Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is winter here now. Summer is winding up.

I have the Gerbing jacket liner, gloves and a dual controller. When the weather is 50 degrees and raining, my bike is parked. When it is 30, clear skies, I get a new riding season.

Anyone else ride with electric gear?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i am using tourmaster synergy pants and jacket liners. my coldest day out was 32f and i had to turn the heat down

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I never rode with heated gear, but my 09 1800 has the heated grips and seat and I've come to enjoy them on those mornings when the temps are in the 30's and low 40's. Did you have to increase the alternator output to accomodate the heated gear??

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Mix of Gerbing/Tourmaster. Since you have the dual controller it is nice to have 2 different temps going as the hands always seem to need a touch more heat.

For her, outfitted from head to toe.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a dual controller and when she is riding with me, I plug her into one of the controller ports and my gloves ends up on my coat circuit.

Rarely is she on the bike when it is cold out.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Here's an idea for you if that situation ever changes & she does ride more. The only thing with this is if you outfit here head to toe & your stuff then Two Wheel is correct about Alternator if you don't have a Compufire you need to be careful. I'm sure you already know that.

1st pic is Auxilary fuse panel wired to the start circuit.
2nd is her connection
3rd is mine with BMW style plug end.

All works great.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would work.

I just need to pony up and buy another controller for her coat so when we stop we don't have to unwire ourselves!

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
That's what I'm saying. It makes stops so much more enjoyable. We would just unplug separately & let the chord ends hang. :D:D:D

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Behind every great man is a great woman, especially if tied together! I've ridden on some fall days wearing my snowmobile suit. That's usually a sign to put puppy away for the hybernation period.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Good old fashion thermals work for me in Winter and yes it does get cold in Florida.
Last year Tallahassee did get snow. I dress in layers and as it warms up begin to remove them slowly. I do have lined winter gloves and a pair of snowmobile gloves in case it gets real biting cold.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
i just dress in layers

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I have only just got my new electric vest. I have just tried to see how long you can get heat from it, because it is a battery type. It took 6 hours of use before it went flat. One thing I don't like at the moment is the control but I need to give it more time before I pass judgement on it. The weather is warming up here now and I may not get much of a chance to test it. Eric

·
Registered
71 Posts
Winter in Ohio

Hi,
If the weather is above 45', I wear my Synergy heated jacket liner and a windproof shell over it. If it's above 30, I wear the heated jacket and a riding jacket. Below 30 I wear the heated jacket and a one piece 'stich riding suit.
On my old BMW 1200GS, there was a gauge that would tell the temp. Below 32', it would flash to tell you about possible icing. Went out one day and at 14' it didn't work. Asked one of the tech guys and he informed me that it was working and it was flashing. It was flashing so fast you couldn't see it.... oh, and he said it didn't give the temp, it was flashing idiot idiot idiot.....
Guess he was a fair weather rider....
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Up Date

As you would understand, the weather has not been very cold in resent times here. But I did get to try the heated vest for one colder morning and this is my findings.
With your motorcycle jacket all done up, it pulls the heated vest in nice and tight to your body and gives a nice heat on the low setting. So that is the good part.
But the other side of the coin so as to speak. It is left lacking. The heat controller is not long enough to slip into your jacket pocket so that you can change the heat or turn it off with ease. In fact on your bike the controller is imposiable to reach. This being the case means that what ever heat you set it on is what you have until you stop. For some people that just want it on until the next stop, all is well. I was hoping to be able to have it on until I got through the hills and turn it off when I decended on the other side. Which is about an hours ride. Or when the temp drops as it get dark. But I need to stop to operate it. But you know what it's like when you are going somewhere. YOU DON"T WANT TO STOP. Unless you need gas or a break.
Another point is that the jacket is supposed to be uni sex. Well let me tell you my wife has curves where I don't and this dosen't fit around them curves. If you get my drift.
I will load some photos to show my point. Look at how short the controller is. The first photo shows the controller. The 2nd. the battery. The 3rd. the controller with the jacket on. The last photo is Vanessa CAT club watch. She wont wear the hat.
With you guys heading into cold weather, I hope this helps. Eric

Attachments

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wired up the Silverwing for my electrics on Tuesday and went for a 100 mile ride on it. It sure is nice to fly down the road nice and warm. I am going to break down and buy the pants too.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
As you would understand, the weather has not been very cold in resent times here. But I did get to try the heated vest for one colder morning and this is my findings.
With your motorcycle jacket all done up, it pulls the heated vest in nice and tight to your body and gives a nice heat on the low setting. So that is the good part.
But the other side of the coin so as to speak. It is left lacking. The heat controller is not long enough to slip into your jacket pocket so that you can change the heat or turn it off with ease. In fact on your bike the controller is imposiable to reach. This being the case means that what ever heat you set it on is what you have until you stop. For some people that just want it on until the next stop, all is well. I was hoping to be able to have it on until I got through the hills and turn it off when I decended on the other side. Which is about an hours ride. Or when the temp drops as it get dark. But I need to stop to operate it. But you know what it's like when you are going somewhere. YOU DON"T WANT TO STOP. Unless you need gas or a break.
Another point is that the jacket is supposed to be uni sex. Well let me tell you my wife has curves where I don't and this dosen't fit around them curves. If you get my drift.
I will load some photos to show my point. Look at how short the controller is. The first photo shows the controller. The 2nd. the battery. The 3rd. the controller with the jacket on. The last photo is Vanessa CAT club watch. She wont wear the hat.
With you guys heading into cold weather, I hope this helps. Eric
That's a short one you have there Eric. Besides the length, wouldn't you think the controller would be better placed on one's left side ? When I'm rolling down the highway , with my right hand on the throttle, my left hand is free to play around with other items.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
To me it not well made for a motorcycle. You need to be able to operate it on the move. And you can't:
The controller isn't long enough.
The buttons on the controller are too small [here size does matter]
And yes the controller is on the side that has your throttle and front brake.
Eric

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a battery operated coat from milwaukee that uses a m12 volt battery, I can't belive how well it works, has settings from low medium and high and I have worn this under my leather coat at 23 deg. and did not get cold except my fingers which I'm working on getting some battery gloves soon-like tonight! Only draw back on the coat is battery is located rear left so you have to remember to adjust it before setting back.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts