Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a three piece set of Wing Gear tour box/saddle bag mats. They had a bad petrochemical odor that stayed present after almost a year and would get into and stay on everything I put in the tour box or bags. I contacted Chokodesign the manufatuure and they stated there have not been any complaints.
Has anyone heard of or experienced this concern?

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
If the mats are rubber backed it may be the backing that you are smelling. I have a pair of rubber rain boots that I use with my rainsuit and the smell terrible. I keep them in a ziplock bag so the smell does not get into everything in the saddlebag..

·
Super Moderator
28,452 Posts
carboss,

Mine had the same odor. I laid them out in garage & everyday for a week or so I sprayed Fabreze on them. They got to the point where they wer tolrable. I din't think it was that big of a deal. I was betting on the treatment they used in the manufacturing of them is what caused the smell.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I bought the Honda ones (and a few other baubles) because my bike sat in the showroom for a few months after set-up and it was a registered demo. Did you try a portable steam cleaner or anything to get the smell out?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have yet to pop for a set of pre-made/fitted mats for my '10. I do like the ones Joe suggested. On my 1994 Wing, I hit a local carpet store, bought a black carpet remnant for $20. Cut it to fit the trunk and bags and they worked great. Yeah, edges were not sown but they looked fine and worked. Now I am on the fence. Do I go for the embroidered ones or cheap out and go remnant again?
Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts