Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
http://wingstuff.com then search centramatic This and a car tire and your good!!!

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Well let me spoil this for the Car Tire guys. You should just get one of them. They are the best. No foolin.

Seriously mileage is always discussed, is always different & is always debated.

I never had an issue with Dunlops, other people do. Some guys are having great luck with Bridgestones & I have heard great things about Avons & Michelins as well.

Me personally I have always been of the opinion that good tire mileage begins with good tire management.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Administrator
15,290 Posts
My experience with my 2010 is;
First set which were Dunlops (250's I think) that came with the bike I got 14,000.
Second set, I put the Dunlop Elite 3's on there along with the Centramatic balancers and got 20,000 miles. I could have gotten a few more out of the rear but was planning a trip to Pennsylvania and decided to replace both. The front was just starting to cup but was well past the wear bars.
Just put on my third set which are also the Elite 3’s. Only 5000 miles so far and I still like them.
Like Fossil said good tire care is critical. I check my tires often and keep the pressure up around 40 for front and back.

My other bike I run Bridgestone which do okay, but that bike eats tires and the best I’ve ever gotten is 12,000 out of a set of tires.

No, I do not run a car tire on my bike. But from what I hear they do last a long time.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Checking with other dealers in our region, 12,000 mi/20,000 km is about the standard for 1800's. You might get more if there are more curves where you ride, lots of our roads are wide open and (ugh) straight. That puts more were on the center of the tread pattern, drives me nutso on the RC51, not much I can do about it though.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I changed my OEM Dunlops at 12K. Was plenty of meat left on the rear but the front was close to the wear bars so just did both at the same time.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
I get about 6000 miles out of my rear tires. Eric

·
Registered
246 Posts
Both tires on my 2010 Wing were changed at 9300 miles, only because I still had another 3-5 thousand miles remaining on my trip. I got the tires at Americaid in Lake George, NY. Tires, install, balance, taxes etc for a $500.00 show price at a Dulop vendor. Current tires have over 10,000 miles and don't seem to be wearing badly. I will purchase new tire before my next trip that exceeds a 1000 miles and at the same time I plan on having tapered fork bearing installed. Love the Wing!

·
Registered
33 Posts
We only got about 8,000 out of the original Dunflop 250's. The front ones cupped, too. I put on Stones motorycle tires and they look like new with 5,000 miles so far.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Well let me spoil this for the Car Tire guys. You should just get one of them. They are the best. No foolin.

Seriously mileage is always discussed, is always different & is always debated.

I never had an issue with Dunlops, other people do. Some guys are having great luck with Bridgestones & I have heard great things about Avons & Michelins as well.

Me personally I have always been of the opinion that good tire mileage begins with good tire management.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.
Now this man does know what he is talking about I have always done good tire management and when I used Dunlops I would received 18 to 21K out of them, now with my 06 and Bridgstones I would get maybe 13 to 15K. Right now I have a Michelin alpin winter car tire on the rear and it has 16K on it and shows a little worn off and I should get another 16K out of it and this is after doing a trip out west in the heat and the tar n chip roads that can do a tire in fast, and with that heat and chip my front will be done at 13K and I may go back to a Dunlop that I used to get so much more.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My front tire cups way before the tread is gone. the most I got out of a front is 11,000 miles and that was the original. I replaced both tires and went with centermatics. Tires are OEM Dunlop. I had to replace the front after 9,000 because of cupping. I was going on a trip pulling a trailer and did not want to take a chance. the rear now has 11,500 and looks good. And I do like the centermatics. At speed it is so smooth.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
My front OEM 250 had minimal cupping after just over 12k miles, none on the rear. The rear tire had that infamous central Alberta flat spot down the middle though even though I try to find as many invigorating curves as I can (they just are too few and far between around here:(). The 250's weren't going to be good enough for any long trips this season so I changed them out for the Bridgestones. Can't say that I blame anyone for looking to the longest mileage tires when you have longer riding seasons than we do around here. I've slowed down (not talking speed here) in my riding time the last decade and tire wear shows it. Between both bikes I'm lucky to put on 6000 miles in a season now so tires last me about 3 years per bike. I'm running harder compounds on the RC now, the older Battlax tires were softer and wore way quicker than the new ones should. Wear factor on the Wing's 'stones is still an unknown.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.