Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I have a bit of a problem, every time I apply the brakes Front or rear the lights on the side pannier go out, and the rear lower lights go dim, I have tried to have a look but don't really know what I'm looking for, any help would very much appreciated :Britain-flag-04:

regards

Graham

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Graham,

My guess is a loose or poor ground somewhere. It is possible that it's a short but you should also have a fuse blowing if that was the case.

So I'm guessing ground, Start by taking off the main ground, cleaning & putting back on tight. Then work your way through the wiring. If nothing changes my next suggestion would be go to the switch.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

Good Luck & keep us informed of your progress.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, next silly question are we talking about the earth lead coming off the battery ?

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Thanks for the info, next silly question are we talking about the earth lead coming off the battery ?
Yes, that's where I would start. Battery terminal then the end that bolts to the frame.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I think fossil is on the right track for sure with the ground. Has there beenany other accessories added to the bike, trailer hitch and wiring perhaps?

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
It definitely sounds like a ground issue. What happens when you use the directional signals?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the info, I have now managed to fix the problem,
:YellowWink::YellowWink::YellowWink::YellowWink::YellowWink:

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
What was it?

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Glad you got things sorted Hill. As Tank said I am also curious as to what you found.:sCo_hmmthink:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys
Well what did I find, a load of dirt, frayed wires and a pain in the back, from bending over for hours, in the end I couldn't find the actual problem, so I rewired the whole back end of the bike, which is why it took hours to do, believe it or not the worst part was getting the bottom central lights out, as the 2 bolts holding it in place had gone rusty, but with plenty of WD40 I got them off, so with that little job out the way, the next thing to do is a service, which I have never done before, as I've always sent it to the garage to be done, so wish me luck and any tips would be very helpful.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Ron.

Well all the usual things like new plugs, air and oil filters that sort of thing, like I said I have never touched her before so not sure where to start or how

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
To replace the plugs, both lower fairings need to come off, which means the front chin will be removed, so you can access the oil filter with ease. The air filter is under the top shelter cover. Remove it and possibly one shelter side to replace the air filter. While in there replace the fuel filter. If you have a manual, it will make the procedures easier.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Air Filter=
* Remove the seat (4 allen bolts that hold the passenger hand grips, bolts unber the plug near the base of the handle)
*Remove the two acorn nuts holding the back end of the radio panel.
*Remove both fairing pockets ( will help in removing the radio panel)
*Open the gas filter door, LOOKING INSIDE ON THE RIGHT AND LEFT SIDE YOU'LL SEE
a flat paddle looking lever handle. Put a finger behind the rear edge and swing it in and forward, do both.
* Lift the back end of the radio and work the tabs out of holes on the sides and the dash tabs.
*I usually put a thick towel over the left side of the false tank and to keep from scratching the paint or you can disconnect all the connectors.
*The top of the air filter is right there. Locate the screws holding the top on remove them. Becarefull not to drop any into the bowels of the bike.
*One the right front there is a plug disconnect it and the two clips holding the front on.
* then lift the cover off and and remove the filter.
Then reverse the steps.
It's a start.
What would you like to do next.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Most times when the tail lights go out when the brakes are applied.
The ground is bad to the brake light, and the tail lights are grounding through the brake filliment. When you took it all apart and cleaned it you restored the ground.
Welcome to the Forum and Goldwings.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Ron

By the sound of all that, the thing I'd want to do next is take it to the garage and let them do it, lol
It all sounds very time consuming, which is something of a rare commodity for me, I guess it's all a little daunting as its something I've never done before.

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
It actually sounds like more work than it is. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
After telling you to check for grounds the other day.
I had my wing out today checking this and that.
I had some accessories wires that had not been hooked up when I got her.
I disconnected the ground from the battery, and connected the other leads to the hot side.
I then connected the groung leads. and put the seat back on.
When I turned the ignition on every thing came on, and when I hit the starter everything quit. nothing worked at all.
I left it alone for a little bit, and went inside for a cup of coffee.
I came back with a volt meter, and went to checking fuses.
All main fuses were good.
I went back to the battery, took the ground off, cleaned the leads with wire brush, then cleaned all positive leads and put them back on. Put the ground back on, and everything fired back up. Nothing looked that bad, but the wire brush took care of it.
Start with the easy things first before the hard ones.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Hi Ron

By the sound of all that, the thing I'd want to do next is take it to the garage and let them do it, lol
It all sounds very time consuming, which is something of a rare commodity for me, I guess it's all a little daunting as its something I've never done before.
Like Cantankerous, said, sounds worse then it is and the oil and oil filter isn't such a big deal, And it will save you a bunch of money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.