Votes: 3 100.0%
  • trade value

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently purchased 1986 interstate bike has 11000 actuall miles had new tires put on it as bike had set for almost 20years. rode 145 miles yesterday bike runs and drives perfect . but if you let go of handle bars front end goes into a massive vibrating shake that is almost uncontrollable, shake goes immediately away if you put just one hand back on handle bars.bike doesnt pull either direction and does fine down the highway but just cant let go of handle bars. Is this normall or where do I look for a fix. new speed rated dunlop 404,s installed on bike, bike is gl1200 interstate 1986. thanaks dave

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
if the tire was balanced when mounted then i would look at head bearings or wheel bearings

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
Buzzard is righ on with diagnosis. I don't know of the 86 had air suspension or shock/springs up front, but I would have them checked as well. I guess you need to keep your hands on the bars when you ride..... Good luck and ride safe..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Did you have the shake with the old tires? I would suspect the bearings with only 11,000 miles but anything is possible, I would say your tires are to blame, either one isn't balanced right or you have a tire that is out of round.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I don't understand you poll question,

·
Registered
201 Posts
Does this happen at any speed or just at slow speed below 20 MPH. The reason I ask is at slow speeds there is'nt enough centrifical force to create the gyroscopic effect
on the front wheel which keeps it tracking straight. The dynamics of gravity,centrifical force,and gyroscopic effect has been discussed here before a few months ago and one
of the fellas gave us a very good explanation of the forces which occur when riding a Motorcycle. My 85 LTD shakes its head quite badly below 15 MPH but there is nothing wrong with it, Just keep a firm grip at low speeds with both hands,even a one hand grip may not be enough at very slow parking lot speeds.

-Robert-

·
Registered
27 Posts
my 1983 honda magna V45 did this, I fixed it when I balanced the air pressure between the left and right shocks, and filled them to the correct amount, and when I regreased the steering head bearings.

your head bearings might be indexed and it oscillates between two positions when you let go.

in a nutshell, your whole front ends a mess. get it righted :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wobble

thanks to all that responded.bike is going to shop to check it out wed... thanks dacjmc

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Had the same thing a few years ago on my 82 1100 wing and a new set of tapered head bearings made it all go away.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
wobble

Many wings do this, a lot of 1800s do this. 1. Keep hands on bars.
2. Changing tires doesnt help. 3. I don't know why Honda doesnt fix this. Same reason they had 3 episodes of cracked frames and a DOT sponsored recall before they fixed the frame issue I guess. The wobble is irritating, won't go away but doesn't occur if you keep hands on bars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts