Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, got the oil changed (That was easy!) and noticed from the closer proximity I was in the bike's not quite so clean. And it's a bit too much (gritty) to use the Pledge/Honda spray stuff. One thing we have plenty of down here on the coast is sand.
Anyways, so I'm wantin to give it a good bucket wash and this may be a stoopit question 'cause it's a bike, but is there anything that needs to be avoided with water under pressure? Anything to avoid slopping soap on? I've never had a bike with all the electronics and such on it, and don't wanna do anything doofus tryin to make it look better..

Thanks much for any help.. :cool: d:^) Schneeks..

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
I always just used a carwash soap, bucket, & light spray from a hose. Not too much to worry about in my book. Just some good common sense.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Don't put hard spray directly on the radio controls or speakers or any of the electronic switches. Spraying them with a lite spray is fine. Soap on everthing is fine. Don't use Windex or other type cleaners on the shield (takes the coating off) use pledge or Plexus.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Pretty much as the other have said. I use automotive soap, a spray , I never wash the area around audio stuff. Just a spray bottle and mist that area and wipe it down.
A dirty back wheel drives me nuts. So here how I've been cleaning the back wheel on Big Red for the last 19 years.
Bike on the center stand, kick stand up. Bike idling in 1st gear. Then I spray both side of the spining wheel with simple green. Now the tricky part till you get used to it.
I found a brush in the house ware dept. at the local market, it has a brush on it about 2" square and angled at the end, the handle is maybe 6-8 " long..
Wet the brush and holding toward the back of the bike reach under the bike and hold it against the spinning tire. work it up and down on the side wall. Then slowly move it up onto the bead of the wheel then up onto the flat area of the rim. Do both sides like that , then rinse.
Also a small scissor jack under the engine to lift the front tire enough to spin the wheel for cleaning helps,. Do the front the same as the rear with the simple green. Of course you'll have to spin the wheel.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone else do the leaf blower drying technique? Easy on the switches and electrics so I don't force any water inside.
I tried that this afternoon. Worked great.. Better than having to stop and wait for the compressor to catch up like I'd been doing.
I put the cover over the knob cluster and pussy-footed around the other electronics.
Just avoided the windshield altogether. After seeing my last shield in direct frontal sunlight I don't wanna screw this one up. I know better than to use chemicals on the plexi, but apparently even a new cloth every time and soapy water are still too abrasive. :rolleyes::mad: d:^) Schneeks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
schneeky! you got you a 1500! i missed out on your choice! congratulations, im sure you will love it. like i said, i had one. they are wonderful bikes. it took my wife and i, before she started riding her own bike, all up and down the east coast. never had a minutes problem out of it. your 98 will prolly give you the same amount of love! keep on winginit rick

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Pretty much as the other have said. Wet the brush and holding toward the back of the bike reach under the bike and hold it against the spinning tire. work it up and down on the side wall. Then slowly move it up onto the bead of the wheel then up onto the flat area of the rim. Do both sides like that , then rinse.
Hey Ron, wasn't sure what I was reading here.. Sounds like a man making love to his bike..... LOL...:eek::D:p

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
schneeky! you got you a 1500! i missed out on your choice! congratulations, im sure you will love it. like i said, i had one. they are wonderful bikes. it took my wife and i, before she started riding her own bike, all up and down the east coast. never had a minutes problem out of it. your 98 will prolly give you the same amount of love! keep on winginit rick
Yessir, gettin ready for my first road trip either today or first of next week, depending on the weather. Been runnin it around here a bit to make sure it wasn't a lemon first. But far as I can tell it's all in good working order. I'm lookin forward to many smiles with this rig.. :cool: d:^) Schneeks..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got back from my little trip and the windshield needs a good cleaning.. GF went by WallyWorld while I was gone to get some Pledge, but they had Original and "Multi-Surface". Which Pledge are y'all using? Thanks.. :cool: d:^) Schneeks..

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Hahahahahaha!

:D:D:D

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
To answer the question, most have said multi-surface. I still have some Plexus so haven't tried the pledge yet. Glad you had a great trip, looking for pictures....

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Lemon, regular, multi, use 'em all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts