Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well first off, let me thank all the folks with insight and information to get me educated as I walked through the process of buying my wing,,,and probably, becoming a wingnut. I will hopefully attach pictures after finish writing this.

I ended up deciding on this 98, 63k mile SE 50th anniversary addition for $6200. Color, self evident. I called and talked through a lot of bikes, maybe 20 over the last two months. I changed ranges as my divorce left me sometimes more than I thought, than not surprisingly much less. so while I was negotiating, that number changed a couple of times putting me at an almost desparingly attitude. I was literally filling out my cashiers check for a one year newer, 40k miles, extremely nice se for 8K when finding I didnt have 8k any longer. then I thought I was back down to 88-89 for 5k, but ended up with more $$. so when I was once again dialed in, three popped up in one day, one 4 hours, the other two inside an hour. the first one I ended up seeing was in pretty nice shape. I dont think he was prepared, as it wasnt really clean. not bad, but not ready to sell. it had everything I wanted, but it has the woodgrain dash which Im not sold on. a little to much for my taste. he had service records (dang it, I left them) service manual. owners manual. new tires, a new alternator last season along with a full service. he also had two 3/4 helmets with intercome in decent shape to give. Also included after market navigation. so it wasnt really singin to me, but it wasnt sayin go away either. so I decided to ride it. well, that guy knew what he was doing. I was prepared for it to be heavy, maybe wallo a little at beginning speed and balancing. I left my glasses in the car, so i couldnt see the buttons, and there was more than few. I had only a general idea where the turn signals should be, which was the most important one to me for the test ride.
well, the bike surprised me pretty well. Throttle roll up was tons of torque and just zipped from 40 to 80 in,,,, less than 60 yards. I was really impressed how nimble it was for its size. the engine whine at throttle up reminded me of my 454 with gear drive lol. anyway, the ride sold me. I knew whatever small failings this bike could have, we could overcome. so I bought that one. Im assuming most all 1500s would be similar, but why mess around when this one was giving you all you asked for and some. so we picked it up today. rode the 1/2 or so home, with my son on the back, chattering through the helmets. I have to learn all the gadgetry but ,,tags first, clean second and then start playin. the highway ride back was great. beautiful weather to, nice way to start a relationship... I am sure I will have questions a plenty. I ll have to do most things on the cheap as things have cleaned me out, but I knew it would. ill save the questions for later, just wanted you all to see, I wasnt kiddin.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,000 Posts
Great looking Wing. I had a 98 SE (same color) before my 09. Looks like you have a riding partner already. Ride safe and enjoy your new 2u Wing..

·
Registered
334 Posts
Glad you found your bike, she is a looker,and those helmets are a nice added bonus.I have a 96 aspy also red (fastest color) good luck with your new to you bike and your son looks to be enjoying it. Hal

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
Good job, Bob! Ride safe & enjoy!:D

·
Registered
674 Posts
great purchase.

·
Administrator
29,009 Posts
Glad you found one that called to you Bob, now put some miles on her & have fun.

By the way just ask questions as they come to you.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
What a great looking bike. Your son will love it as well. Congratulation on your new wing. Eric

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Congrats on the purchase of a great looking bike.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
congrats bob but one thing. its not an anneversery edition those are basiclly '90, '95, 2000

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Great looking bike.
Congrats on the new to you ride, you got the fastest color too!!!

Ride safe and enjoy!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Nice Bike.....Congratulations. The little guy on the back has already claimed his seat. You should be ready to go.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Congrats Bob, good looking Wing and a good buy at 6200.

·
Administrator
15,302 Posts
Glad you found what you were looking for. You got the best color too! I look forward to many reports of you riding with your son.

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
that's a fine SE you have there, enjoy!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
congrats bob but one thing. its not an anneversery edition those are basiclly '90, '95, 2000
Interesting, I didnt pay it any mind simply because it didnt matter to me. but it has 50th anniversary badges and gold lettering all over. of course, I have known car folk to do that to be decieptful, but this stuff looks legit and factory. however, being my first wing, how would I know, lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts