Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being retired and prone to becoming a couch potato I realized early in my retirement that to enjoy years of riding my beloved 85 LTD I'd better keep in relatively good shape. No one to my knowledge has touched on the topic of strength,agility,mental focus,and endurance it takes to be in the saddle for hours and days on end riding a full dresser especially with a passenger.

I've always maintained riding like we do is'nt for everyone.Riding takes far more skills than sitting behind a steering wheel.The young Bucks who ride are usually very active anyway but us older guys need to think about this.I want to sit in my saddle come spring and know I'm up to the demands placed on my physical strength and mental alertness,I'm 65.
I walk 30 to 40 minutes a day every day around the neighbourhood and Golf Coarse getting a decent Cardio happening.
What do you do? Or is this even a concern to you.

-Robert_

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... At 58 I Exercise Daily ... Reading -'bstar's Posts' - Does That Count ??? And I Walk Do Stretches And Sometimes Isometric Stuff ... Happy Trails ... P.S. MUST BE SOMETHING BOUT THEM 85 LTD's ...

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Being retired and prone to becoming a couch potato I realized early in my retirement that to enjoy years of riding my beloved 85 LTD I'd better keep in relatively good shape. No one to my knowledge has touched on the topic of strength,agility,mental focus,and endurance it takes to be in the saddle for hours and days on end riding a full dresser especially with a passenger.

I've always maintained riding like we do is'nt for everyone.Riding takes far more skills than sitting behind a steering wheel.The young Bucks who ride are usually very active anyway but us older guys need to think about this.I want to sit in my saddle come spring and know I'm up to the demands placed on my physical strength and mental alertness,I'm 65.
I walk 30 to 40 minutes a day every day around the neighbourhood and Golf Coarse getting a decent Cardio happening.
What do you do? Or is this even a concern to you.

-Robert_
Bob: You raise a very good point now that we are in the winter of our discontent. I'm 53 years old on any given day and new to the Goldwing. I see my leg muscles have to learn the weight compared to the cruiser I rode. I'm a garage door mechanic, and although my day is spent driving aroud and stopping to fix a door along the way, I don't use " riding muscles " in my day activities. I do , however, exercise driving awareness. I may be in a work van, but in my mind I'm on the bike.
I live and work in the Virginia suburbs of Washington D.C. where an accident is waiting to happen. It's amazing how much one can forcast driver's actions by noting just the license plate. Out-of-state = uncertainty; Maryland tags= sudden lane shift to fill an empty space ; cell phone driver = ????????? If it's a choice of mind or matter I hope a sharp mind can balance out a weak leg come springtime.............

·
Registered
263 Posts
Off season shape

Good idea to keep fit in the off season. I use to be a gym rat in my teens through my thirties. I stopped lifting since tearing two bicep muscles. I actually tore the muscle doing chin-ups on the monkey bars, at the beach.

Anyways, I noticed that once in a while my (L) hip muscle wants to lock up on me - especially while sitting on the GW. I should start adding stretching to my daily walking routine so that I don't have that problem in the spring. I am fifty and feeling it, but trying to avoid looking it.

Thanks for the reminder. Its guys like you, in their fifties and sixties who give me incentive to extend my riding time in life.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea to keep fit in the off season. I use to be a gym rat in my teens through my thirties. I stopped lifting since tearing two bicep muscles. I actually tore the muscle doing chin-ups on the monkey bars, at the beach.

Anyways, I noticed that once in a while my (L) hip muscle wants to lock up on me - especially while sitting on the GW. I should start adding stretching to my daily walking routine so that I don't have that problem in the spring. I am fifty and feeling it, but trying to avoid looking it.

Thanks for the reminder. Its guys like you, in their fifties and sixties who give me incentive to extend my riding time in life.
Being X Military fitness seems to be blueprinted in my Brain LOL ,but
thats a good thing. 65 and still can't bring myself to get rid of my
free weights and bench. The only reason I stopped bench pressing etc. was a serious operation last spring.After that I had to consider what was best for health so now I powerwalk 7 days a week no matter what the weather. I atv all the mountains around here as well as my trips on the wing. If we want to continue doing the things we love for many years in our retirement we need to stay strong and this does'nt happen by chance. :)

-Robert-

·
Registered
105 Posts
Robert,
Being the baby on this forum, 41 years young, lol, I normally train my USMC military body 7 days a week of cardio training for at least 40 to 60 mins a day. I also do weight training 6 days a week. After 20 years in the military service and doing several body building contest and running a few marathons, I think cardio is the best medicine to staying fit and healthy for many years. I would also highly recommend joining a local health club so you are able to do some type of cardio training every day or at least 4 to 5 days a week no mater what the outside temp maybe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts