Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My '10 Wing with just 600 miles on it is feeling a bit under the weather. Last Thursday, I started feeling a wobble/vibration that felt like my front tire was out-of-balance - wasn't there in the morning, but was there for the ride home - I can feel it at all times regardless of speed. When I got home, I check both tires and their pressures - everything was fine. I rode to work Friday - vibration was still there. Called my local Honda dealer - explained what it was doing - told me to swing by on my way home. They took it for a test ride - confirmed the issue - told me to bring it back Saturday. Saturday, they swapped out and balanced both tires and re-torqued the steering head bearings - vibration still there - ended up leaving the bike with them and walking home. On Monday they called Honda - tech line said they did everything to help diagnose it and the bike would need to be seen by the District Service Manager. I picked it up 2 nights ago and given the warning before I left 'do not let go of the handlebars - the vibration may cause you to lose control'. The DSM is supposed to see it this week.

I rode it today to my GWRRA chapter meeting and had several people, including one who took it out for a test ride, tell me it was the stock Dunlop tires and that I should pay to put Bridgestones on it. The one who took it out on the test ride said it was the worst he's ever felt and was a safety hazard. After the meeting, I went back to the Honda dealer, and the service manager said it couldn't be the tires, as they put a new set of Dunlops on it. I think maybe it might be the steering head bearings, but everyone I talk to said yes, it could be, if I had 18-20k miles on the bike, not 600.

Any idea what might be going on?

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from Pa. There are a lot of opinions on "the wobble" and proper diagnosis is best left to the professionals. So I think you are taking the correct approach to getting it resolved.

That said JMHO, it could be a bent rim, front fork or a tire balancing problem. It could also be coming from the back tire and not the front. One thing you could do to rule out balancing is to have the dealer install "dyna beads" which should smooth out the ride. If it does not then you could have rim or fork or drive train issues.

Good luck and keep us informed of the solution for future reference..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Going through the exact same thing. Mine has wobbled since brand new with 1.2 miles on it. Now have 15K after one year. I have had mine back to the Dealer twice already. Front end wobble is bad. They put on new tires, rebalanced them, new steering head bearing. I had new tires put on because the old ones were cupped really bad, front and back tire both. Put on E3's and the Centramatic Balancers. Still wobbling. Dealer put on new stock tires, balanced them, new steering head bearing and tested it. Still wobbled.
Went to Wing Ding last month with the new E3's and Centramatic Balancers. The front end is still wobbling. Waiting to see how/when the tires start to cup again. I will be taking it back to the dealer at that point and insist that Honda get involved to fix the problem. After that, Maryland has the Lemon Law and I will probably envoke that. I should not have to pay $25K for a bike that chews up the tires and wobbles. Not all 2010 Gold Wings do this, so there has to be a problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just replaced my front E3 tire on an '06 with 33k. Bought it with 28k in May so I don't know how many miles were on the E3. Anyway, the bike had no wobble with the old cupped E3, but now has it with the brand new E3 that the tech said he balanced dead on. He said something about the old tire was letting me ride on a bigger contact patch then the new?? I'm letting it go for a while. It's not a dangerous wobble and I've got the extended warranty. Sorry for droning on...

·
Registered
53 Posts
sounds to me to be a fork problem, the forks are not holding the tire on the ground and this would cause a minor bounce,this would cause a vibration

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Seattle. I own a 94 1500 so I am not familiar nor do I have an opinion on your particular problem. I know I would be pissed off and anxious to find a solution.

Going to the GWRRA meeting was an excellent move. When you attend chapter meetings you will find friendly folks that ride the same motorcycle you do, and like the members of this forum, they know their motorcycle.

Sounds like the dealer is working with you. I would keep all of my receipts and take notes in between. Get a copy of the state's lemon law and write a dated letter or two and send them certified mail. Nothing wrong with starting over with another brand new motorcycle that doesn't have this problem.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I guess I must be a lucky one, never experience the "wobble" others refer to. At least one that could not be explained by either road or tire condition or tire pressures since
'08 riding a 2000SE or the new 2012.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too have a 2010 GW and I want to remove the 40mile an hour wobble..WELL folks I did !! I have a Kuryakan fork brace installed along with the "All Ball steering bearings.. What a difference !! SMOOOOOTH !!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Go to Kuryakyn's web site and search part # 7339 for the fork brace
Fits: All ’01-’10 & 2012 GL1800 (except Airbag Models)

Go to wingstuff and search Item #: TR416233 All Balls Steering Bearings

You will be happy with the outcome

Bingo

·
Registered
168 Posts
My 2010 has no wobble but I only have 2,800 miles on it. My 03 wing had the wobble under 40 mph and only if you took both hands off the bar.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks, Looked at it. Seems a shame that I have to spend toins of money to make the bike ride correctly. This all tells me that Honda has a design problem on the Gold Wing

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've spoken with a tech rep at Honda about the wobble and he told me that there is a certain amount of head shake inherant with the design of the Goldwing thanks to mass and steering head angle and a couple of other factors. Most riders notice it under decelleration with hands off the bars as a mild oscillation, so the solution is to not let go of the bars. Rex, your problem seems somewhat different than that, and I'd try the new bearing set first, preferably tapered ones. I'm also inclined to agree with the Bridgestone alternative as well, but Mother Honda should be willing to spring for the rubber if you press them enough. It's possible that the forks could have a problem too, but not sure what kind of warranty claim could be managed there. My '09 has no wobble with the stock D250s in over 10k miles and it still handles and corners like the first day I rode it. I'd try and speak directly with the district service rep if you can and see if there is anything he will do for you, but try and be as polite as you possibly can, he'll turn tail and leave if you get antagonistic with him; you need him in your camp to get satisfaction.

·
Registered
155 Posts
To all: Thanks for the input from everyone. I will see what happens with Honda. Just seems a shame that I pay $25K for a bike and have to fight to get it to ride correctly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It hard for ME to believe that with all the technology that went in the design of the GW, the residual effect was steering wobble. IMHO it shouldn't if you remove your hands from the bars under ideal conditions.. What I hearing from the Honda even thou they're not saying it is "live with it".. So I set out to make the bike ride as smooth as possible and in MY case the fork brace and steering bearings help alot ! I'm also having no problems with my stock tires "6022 miles.. That said, I will change to Bridgestone once it's time...

Bingo

·
Registered
155 Posts
In my case, the front and rear tires cupped so bad at 10K miles, I had to replace them. It is not a matter of taking my hans off and seeing and feeling thje wobble. I can feel it and the bike does not handle, what I would call, ideally.

·
Registered
741 Posts
IMHO the 'wobble' is a minor issue and many of us spend much too much time, money, and effort chasing it. The Wing is a great piece of machinery, wobble or not. Case in point, on vacation, I rode the entire 30 minutes from Jacob Lake, AZ to Grand Canyon north rim without ever putting my hands on the bars (occasionaly using my right hand to adjust the speed on the cruise control). Speeds were from 40-65 mph and the Wing drove beautifully. The road was a mixture of curves, uphill/downhill, and some beautiful straights through the meadows. The big Wing handles so brilliantly that all I needed to do was lean in the appropriate direction to turn the bike the entire ride. My 11 year old son just did his usual thing in the back and closed his eyes and used his arms/hands like wings in the air. This Labor Day weekend I will be taking my Wing to the track (Buttonwillow Raceway) instead of my track bike. Back to the topic, I can pretty much get any bike I have to 'wobble' the front end. Its like the caster wheels on a shopping cart. I just take hold of the bars and the wobble dissappears.

Now back to the originator of this post: PSCAN1800, how are things going with your issues?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts