Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please explain proper suspension settings for a smooth ride on a Wing...
Self - 160 lbs; Wife 125 lbs. Always 2 up, never load the bike other than pulling a trailer (not much weight on the hitch).
Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
What year Wing?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
RedGold I would have the suspension set to top number for doubles and gear.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is my third season on an '08. This year, based on someone's opinion here that he likes riding on #25 all the time, I decided to try it and I discovered that I like it also. Works well with the wife on back and also works with just little old me...emphasis on the old.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
This is my third season on an '08. This year, based on someone's opinion here that he likes riding on #25 all the time, I decided to try it and I discovered that I like it also. Works well with the wife on back and also works with just little old me...emphasis on the old.
There is a thread on another board written by Tom Finch, owner of TailWind Trailers.
It explains in detail the design and "workings" of the Wings rear suspension system.
What he concluded goes against everything I thought I knew about preload settings and getting a "comfortable" ride!
In short-set the preload at the max of 25 go for a ride.
If you find the same result I did, you will leave it on 25 from now on!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I don't notice much difference at any setting and yes the rear shock is working, I run it at 4 when I ride local roads and pump it up to 24 when I need more ground clearance in the twisties.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
There is hardly any perceived "difference" because the action of the shock and it's travel is affected very little by the preload settings.
I initially was confused how a preload vs. an air shock "felt" at different settings.
Because IMHO, the suspension on a stock Wing leaves a lot to be desired and because 99% of my riding is 2 up, I found if I leave the preload set @ 25 and am satisfied.
Don't understand why, but the bumps and dips do not seem as harsh at the max preload.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
That's something I haven't played with on my bike yet, but I'm going to now that I read this. I've been perfectly satisfied with the settings at default. Maybe I don't know what I've been missing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have tried different preload settings. I find that especially on the highway, where you have sometimes a hump here or a bump there or from old road to new, I get a smoother feel from the higher setting. I have even felt myself bottom out once on the lower setting while traveling at 70 mph.

The higher setting also works on local roads, not only for higher clearance for tight cornering but also for those nasty speed bumps in shopping places and apartment complexes. I use to have to pull over to adgust to the higher setting just to make it over those gosh darn speed bumps. Now I just slow down over them - when I can't go around them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am really glad somebody asked this question. My 2010 I usually have at 8 single, 15 two up with gear, and I scraped the top of the centerstand on a speed bump, going very slow, on a trip. Went brain dead and didn;t think to up the setting. Gonna have to try the 25 for a minute and see what happens...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts