Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today 5 Feb, 2011, my son and I took our Goldwings to see Bald Eagles. Half way between Burnet, Texas and Llano, Texas on Hwy 29 there is an eagle nest. It is in a tree about 100 yards south of the hwy and on the edge of the Llano River. There is at least one chick in the nest and I am told it will fledge in early April. I have never in all my travels seen a Bald Eagle and I have to admit I was overwhelmed with the experience. People stop along the highway and visit and take pictures and use binoculars to view these beautiful birds. Noise does not seem to bother them as 18 wheelers and traffic of all kinds whizzes by. We stayed there about 4 hours and took over 200 shots. The mother eagle brought a fish to the nest right after we arrived and it looked to be about 10 inches long and maybe a pound or so. We saw the chick several times but it stayed well down in the nest most of the time. Towards the end of our stay the male (larger bird) came sweeping in from the north and circled the nest and landed above the nest. The symbol of our nation living in harmony with humans. There is a lesson in that for all of us. It was a wonderful day and here are a few shots of the Wings of Eagles. Enjoy for we did. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Great pics, thanks for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
28,443 Posts
Majestic birds they are. Thanks for posting

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Fantastic pics!! Glad the turkey didnt make it!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing. There were a couple nesting in the wildlife refuge I worked at on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain. There also was a nest just west of Waveland, MS that was in a man's pasture, not far from his house, and right next to a railroad track. A couple very urban areas. If they have a good place to nest and food they do just fine.

I'll try not to get into the Turkey/Eagle debate, but my vote would have been with Ben Franklin.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
They are making a good come back here in the Northwest. Used to be when one of the Dairy farmers in the area had a calf born dead, they would lay it out in the field, the eagles loved it. A few years ago before the Goverment banned the practice I seen as many as 32 around one carcass. We still se a lot of them around just not in big groups any more. Unless you go to one of the rivers when the Salmon are running.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
I'll try not to get into the Turkey/Eagle debate, but my vote would have been with Ben Franklin.
Franklin's Letter to His Daughter (excerpt)

"For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

"With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country . . .

"I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America . . . He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on."

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I fish quite a bit and see many of these birds. In years past, not so. Like Ron said, they are making a good come back in the northwest.

Kinda like Jessie James or Billy the Kid. Thieves.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
We have bald eagles and ospreys that nest on the island not far from our house. We had a pair of golden eagles for a few years too, but I haven't seen them for a while. The baldies like to rob ice fishermen of their catch if you leave them unattended. By unattended I mean anything more than ten feet away. You wouldn't think some bird that big could be that sneaky ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wings of Eagles

Loved that post. What a great way to spend part of the day and appreciated the pics.

As to Eagle/Turkey debate. The Eagle is a symbol of our government. Lets see........It's lazy........It steals.........It's sneaky!
Sounds like the perfect symbol to me.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
As to Eagle/Turkey debate. The Eagle is a symbol of our government. Lets see........It's lazy........It steals.........It's sneaky!
Sounds like the perfect symbol to me.
Well, when you think of it that way.....hard to argue with.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Amazing debate here about Turkey vs. Bald Eagle. I do know how wonderfully "smart" those turkeys are. If they are outside and it rains they will look up and eventually some will drown. Thats not fiction, thats fact. I just enjoyed seeing my first Bald Eagle in person and couldn't help but wish I had a nice new flag to put up somewhere around there. I still vote for the Eagle. :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The Eagle only Ships on Tuesdays Here!!!HEHE!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts