Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not being ALL THAT mechanically inclined, especially with a bike that needs so much removed to get at "stuff" (and then put back in the right place with NO pieces left over) I am having a nearby shop (whom I trust) rebuild my carbs, slave cylinder, clutch, and replace the belts. He has given me an estimate of approx. $1500.00 including parts. What do you more experienced riders/wrenchers think? Does this sound like a good and fair deal to you. I think so. Oh, by the way, my ride is a 1986 GL1200 Aspencade with 94,000 miles on her. I'm thinking that, after this rebuild, I should be able to get many, many many more 1,000's of enjoyable miles from this bike. (I have been having some clutch problems lately, which is what prompted this work)

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
It sounds like you're getting a lot done. I'm not going to tell you good or bad (although it seems fair) because everyone will look at it differently. Here's what I will say to you.

If you are satisfied with the price, trust this shop & want to have it done by them than that is all that matters.

Remember this, it's very easy for somebody from Az, Ca, Vt, MI, Va, Fla, Pa, Wa, or Canada to tell you a guy from IL that the price is too high, you should do the work yourself, get a 2nd quote, yada yada yada.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, thanks fossil, I have heard that a lot. But, I want it done right, and I do think he is being fair as I have dealt with him before. I got the run-around ALL last summer with the Honda mechanic about getting my clutch rebuilt. He just seemed like he didn't really want to do it. My ride IS an '86 and old, so I kinda understand. But I wish he would have said right upfront he didn't want to,or couldn't, do it. Then I would have found someone else right away.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
maestro319,

I suscribe to a pretty simple philosphy. If I determine I want to do something no matter what it may be, I access value "to me" not to anyone else. If it makes sense for me then that is what I do.

I remember one time getting a call from my Brother-in-law, him asking me what I was doing, when I explained it to him (which included me not being at work that day), he paused for a moment & then said in a very calm voice. What the #%&@ is wrong with you? You know all about HVAC/Plumbing stuff. Go back to work get some jobs sold & make enough money to pay someone to do that.

A lesson I soon won't forget.:D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, at this point in my biking experience, this makes sense to me. Maybe in a couple of years, with more experience and watching and learning, maybe then I'll be able to do "some" wrenching on my bike. Plugs, oil, filters, etc.

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
You can't really put a price on anguish and peace of mind. I have to agree with fossil, if you're comfortable with it, it's a good deal. I have my own comfort limits with what I'll tackle myself, the rest goes on a work order and I write the cheque.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fossil and budoka. you made me feel better about my decision. I'll let you know the final outcome and how big my smile is next spring.

·
Super Moderator
15,217 Posts
i'm more comfortable working on my air cooled bikes than the wings so for some work on the wings i take them to the shop

·
Super Moderator
11,882 Posts
That sounds like a fair price. It's about what I was quoted to do similar work on my 1500.

I would have him put an updated stator in it while he has it apart, as the engine will already be out. It will save you future expense.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
That sounds like a fair price. It's about what I was quoted to do similar work on my 1500.

I would have him put an updated stator in it while he has it apart, as the engine will already be out. It will save you future expense.
I second the updated stator.
$1500.00 is cheaper than a new bike an nothing if you are a 100 miles from no where and broke down. Good time to get it done. Take care ride safe:)

·
Premium Member
17,134 Posts
Although I do most of my general maintenance and repair on my 93 -1500, there are some thing I just don't do. You got to do what rights for you. Fossil provided good advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts