·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to run a wire from the battery up to the handle bars for:

1. Handlebar mounted GPS
2. Handlebar mounted Radar Detector
3. Power plug to run a compact air compressor

I have a plug in my glove box to the left of the handle bars but it cannot handle an air compressor and just kicks off.

If anyone can direct me to the best way to run the wires through instructions or a youtube video, that would be great.

I have done this many times on previously owned BMW RT's and GS's and I'm hoping I can run some wire without having to take all the plastic off the bike. I have never seen so much plastic on a bike as on the GL1800.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
You will have to take some of the plastic off to run the wires. The first thing that will need to come off will be the seat....lol. The side panels on the left side at the battery will have to come off to have access to the battery. Be sure to have a correct size inline fuse on the hot wire you run to the handle bar. That maybe all that has to come off....you can use a fish tape or coat hanger to fish the wire up to the handle bar area.

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
Install the power plug in the trunk to run the air compressor. Run wires directly from the battery with an inline 15 amp fuse. Any Auto Store should have the outlet and fuse line. Only one small hole to drill into the front trunk wall. Will need to remove the seat.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will have to take some of the plastic off to run the wires. The first thing that will need to come off will be the seat....lol. The side panels on the left side at the battery will have to come off to have access to the battery. Be sure to have a correct size inline fuse on the hot wire you run to the handle bar. That maybe all that has to come off....you can use a fish tape or coat hanger to fish the wire up to the handle bar area.
Thanks.

I have taken off two of the side covers and am trying to fish through a coat hanger but am hitting the plastic at the front of the motor. I think I might have to take that off which shouldn't be too hard.

Haven't looked at the manual to see how the seat comes off. Don't want to do any guess work in removing the plastics because they break easily.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Seat comes off with removing the two allen head bolts in the grab handles; easy off, often a real PITA to re-thread the bolts back in for installation though! There is an accessory terminal on the fuse block you can use rather than dierct to the battery terminals too. To make things somewhat easier, it might be a good idea to remove the edge trim (body coloured) of the fairing and loosen/remove the section of the shelter closest to your left knee position (when you ride) so you can run the wires more neatly.

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
A 15 amp fuse line would usually use a thicker wire. Typical wire size for a cigarette lighter is 14 AWG. I'm guessing here, but the 3 amp power outlet wire is more in the range of 16 to 18 gauge.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Chopin is talking sense. Never increase the amperage of a fuse because that's what the cicuit is designed for, including the wire guage. Running mor amperage than the circuit is capable of (regardless of fuse size) is asking for smoke; and we know where there's smoke...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would imagine you have completed this project.

I would not just fish wires from your battery for power with out securing them from rubbing. Remove the plastic and secure the wires or put them in a wire loom. For the compressor I use my battery tender cable to attach my compressor power directly to the battery. The Battery Tender cable is also fused.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
I have a connector hooked to the battery that runs the Battery Tender and can also be used to run the Slime compressor I carry in the bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.