Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cranks at around 290-300rpm every once in awhile it kick over at around 900 and can get it to start but runs like crap and ideas i changed the fuel filter thought maybe it was restricting flow but now am thinking it might not be a fuel problem and more of a spark problem but figured i would check with you guys first before i dug to far into it its a 84 1200

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have no experience with the 1200's, but I would start with the basics. Clean your battery cable connections. Make sure you do both ends of all cables so that you have both a good ground as well as good power to the starter.

Have the battery load tested, replace if necessary.

Assuming that everything else checks out, I would look next at the starter solenoid itself. It is possible that the internal contacts may be dirty or damaged, causing slow cranking issues.

If the poor spark issues continue, check the power connections to the ignition system and make sure that all of the grounds are good there also.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Cranks at around 290-300rpm every once in awhile it kick over at around 900 and can get it to start but runs like crap and ideas i changed the fuel filter thought maybe it was restricting flow but now am thinking it might not be a fuel problem and more of a spark problem but figured i would check with you guys first before i dug to far into it its a 94 1200
First of all you say it is a 94, 1200. The 94 was a 1500. Definitley get the battery load tested. A weak battery can cause all sorts of problems.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Check all the grounding points around the bike. The 1200s were notorious for having ground issues.

·
Premium Member
11,071 Posts
Get some Start U Bastard and spray straight into the air filter. If it runs on that, it is a fuel problem. I would then start on rebuilding the carbs. Also I would run an extra ground from the negative battery terminal to the closest bolt near the starter motor.
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts