Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had new dunlops put on my 08 wing by the dealer.
Between 40 and 50 km/hr I am getting a front end wobble.
At higher speeds it goes away. I am taking it in to the dealer next week but is there anything I should be aware of so the dealer does not try to blow me off?

·
Registered
489 Posts
... HOWDY ... DID I MENTION THAT I SWITCHED FROM DUNLOP E-3's TO METZLER 880's AND AM REALLY ENJOYING THEM ... VERY QUITE AND EXCELLENT HANDLING ... BOUGHT THEM ONLINE FROM MOTORCYCLE SUPER STORE GREAT PRICES AND "FREE" SHIPPING ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
'08 here with 12,000 + miles on original tires. At or around 40 mph, take both hands off the bar and wobble,wobble, wobble. I assume it is still there with both hands on the bar, just not overtly noticeable. 50 mph +, set cruise control, take both hands off the bar, very smooth. What the heck is this 40 mph sore spot all about ? It seems it's just a " rhetorical " question so far since it is not being answered.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
When Honda came out with the 1800 they put roller bearings in the neck, the 1500 had tapered bearing and had no wobble. You can buy tapered bearings for the 1800 and that will take care of the wobble. New tires will usually cure it for a short time. But putting tapered head bearings will cure it for good.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Had a new tire put on the rear yesterday ( screw imbeded in it ). I brought up the topic of the infamous wobble. The mech said that the torque specs on the steering column were set low by Honda Factory . He said if he tightened the steering column the wobble would go away. I'll live with it for the rest of this year as it is really now just a psychological issue with me because it hasn't caused any adverse control problems. Next year when I replace the front tire I will probably have the All Balls installed as I was looking to put a shim kit in to get the handlebars up 1 in. I would imagine the All Balls and " their " torque specs on it will give me the same results as " motorgreg ", I hope. And that's all I know.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Our only hope here is to see our membership dwindle one rider at a time. When we were kids we always rode hands free, why do we get scolded for it now ?

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Seems like most of the complaints I hear about the "Wing wobble" come from riders that have the E3s on their bikes. I haven't heard about the Metzlers, Bridgestone, Avon riders with wobble complaints. I'm happy with the OEM D250 tires (happy enough that I'm doing the whole wheel replacement and a D250 rear) my '09 came with, but I'm putting a 'stone on the front this time. Don't know if my bike has the wobble since I ride with my hands on the bars. I've let go at 70 mph in cruise, but more to see how the bike tracked than seeing if it wobbled (it didn't, but I was over 40mph). I did talk with one of the techs at Honda Canada and he did say that there was some (his words were 'very minor') inherant wobble due to the size, weight and steering geometry of the Wing. That may sound a bit trite, but I've heard riders of other full dress tourers say that they had a front ned/head shake with hands off at low speeds too. If the wobble can be felt through the bars at significant levels at any speed I'd have to say there was a balance, bearing or tire issue of some description.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When Honda came out with the 1800 they put roller bearings in the neck, the 1500 had tapered bearing and had no wobble. You can buy tapered bearings for the 1800 and that will take care of the wobble. New tires will usually cure it for a short time. But putting tapered head bearings will cure it for good.

I HAVE A 94 GL1500 AND IT WOBBLES AROUND 30-40 IF I LET GO OF THE BARS,TO WHERE IT WOULD WRECK IF I DONT GRAB IT BACK. I RUN THE DUNLOP E 3s ON THE FRONT,I HEAR LOTS OF REMEDIES BUT MOST ARE SHORT LIVED. I WILL ADD A FORK BRACE AND REMOUNT THE TIRE {BEFORE CHANGING IT). AND REPORT BACK, -Gary English-

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I'd check hte adjustments on your sidecar mounts. Sounds like something isn't quite right if there's a wobble there. Tire wear with a s/c will definitely have an adverse affect due to the side loading forces imposed by the hack.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Scooter. There is no comfort in numbers in this wobble club. Our only hope here is to see our membership dwindle one rider at a time. When we were kids we always rode hands free, why do we get scolded for it now ?

How is the wobble now that you put the Darkside Kuhmo 195/55/R16 Run Flat on your bike?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well looks like I have join the wobble club as I have a 95 GL1500 with 238000+ kms on it and it has now developed this bad wobble around the 40 to 50 kmh. I have just spent $600.00Au in getting new streering head bearings replaced as well as have two new front brake disc replaced as well as they had well an truely past there used by date.. I run Metzlers ME880's front and rear but have had the rear tyre replaced a month or so ago as I had a blow out coming home from a bike rally back in May 2011 which caused me to crash the bike.. Now I am wondering if it is the front tyre being half stuffed that is causing the problem as I normally replace both tyres at the same time and not when one tyre is stuffed like this time around???? Also I have replaced the rear shocks with Proven Products twin air shocks and I am wondering if they might need to be retightened to the torque setting or maybe I need the rear wheel bearings replaced as I changed the front ones about 4 years ago and have been told they were still good by the mechanic who did the steering head bearings... Also I was wondering maybe I need to have the swingarm bushes/bearings replaced as well as I said the bike is now over 16 years old with 238,000 plus kilometres on it.... Or maybe I should just get the front tyre replaced with a new Metzeler ME880 to fix this problem????

Any help in this matter would be greatfully appreciated....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well after doing a quick ring around the local Honda Goldwing dealers here in Sydney Australia as there is only two stores here one in Lane Cove & the other in Campbelltown they both told me the same thing, yes they all do have a wobble in the front end area even on the lastest 09-10 model 1800 Goldwings. They said I should change the front tyre as this can be part of the problem and if I am using aftermarket steering head bearings which is what they sold me they can be tightern a bit more than the stock steering head bearings. They also told me I should check & tightern or even replace the swingarm bearings as they may be getting past there used by date seeing how old my GL1500 is now as they will sell me a set for $110.00Au plus fitting. They also said that I should also check the tyre pressure on the front and rear tyres as this maybe causing the front end to wobble as well...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wobble 2012 Level 3 forks rebuild

HI all, bought my first Goldwing 2012 level 3 and traded in CVO Roadking. I am retired and live in So CA near San Diego and always wanted a coastal road trip, Big Sur, Napa valley, Monterey, Solvang , Santa Barbra, Santa Yanez you get the picture, finally found my way back home after 3000 miles and many smiles. I started to notice a slight low speed wobble on decel, so took it back to dealer. Was told nothing they could do? So on my dime had front forks rebuilt with Raceteck 1.1kg springs, the whole gold valve kit, all balls bearings; Dyna beads both tires, Kerkayan Gen II fork brace and K&N air filter. The results are a sharper smother ride, tighter stearing, but still have a hint of the wobble. Now with all this done I strongly suspect it’s in the way I wore the Bridgestone tires. I pushed it pretty hard fully loaded in the curves with heavy braking and with the stock light spring set up on the front suspension it slightly cupped the tires both front and rear. I am sure that it won't happen again because of the changes made but I think I will just ride it and wear out the tires that I abused. (HA HA) If these are the only kind of problems that The Wing has I can live with it. Great Touring Bike, SC-Wing

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
My talks with Honda has resulted in the same thing, it's there. Doesn't explain why some are more noticeable (some badly) than others, my '09 doesn't feel like it's there, but I admittedly haven't gone looking for it. Many other bikes have a head shake too (mostly large touring bikes or large displacement cruisers), but others don't appear to have much if any at all. None of my sport bikes ever have/had it, nor did my ST1300. Vulcan Classic was very prone with throttle released, but not with the t/lock on, and worse with the w/s attached.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have to ask again because my Wing has the wobble and I don't think of it as a problem more than a design trade off to achieve light steering response and good feel, much like a sportbike, the majority of which come with hydraulic steering dampners. The wobble will never get out of control unless you let go of the bars at a fairly slow speed when decelerating. As mentioned by several previous threads, owners are spending up to thousands of dollars to chase this issue. The only real way to address this issue is not tires, bearings, etc. It would entail a changing the suspension/frame relationship of fork rake and possibly lead (the offset distance of the front axle line to the centerline of the fork). The trade off will be slightly more sluggish steering response. There are plenty out there who would help you lighten your wallet but they aren't really fixing the core of the issue.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am new to wings, but noticed the GW has no steering damper . Would this help this problem ?
As of this date, I saw two company's which offer steering dampners for the Wing. I recall they were expensive and a Google search should get you the company names. I'm positive a dampner would help but if you are into quick steering, such as u-turns and figure 8's, dampners could make things a chore unless they have built in bypass valves like the Scotts dampners I use on my off road bikes.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.