Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks...Just finished a 2000 plus mile ride to Colorado and back. You name the weather and I drove the Goldwing through it. It was 98 degrees going through Amarillo a couple of weeks ago and arrived in Buena Vista, Colorado that same day at 38 degrees. Rode in rain in West Texas, snow in Colorado and fog and drizzle in Lubbock. I'll try to write up a little summary of the trip but thought you might just like a preview of some of the highlights. Yesterday, coming home I took some shots of the road between Salida and Cotapaxi Colorado. The Arkansas river parallels Hwy 50 and offers some of the most beautiful riding I have ever had the pleasure of doing. The 25 mile stretch I take leads me to Hwy 69 where I shoot south to Walsenburg and Raton. Along this route you will see everything from deer to elk and people camping and fly fishing. The roads are pot marked with patches that cover up holes made from falling boulders. Much of the road has no guard rails and a mistake will either get you wet or dead. Here are some of the shots along that route. From Salida you drop down into the canyon and twist and turn eastward. At Cotapaxi I climb out of the canyon and head south rewarded with majestic views of the mountains. We had 6 inches of snow Monday and yesterday it was clear and 50 degrees. If your ever headed towards Colorado, you must make this a priority ride. Enjoy...Isaac

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,505 Posts
Very nice Isaac. I look forward to the full review & more pictures.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.....

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Nice Issac. Deb, my son and I rafted the Arkansas River through the Royal Gorge about 5 years ago. Flow was class 4 whitewater, freezing cold and an absolute blast. Riding along the Arkansas looks epic. Having ridden to Colorado from Texas I well remember the extreme weather and temperature extremes. Glad you had a safe and memorable ride.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Thanks so much from afar. Look forward to the rest of the report. Eric

·
Registered
294 Posts
Great pics!! Sounds like you had a good ride. I have a question,: what is the road surface made of? It looks like it might some sort of recycled material.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
BOY, if those pics don't make you want to get out and ride, nothing will. Great pics. Thanks for taking us along.. Ride safe...

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
Very nice! I'm stuck riding my desk so I have to ride vicariously for a while, but this sure helps.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great pics!! Sounds like you had a good ride. I have a question,: what is the road surface made of? It looks like it might some sort of recycled material.
Your guess is as good as mine. It is textured stuff for sure. I assume to give better traction in snow and ice. It appears to me that they laid down asphalt and then topped it with this material. It really makes the tires whine in the turns. A lot of the roads in Colorado are concrete but most of the lesser traveled roads are of this nature.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Very nice pics, Dreamweaver. By the way, where did you have the camera mounted?

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Your guess is as good as mine. It is textured stuff for sure. I assume to give better traction in snow and ice. It appears to me that they laid down asphalt and then topped it with this material. It really makes the tires whine in the turns. A lot of the roads in Colorado are concrete but most of the lesser traveled roads are of this nature.
Is that not chip seal; a layer of gravel with a heavy overspray of hot tar applied to the exsting asphalt surface? We have allot of that here. Noisy and hard on tires. Or perhaps it's done in reverse; hot tar first and then gravel overlay. Yep that's it.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice pics, Dreamweaver. By the way, where did you have the camera mounted?
Thanks and it is mounted on the left front crash/roll bar in front of the highway pegs. Ram mounts make it easy to set up and take down. That is the best place I have found for mounting a camera on the Wing. That point is smooth as silk when shooting moving pictures.

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Thanks and it is mounted on the left front crash/roll bar in front of the highway pegs. Ram mounts make it easy to set up and take down. That is the best place I have found for mounting a camera on the Wing. That point is smooth as silk when shooting moving pictures.
Do you have remote shutter control?

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is that not chip seal; a layer of gravel with a heavy overspray of hot tar applied to the exsting asphalt surface? We have allot of that here. Noisy and hard on tires. Or perhaps it's done in reverse; hot tar first and then gravel overlay. Yep that's it.
I think your right but I think its crushed granite they use in the mix. It is hard on tires and definitely loud but good traction. Yea, they tried that stuff down here and it just turns to sticky jello in the summer heat. Stuff works good up there but its a disaster down here.

·
Super Moderator
14,560 Posts
I like your camera mount idea. I'll have to look into that. Probably beats my "string the camera around my neck and use my left hand to shoot a picture when I have a chance" technique.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts