Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 wing with a rivco trailer hitch where is a good spot to put the trailer wire connector? Does anybody have any pics they can send me or have any ideas where a god spot is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The PO of my 2001 had the wiring harness hanging beside the hitch and it looks quite sloppy. It also has the round connector from 1980. After updating my connection type, I am considering installing it so that it is actually firmly attached in the fairing (fender) or on the post the hitch is part of.

Just my two sense!

A

·
0 Posts
when I bought my '02, the PO had mounted the round connector receptable upside down next to the trailer hitch.

Beautiful to look at, horrible in practice. Water got into the connector and rotted out every one of the wires.

I threw it away, and replaced it with a 6 wire flat rubber connector. I have it zip tied to the top of the trailer hitch and don't give a shit who sees it. It serves the purpose, and it stays dry.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Here is where I mounted it on my 2012. You could do something similar on your 08. I also used a plug on the back so I did not need to take the whole thing apart when I need to take the panel off. I need a 6 pin as I have brakes on my trailer.

Here is the back side with the plug.

·
Premium Member
5,507 Posts
Nice instalation on the wing.....

A

·
0 Posts
Dan,
that is the same exact connector the PO used on my bike.

Being upside down, and vertical, it was hidden behind that fairing piece.

You could not see it, nor could you feel it by reaching under, it was about 2 inches higher than the fairing lip. My hitch is one of those vertical mount type. I had to lay down on the ground to connect it up....

well, that only happened once, as only half of the lights worked, and I had changed my trailer from 4 wire to 6 wire. So, I cut it out and threw it away.... it was corroded so bad inside it was all green with corrosion.

I just went back to my old school days, and brought the flat molded wire cable out to a rubber 6 wire connector and zip tied it to the top of the hitch.... which I never take off, ever... too damn much trouble, and if I leave the house for more than 3 hours, the trailer goes with me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts