 volts measured across the terminals. With the key on and cranking the voltage dropped to 10.8 volts while cranking. The engine fired up while still cranking and the voltage across the battery jumped up to right at 14 volts.
If your battery drops below 10.8 volts while trying to start there may not be enough power to start the engine.
Just some things to check. I'm not convinced that having to release the starter switch for it to start is normal.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
In the vintage car world they have a circuit that puts more power to the points until it fires up. I don't know if there is a circuit on the wing that does a similiar thing. Eric

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was thinking I had seen this problem on another forum. But I can't remember if it was a dirty switch or something else. I have posted there to see if I can get an answer. That would be <woti.org> (wings on the internet).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well its an early snowy Saturday morning and I got two responses. A dirty switch, meaning you have to take it apart and clean it. And a low battery. So maybe make absolutely sure that the battery is all charged up and then go from there eh? I know a good dousing of contact cleaner did wonders for the switches on my '01. :)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
This question has been around since the 1500 came out in 1988. It's the battery, when it cranks it is using power when you release it all the power goes to start it, the headlights are suppose to go off when you hit the starter button. Put your battery on a charger and then get it fully charged and try it. Even a new battery isn't fully charged when you buy it. They tell you to put them on a trickle charger for a couple hours before you install it in the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
98SE Does the same

I have a 98 SE that has always done this. It does it when the batter is charged, and mostly when I first start it with the choke. When I start it with the choke, I have to be sure not to turn it over too long, or it will flood and then it will be hard to start. Generally, letting it stand for a while fixes the problem. I asked my Honda dealer about this and he acted like it was the first time he had heard of the issue. However, will all of you having the same problem, someone must have a fix. I have the stock charging system on my bike. The comments re a drop in battery voltage when the starter is running makes a lot of sense. If this is true, it should not happen when the bike is jumped off of a car battery. I have never tried this, but I will. Good luck and I hope we find an answer.

Regards,
Ben
1998 SE

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
It would be interesting if some one with this issue would try what I suggested 7 or 8 posts earlier.
Put a voltmeter across the battery messure the voltage, turn the key on and try to start it, and see what the voltage across the battery is while it's cranking.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

1 - 20 of 22 Posts