Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All – Just a comment or two in the “Other Motorcycle” section. I’ve been looking for a knock-around winter project and found a nice 2007 V-Rod 1200 that has been sitting until it will no longer start. There are multiple diagnostic codes flashing including faults in the fuel injection system, input sensors and the main computer. I have found the main problem with trying to buy a V-Rod (even ones that are dead-in-the-water) is that many original owners paid an inflated over invoice price and then sunk a small fortune into genuine HD accessories. Sadly so far, their asking price is often based on the fact that it’s out of production and now hoping they will be considered a museum piece. I’d love to breath some life back into one of these Porsche designed V-Rod engines, but after striking out again to make a deal, I’ve moved on to a 2004 Suzuki Intruder V-Twin 1500.

The Intruder’s gas tank and both carbs are full of stale, coagulated varnish but the rest of the bike looks to be in pretty good shape. The fuel is stored under the seat like the GW, it has hydraulic lifters, 5 speed transmission and a drive shaft. Most of the motorcycle forums and owner reviews say these old Intruders are considered almost maintenance free (compared to HD) and if properly serviced, the drive train is indestructible. With the center of gravity lower than most large displacement V twins and the wide, comfortable seat 29” from the ground, the low speed parking lot maneuvers are very stable. Now to go back over once again to see if we can come to a reasonable price.

Any one know much about the Suzuki Intruder ? Michael

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wish you all the luck, had one years ago they are as people describe nearly indestructible. Never had a manual for it as it is pretty simple and if I had any questions I pulled the parts diagram up on Bike Bandit.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, gave up on trying to negotiate any further on the V-Rod. It was a little too much money and for some reason the owner was very hesitant to let me do any of the basic pre-purchase tests claiming I wasn’t a trained HD mechanic.

The Intruder is still under consideration. So far I’ve jumpered passed the ignition switch (no key) to power up the electrics, ignition, lights, etc… and there is a good spark at the plugs. The liquid crystal odometer shows just over 61k miles which seems tolerable but even with a little marvel mystery oil sitting in the cylinders for a while, the compression is a bit low (Front = 134/Rear = 95). With the wiring repaired the auto-decompression solenoid began working. It’s purpose is to give the starter a fighting chance to spin over a typical V-Twin by slightly cracking open both exhaust valves during the initial stroke of the motor. After several more test cycles, the compression may improve as the rings loosen up. Along with expecting to work over the carburetors, fuel pump, gas tank, etc…. another problem I found is that the stator coil winding is shorted together which means the left side covers must come off. There are lots of cheap used parts around which will help on this project – my wife says “O-Goody” ……

Michael

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wish you luck.👍

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shoot, there turned out to be a couple of problems when it came time to pull the trigger and buy the 2004 Intruder 1500. The most significant was the continued lack of any improvement in cylinder compression no matter what I tried. Ultimately, a borrowed Harbor Freight bore scope showed scoring in both cylinders, the heads heavily coated with carbon and the exhaust valves appear burned. When I asked about the previous owner, the guy admitted his son had originally installed a pair of over sized, re-jetted carburetors, straight through drag pipes and a modified ignition which had all now been removed. Then, although originally told that the title was available, it still had a (very minor ?) lean at a pay-day loan company. This information could have saved both of us a lot of wasted time. After reassembling the bike, I gathered up my tools, loaded my trailer ramps and headed home to continue the hunt. ☹

Any Suggestions On How To Avoid This Next Time - Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts