Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for you Northern riders. I am looking for information on storage of my bike. I have 2 choices: 1-Put it in a garage with a cement floor and no heat, 2- put it in a garage with a wooden floor and no heat. I had a discussion with some friends today that focused on how there cars rust out in a garage with a cement floor. Should I be concerned?

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
This is the first year I will be storing my 09 GL1800 and I will do the same thing I did for 11 years with my GL1500. In a unheated garage on a concrete floor. I'll put it up on the center stand and put two carpet samples under the wheels. Connect the battery tender and see you in the spring.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Redfox I must admit I fall into a 3rd category that you didn't mention and that is 3-Garage with cement floor & radiant in floor heat. Yes my Wing, Nighthawk, wife's Smart car & her Subaru all love their owners to the extreme. I can understand your concern without heat however if the garage is dry than I would do what Two Wheel said, The only thing I would do in addition which I do every year is add Stabil. I'm sure Two Wheel just didn't mention it.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Good advice from both Two Wheel and Fossil. My scoot resides in the garage that is attached to the house, but isn't heated. When it gets real cold (-30 to -40, yeah I know that's just too *&^$ing cold) the temp at floor level drops to about -5 (20*f) but nothing too drastic. The air temp stays around 5* above freezing most of the time. With the snow dropping off of the wife's car and making puddles on the floor, I used to worry about possible humidity trouble, but the center stand and rug or such works wonders. I cover my bike also; not with the nylon rain cover, but a thin cloth-like fabric that is very breatheable. Protects from dust and little bumps due to careless husbands/wives. I always make sure the bike is spotless and has a finish protectant on it too.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... I Have A 3' X 8' X 1/2" Peice Of Plywood That I Drive Up On And Park ... Oh Ya ... Inside -cement Floor- No Heat-batt. Tender-fuel Stabilizer-center Stand ... Budoka You Are Right That Is %@$&ing Cold ... Happy Trails ...

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I guess I will go for the cement, no heat with a soft breathable cover.

Budoka - You get real cold. You are going to have to move to the Maritimes or BC. Back in 93 a couple of my buddies and I went coast to coast and while in Calary, Alberta, we stopped in at Yamaha dealer to get some work done on my bike. (1000 Virago). The gentlemen who owned the shop was 83 years old who rode a bike with a sidecart and drove it all winter. He said there was only two days he didn't make it in to work. Maybe your season could be longer??????

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just be carefull with to much Stabilizer, can cause problems with fuel too.Follow all directions when using Stabilizers.Been in small engines since 1957, I use it, but brother doesn't believe in it and doesn't have problems. Cold doesn't seem to effect it as heat does. 1982 Gold wing aspencade 50 k and still going strong. i just drove 2 hours in the rain at temp of 37 F, and i kept warm as toast.I put two of those hand Disposable warmers in my gloves, boy do they work.first time trying them.Age 70, and my very first post in here.on the shore of Lake Michigan, WI side.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
WA9FWT

u da man Keep riding & welcome.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Redfox, unfortunately our season isn't longer that Calgary's. They have the most effective snow removal there; it's called sunlight and Chinook winds (LOL). The West coast has it's appeal for sure (climate) but I'm not ready to sign on to the monthly gov't earnings yet.
Ditto on the cautious use of fuel stabilizers, and they are less of a necessity during winter storage than summer storage (snowmobiles and snowthrowers etc). Most, if any of my fuel issues have been with storing winter equipment over the warm humid months. Fuel doesn't seem to take as long to go funky during the summer, and I do believe it is worse than it used to be. My snowblower sat inside in the garage all summer, and the fuel in it smelled worse than turpentine when I went to flash it up a couple weeks back. The volume of fuel in the tank is as critical as what you put in it IMO

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Hand Warmers ...

Just be carefull with to much Stabilizer, can cause problems with fuel too.Follow all directions when using Stabilizers.Been in small engines since 1957, I use it, but brother doesn't believe in it and doesn't have problems. Cold doesn't seem to effect it as heat does. 1982 Gold wing aspencade 50 k and still going strong. i just drove 2 hours in the rain at temp of 37 F, and i kept warm as toast.I put two of those hand Disposable warmers in my gloves, boy do they work.first time trying them.Age 70, and my very first post in here.on the shore of Lake Michigan, WI side.
... HOWDY ... WHEN I WAS WORKING AT THE SOUTH POLE AND UP IN ALASKA I PUT WARMERS IN MY GLOVES AND PANTS POCKETS ... KEPT MY HANDS WARM AND A FEW OTHER THINGS :-> ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
201 Posts
The battery maintainer is important especially with the digital dash. The 85 LTD will almost kill a battey in a month because the digital readout map is always flashing, only a milliamp draw or so but over time will kill your battery for sure.
Two kinds of low output trickle chargers, one is just a charger,the good ones are a maintenance charger that shut off automaticly when the maintenance charge is reached so it won't boil the battery acid, a good investment.I have 3, one for the GW,one for the ATV/snowplow, one for the riding lawn tractor,they work great. My GW is in the garage on cement with no heat, plywood under the tires with the custom cover in place ,I start it once a month for 20 minutes to lube the engine seals,valves,gaskets etc.and it has a full tank of gas so no condensation problems.
My boats, I fog them for winter (10/30 in the carbs til they smoke) stabilizer,full tank,drain the block because of the raw water cooling in the I/O engine.

Ride safe,
Robert

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I'm getting my bike ready for winter also. Fill up the gas tank, change the oil and anti-freeze and check the tires and hop on it and ride!!!! Living in California is tough, but someone has to do it !!!:D:)

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes Joe life must me reallyyyyyyy rough. But watch out for that earthquake hole in front of you or those wild fires on the twistie hills.

Enjoy the sun.

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you have been running regular fuel you will need conditioner because of the ethanol content of the fuel.Stabil has a marine conditioner that is supposed to be good.I fill the tank with Super(less or no ethanol) although I don't normally run it and use cond.
Change your oil.Too much acid in it from combustion.
I fog my motor after every thing else is done.IMHO fog it and forget it.Starting it every couple of weeks(if you remember) in the cold temps is just setting it up for condensation.
Before I throw the cover on it I spray all the metal(chrome,alum.etc..)with WD40.It will dry up a bit but when you come back in the spring you can still wipe off a film of oil with your finger and it washes off easily.
Been doing my Wings like this for years and no problems so far.

P.S. I usually put cheap oil in it for the storage period because I dump it out in the spring anyway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I too store it in an unheated garage and just park it on the bare concrete. What is the issue with tires and bare concrete that plywood would help????:confused::confused:

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you have been running regular fuel you will need conditioner because of the ethanol content of the fuel.Stabil has a marine conditioner that is supposed to be good.I fill the tank with Super(less or no ethanol) although I don't normally run it and use cond.
Change your oil.Too much acid in it from combustion.
I fog my motor after every thing else is done.IMHO fog it and forget it.Starting it every couple of weeks(if you remember) in the cold temps is just setting it up for condensation.
Before I throw the cover on it I spray all the metal(chrome,alum.etc..)with WD40.It will dry up a bit but when you come back in the spring you can still wipe off a film of oil with your finger and it washes off easily.
Been doing my Wings like this for years and no problems so far.

P.S. I usually put cheap oil in it for the storage period because I dump it out in the spring anyway.
chris, just how do you fog the engine. Just remove the plugs and squirt or into the intake while running ? Phil WA9FWT

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
This is the first year I will be storing my 09 GL1800 and I will do the same thing I did for 11 years with my GL1500. In a unheated garage on a concrete floor. I'll put it up on the center stand and put two carpet samples under the wheels. Connect the battery tender and see you in the spring.
cardboard under the bike from front to back not just the wheels, disconnect the battery ( odssey pc680 ), coat with lemon pledge, and put the cover on

·
Registered
21 Posts
Before I get home I fill the tank, put in some Sta-Bil. When I get home I put the side stand down and wait for the next day to ride.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Before I get home I fill the tank, put in some Sta-Bil. When I get home I put the side stand down and wait for the next day to ride.
Now thats good thinking!! I have gone through your town many a time on a bike.Went to the Indy 500 I think about ten years in a row.
Then come back to cold wis at that time of the year. WA9FWT Phil

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gerbing makes cold nicer! LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts