Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a new Elite II put on by the dealer, no questions asked (think they have had a few issues?) Drive off and at the first chance get to 62km/hr, put on the cruise and guess what ....... still has the wobble!!!!!
Now they are going to put on a Metzler front tire.
Question: is there a problem with running mixed brands front and rear?
I do not think they will replace the rear with a Metzler free.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
As long as they are both radials there is no problem, sometimes the wobble comes from the rear tire, put in tapered head bearings and the wobble will be gone.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Tapered steering bearings seem to be the agreed solution here, but I will add a twist on it. My resident mechanic attributes it to the torque specs from Honda Factory. It's too low in his opinion, which he attributes to Honda wanting to make the steering as easy as possible, while sacrificing stability. If you don't want to spring for the All-Balls yet, have them increase the torque on the steering head when they replace the front tire. I'll be doing the front tire next year along with the torque change. But it would be helpful to ME if you YOU did it first and I could profit from YOUR experience.

·
Registered
740 Posts
To much torque on head bearings causes even more problems! Talk to your Honda dealer and you will find the only right way to fix the wobble is replace bearings. This is a common problem and the only way to solve it without taking the risk of screwing up the handling of your motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
To much torque on head bearings causes even more problems! Talk to your Honda dealer and you will find the only right way to fix the wobble is replace bearings. This is a common problem and the only way to solve it without taking the risk of screwing up the handling of your motorcycle.
The " resident mechanic " I referred to works at a Honda Dealer! Is it the advise of the shop he works at at ? I don't know. Arrrrrg......!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Find another shop NOW! This was explained to me by 2 different Honda shops in my area. They both know I take care of a number of Goldwings and have a very good working relashionship with both. also if your bike is under warrenty he probly does not want to fix it as this takes a lot of time to do.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Find another shop NOW! This was explained to me by 2 different Honda shops in my area. They both know I take care of a number of Goldwings and have a very good working relashionship with both. also if your bike is under warrenty he probly does not want to fix it as this takes a lot of time to do.
The bike is under warranty until Feb.2012. I'm not the original owner of the bike. The '08 was purchased in Feb.09 and sold to me in Nov.09. It was purchased at Shenandoah Honda in Winchester VA. I live in Centreville, about 50 miles away, and have been using Honda of Manassas for a few years now. I have had no contact with Shenandoah Honda , which raises this question about the warranty: Do I need to have warranty work done by the dealer who originally sold the bike ?

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
"Pain is a Part of Life .... Misery is an option!" May I revise your signature ? " Paying is a Part of Life.........Miserly is an option of the wife! "

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.