Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to wash my wing for the first time since I got it and was wondering how others do it. Hand wash or pressure. Also, do I need to do anything special for the electronics and dash to keep from getting wet? What kind of wax do you use and what about wheel cleaner. I know this is a lot of questions but am new to this. Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just wait for a good rain and go for a ride, LOL:D. Just kidding, I use plexi cleaner or the whip and shin type polish. I only use water after it's been on a ride when it's raining or a long tour. Congrats on having a new bike. earthpig....

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Hand washing the Wing and Mother's brand polish for metal. Honda detailing spray and Honda 'Glare' wash and wax. Leave the cover on the stereo.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You really ought to use a soft rag so you can caress and massage your baby. :p

·
Registered
515 Posts
I ride my wing in all weather, so in my opinion, no special precautions needed to protect things from water. Definitely would not use a "power wash" to clean the bike, since you wouldn't want to "force" water where it shouldn't be including the speakers and stereo. I usually use a soft spray of water and hand wash with a car wash product. I'll use a good quality wax when needed, and touch up using Honda spray polish, there are other great products including Pledge. My 1500 wheels get a good aluminum polish like Mothers and a coat of wax.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use hand wash and find that there area few quick details spray waxes out. I perfere Mcguires brand. Spay on detailer wax has a lubricant in it with a very lite wax. I find this cuts down on washes. Also use the electric leaf blower to dry off the water,, works wonders and leave no water spots.. The 1800 hundred you will find has the same issue as some cars where the vacuum of driving will dirty the back around the liecences plate much quicker then anywher else. You will see. Enjoy even though everyone knows a real gold wing is YELLOW. lol

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I use Turtle wax car washing liquid, hose it down and wash it like a car, it's a touring bike so it's water proof, I use a leaf blower to dry it with, stay away from the speakers but do use it on the switches and buttons, then use a good wax of your choice on the plastic and Mothers mag and aluminum polish on the wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like that leaf blower idea, thanks, I will try it next time.
I wash mine with just water and wipe it off. I used lemon pledge this last time and really liked it, especially on the windshield.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I'm a hand wash guy and hose off. Try to keep excess water off of audio controls and electronics.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I use plain old dishwashing soap and ONLY the BEST micro fiber towels I can find.
Then I get out the Echo gas blower and blow it dry. Once dry, I get out the Honda Spay on detailer and go over the entire bike except the seat. Never never wax your seat!! If you ever do, you will know why at the first stop light!

Also, I have read tons and tons on how people clean the windscreen. I use only Honda spay detailer on mine. Spray it on and let sit a few minutes and bug guts come off like nothing. I have cleaned my screen at least 3 times a week this way and it still looks like new with no scratches whatsoever.
It also keeps the bugs from sticking too bad to begin with and helps water bead right off in the rain.

Total time start to finish is about 20 minutes from the time I turn the hose on till I finish waxing!

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
I have to echo Two Wheel & Buzzy here. I do the similar except the products are a little different.

By the way Buzzy I know a place in Pa. where you can spend 20 minutes. 40 if you want to stop & see Two Wheel too.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have to echo Two Wheel & Buzzy here. I do the similar except the products are a little different.

By the way Buzzy I know a place in Pa. where you can spend 20 minutes. 40 if you want to stop & see Two Wheel too.:rolleyes:
If you are anything like me, you wouldn't want anyone else to wash your bike. I don't even let the wife touch it, she gets to hose it off only!
I am a freak when it comes to people washing my stuff and I am very annal about what micro fiber rags I use.

I learned my lesson a long time ago. I stopped in this benefit car wash thing being held in a parking lot. I don't remember what it was for but I had just bought a brand spanking new Chevy Silverado. It was the top of the line and had every option. Took me a long time at that time in my life to finally afford one.
Well, there were a lot of kids helping wash the vehicles. And I mean little kids like 6 years old! When I got home I started noticing scratches all over the truck. Then I remembered watching the kids as they would lay the wash rags down on the cement parking lot or would constantly drop the rags.
I thought it was funny at the time and was kinda funny watching these kids try and help only to have adults come right back behind them to get all the spots that they missed.

Then it hit me like a ton of bricks! every time those kids laid a rag down, it would get rocks and dirt in it and then they scrub the vehicles with them!!!!

I have not had my vehicles washed by ANYONE since then.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I wash wth the car wash wand if the bike is really dirty, use the pre-soak to remove the bugs, and then use a wash mitt & chamois. At hom I do the garden hose with dish soap and bucket by hand. After I dry it off, I use Honda spray polish or Mcguires Gold Class wax.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts