Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be at Wings Over The Smokies this year. We were there in '07 but due to some family stuff getting in the way, we disn't make '08.

Hope to see you all there and we will have a Special or Two for the Show.. Let us know you were from the Forum if you stop by.

Bob

·
Registered
692 Posts
We will be at Wings Over The Smokies this year. We were there in '07 but due to some family stuff getting in the way, we disn't make '08.

Hope to see you all there and we will have a Special or Two for the Show.. Let us know you were from the Forum if you stop by.

... HOWDY ... BOB ... DOES AMSOIL MAKE A 10-40 SYN BLEND ??? IF SO HOW MUCH PER/QT. ... I SAW THERE IS A DEALER ABOUT 15 MILES FROM ME ... THANKS RON ...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ron,

AMSOIL has no blends for Motorcycles..

AMSOIL MCT 10W-30, MCF 10W-40 and MCV 20W-50 are our Top of The Line Motorcycle Specific oils. We do have some other oils as well that carry the JASO MA Rating where the above carry the Highest Rating available, MA 2.

Our Automotive 10W-40, Product Code AMO which also carries the JASO MA Rating for wet clutch applications and is about $15.60 per case less than the MCF 10W-40

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Amsoil

Hi Ron,

AMSOIL has no blends for Motorcycles..

AMSOIL MCT 10W-30, MCF 10W-40 and MCV 20W-50 are our Top of The Line Motorcycle Specific oils. We do have some other oils as well that carry the JASO MA Rating where the above carry the Highest Rating available, MA 2.

Our Automotive 10W-40, Product Code AMO which also carries the JASO MA Rating for wet clutch applications and is about $15.60 per case less than the MCF 10W-40

Bob
Amsoil does have 10W40 rated for motor cycles and it is all I have used for years. If you are curious about the numbers, google "THE OIL BIBLE" it is a independent study.
Joe 50+

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amsoil does have 10W40 rated for motor cycles and it is all I have used for years. If you are curious about the numbers, google "THE OIL BIBLE" it is a independent study.
Joe 50+
AMSOIL MCF is Motorcycle Specific 10W-40

AMSOIL AMO is 10W-40 that carries a JASO MA Rating

Neither are Blends.. They are 100% Synthetic

The Oil Bible is far from an Independent Study... If you are curious about numbers, ask me.. I have been doing this for over 35 yrs...

10 is the Winter weight of the oil and the 40 is the Operating Viscosity at 212 degrees F.

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was under the understanding that it was an independent study. So who actualy did this study, was it Amsoil ???
I am a prefered customer and I have used Amsiol in my truck, ATV, 86 goldwing and lawntractor for years and I believe it is a good product.
Question; My truck calls for 5W30 and the Amsoil site shows it as the prefered grade. The 0W30 is a premium grade would it be a better choise.
Joe 50+

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was under the understanding that it was an independent study. So who actualy did this study, was it Amsoil ???
I am a prefered customer and I have used Amsiol in my truck, ATV, 86 goldwing and lawntractor for years and I believe it is a good product.
Question; My truck calls for 5W30 and the Amsoil site shows it as the prefered grade. The 0W30 is a premium grade would it be a better choise.
Joe 50+
The tests are performed by several of the Top Testing Facilities in the US. At least one is a Non-profit. They are performed to ASTM Specifications unlike some of the so-called tests that people have seen on TV, at fairs Etc... They can be duplicated by anyone and the results will be the same. That is why we rely so heavily upon them.

I believe AMSOIL is the Best Product you can buy and it is also a great company. Otherwise, I'd sell something else.

As far as the choice for your truck. The SSO 0W-30 is the Top of The Line Street oil. I look at it like this.. If you put on more than 20-25,000 miles per yr, do your own oil changes, then yes, the SSO is the way to go. If you put on less miles, then you might be better to stay with the ASL 5W-30, not the XL 5W-30

I have SSO in my work van with 350,000 miles on it and has never had any internal work performed. I also continue to use the AMSOIL EAO oil filters which are the best money can buy.

Good isn't cheap
Cheap isn't good

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the feed back. If I ever get around to first buying then installing the filter by pass kit I will probably then use the 0W30. The buy pass system is about $350.00 CDN which is a lot of money at this time.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feed back. If I ever get around to first buying then installing the filter by pass kit I will probably then use the 0W30. The buy pass system is about $350.00 CDN which is a lot of money at this time.
How about if I can save you 20-25% off of Retail ?

Good isn't cheap
Cheap isn't good

Bob

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Joe.... Tell me what your truck is... I guessed at a Chevy because of the 5W-30

Give me year, make model and engine size and I will work up a quote for you in Canadian $$

Good isn't cheap
Cheap isn't good

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is a 2001 Silverado Z71.
I think the parts required are.
2001 Silverado 5.3L

BMK-23 – Bypass System

EaO26- Full flow filter

EaBP-90 Bypass Filter

BK296 Spin on adapter

Must the filters be mounted verticaly or can I put them on horizontally

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vertical is ideal. I have mounted them horizontal...

One of my local customers mounted his on the driver side of the engine like over the steering column but for the life of me I can't remember how and I have seen it.

The most common place is on the frame rail right under the cab floor.

Those were the parts I came up with in my assumption...

I will try and work this up tomorrow.

Good isn't cheap
Cheap isn't good

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.