Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to fix my wiring issues by keeping things original as posiable. Now as many people already know of the electrical issue of the 1200. I have cleaned up the wiring around the main fuse and taken the advice on here of putting a car fuse in there. I am happy with that so far. Anouther problem with the wiring has been in the false gas tank with the wiring to the regulator. The wiring was burt at the plug. So I cleaned them up and put a new plug to the regulator. I thought problem solve it. The stator has been replaced with a heavy duty one and I was checking the volts to the battery the other day before going away and was not getting charge to the battery. I had already brought a new regulator but because the last time I checked the charge it was 14.4 volts. Not broke don't fix rule applied. So now I think it must be the regulator. No problems I will put the new one in. In a few months the heat in the wiring has been hot enough to start melting the new plugs.
A long intro., but what is the best fix. I was thinking of doing away with the plastic plug and soldering the wires together to try and stop some of the heat. Or putting in heavier wiring to stop some of the heat. Or maybe there is a better fix that you may know. This is for a 1984 1200 goldwing. Eric

·
Administrator
28,994 Posts
Can't help much Mate. However I was doing some searching & found this website that may have some answers for you.

Good Luck.

http://gl1200harness.tripod.com/

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked at the link. In my simplistic mind I thought that if soldering the three wires from stator stoped some of the heat because of the joins. Then if I do away with the plastic plug to the regulator and solder the wires it may stop some of the heat there. And again with my simplistic mind I think the wireing is too light and this is why the heat is in the wiring. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
email sent my friend

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Yes my friend, solder them with heat shrink for insulation.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I never had to doeal with the connector problem on the 1200 but those I know with 1200's all replaced the stator connector with soldiered joints.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
I never had to doeal with the connector problem on the 1200 but those I know with 1200's all replaced the stator connector with soldiered joints.
i haven't replaced my connector

1 - 7 of 7 Posts