Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 82I. i put a new tire on front ,new wheel bearings rear yesterday. the problem is....it still will dive to the right if i let go of the handle bars. i am capible of standing on the seat (in my younger days) and motoring down the road. don't do that anymore. ok lol but what the heck. this bike should go straight down the road by itself! i checked swing arm.and frame for crack in welds, stearing head is tight, it all apears ok, bike has never been crashed , i know its history. so any ideas anyone ?
something has to be wrong. i have had yamahas hondas Harleys small and large and they would all go down the road with NO effort.
any input (other than telling me to hold on to the bars)
thanks,
LB

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
i have an 82I. i put a new tire on front ,new wheel bearings rear yesterday. the problem is....it still will dive to the right if i let go of the handle bars. i am capible of standing on the seat (in my younger days) and motoring down the road. don't do that anymore. ok lol but what the heck. this bike should go straight down the road by itself! i checked swing arm.and frame for crack in welds, stearing head is tight, it all apears ok, bike has never been crashed , i know its history. so any ideas anyone ?
something has to be wrong. i have had yamahas hondas Harleys small and large and they would all go down the road with NO effort.
any input (other than telling me to hold on to the bars)
thanks,
LB

Sounds like you might have a dragging brake.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
82 wing handles wierd

ok i just had the brakes on the rear off...butt heads!! gave me the wrong pads or they would be new.. i will check the front but they appeared ok when i did the front tire...
thanks for input
Larry B

·
Registered
108 Posts
You might have a weak spring or a problem in your right front shock that is causing it to go to the right. Sounds like the only thing left to check. Just my two cents..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
82 wing handles wierd

i was talking with a buddy a few min.s ago he thought that one of my forks could be bad also....what a project that would be...guess i had better stop lookin at the pictures and read up my Manual.
thanks,
LB

·
Registered
4 Posts
This may sound silly, but have you checked the tyre pressures? Depending on how heavy you are, 36 to 40 psi front and 38 to 44 back might make a difference. Often mechanics go by book pressures when inflating/fitting tyres, and the honda book I got with my '96 was way too low - made it feel 3 foot shorter and 150 lbs heavier, Very unstable and with bad tracking. A "proper" Honda Mechanic pointed this out to me. Worth a try?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts