Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my life time I have gone to many different trade shows and events / gatherings...I though I would try a motorcycle gathering...Wingding this year....I must have missed something when I was there....It was boring :(.... In fact I had more fun at the old classic car ralley, held at the hotel I stayed at.

Yes one could say it was neat to look at some of the art work on the different bikes and look thru some of the booths of vendors...but I must have missed the fun section...

I was expecting to be able to participate in several sponsored 2-3 hour rides thru the country side (Yes I know there is corn fields every where but I am sure there are a lot of great cool little towns to visit)...nothing (again maybe I missed it...if there were some GWRRA did a bad job at communicating to new riders where and when they started)....I thought they would have had gatherings (other than the parade on Friday Night) to meet new people....nothing to be found....

I was not looking for a drunk fest (I don't even drink) but some type of social event that involved riding and socializing would have been nice...I am thinking something like "go to these small towns and collect a clue"...like a poker run.

Oh well...anyone else go to Wingding...Did I just miss the boat here :confused:

I have to confess...I would never go back to another Wingding unless there was a significant modification....

On the bright side I ended up puting 2100 miles on the new bike....(rode from Milwaukee WI -> Des Moine IA (wing ding) -> Omaha NE -> Soiux City SD -> Fargo ND -> Rhilander WI -> back to Milwaukee this past weekend (Friday - Sunday)).....she's 5 weeks old and already has 3200 miles...move over 100,000 mile riders....:D

Ride safe...

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Iowa

Mark I did 11 years there as a kid, left in 60' don't care to return. No there aren't any two hour fun rides esp in the summer time. Iowa in summmer is all about corn tunnels broken up by an occasional hog farm. The two river sides have charm but that excludes Des Moines.

I have never been to a rally that held my interest longer than to ride in, eat and ride out. Now as for the 2100 miler... that is good. If the mental spark beginning your 2100 miler was the Wing Ding then it was good. Goodness begins where directions end. Try to spend much of your time lost and you will be surprised at the treasures you find and the wonderful people you'll meet.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've never been to Wingding, but have attended the Canadian versions (Wingfling) and regional ralies years back. Similar just smaller gatherings compared to the 'big one'. I found much of what I wanted, but the settings were fantastic: Alberta (Canmore) Rocky Mountains, Jasper National Park, BC Okanagan, Vancouver Island. Lots of rides, poker runs, show & shines and social gatherings galore. Maybe when it invloves so many members and regions, the heehaw gets lost in the shuffle? Can't say for sure but that's my guess.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree Mark. Attended a rally this past summer. It was somewhat of a dud. We did have a decent ride though. I have to agree with billcarr. The ride we have been on this past week, we have met some folks, seen a lot, and had a good time being on the road. Not sure about rallies. Still want to go to Thunder Beach in October though.

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
This is not a good review. I have very tentative plans to check it out next year in Knoxville. The plus side is I know a bike rider in Dandridge TN He owes me an over-night stay.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have been to a few Wing Dings 4 or 5, and there is lots to do if you want to. The drill teams are a must see, top gun is always great and you can kill a little time at the bike show. Seminars all day long and there are usually planned rides and poker runs, talent show is usually real fun also. Did you get a itinerary of what was going on and where it was happening? They usually don't have a meet & greet but guys from different forums usually plan a time and place to do that on their own. I agree that they are not as good as they used to be way back when and unless your really involved in GWRRA there probably isn't much to interest you, one day at the vendor area is enough if you don't do the seminars.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe in Calf......Not sure what happened....I did get an itinerary...did see the seminars on safety and rider skills...I asked around for poker runs and fun rides...nothing to be found....not even on the itinerary...I did get there on Friday and I know the show started on Wednesday so not sure what activities were on Wed and Thurs....

I did hear that there is a large wing rally in September down (I think) in North Carolina...I am going to try that one....

Oh well...at least the ride on the bike was great.... :)

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Joe. I have been to two now, and you really have to entertain yourself. I enjoyed it , because I live 35 miles from Des Moines. I am looking forward to it being in Knoxville next year , so I can ride the dragon again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wingding

I have never been to a Wingding, much prefer the smaller rallys. We did attend the Honda Hoot and Honda Homecoming several years before they were discontinued. Hope they return in the future.
I'm sure a lot of people enjoy GWRRA rally's, but just isn't our cup of tea, but then neither is this forum.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
although i'm a member(at least for a couple more months) of GWRRA.I don't find anything of interest about them.they give me the impression that everyone should wear glow in the dark kevlar suits and full faced helmets and the only thing you should do to your exhaust is make it quieter.maybe it's an "age thing" ,being that i'm only in my 40's,but i find events like biketoberfest,where there are all types of bikes.don't get me wrong,i love my wing,but how many wings can you look at,they all look about (more or less) the same

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
although i'm a member(at least for a couple more months) of GWRRA.I don't find anything of interest about them.they give me the impression that everyone should wear glow in the dark kevlar suits and full faced helmets and the only thing you should do to your exhaust is make it quieter.maybe it's an "age thing" ,being that i'm only in my 40's,but i find events like biketoberfest,where there are all types of bikes.don't get me wrong,i love my wing,but how many wings can you look at,they all look about (more or less) the same
Dare to be yourself. And dress as yourself. I do.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am looking forward to it being in Knoxville next year , so I can ride the dragon again!
The better half and I discused going to Knoxville next year also. It looks like a go for now.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Not all organizations fit with everyone's tastes Bobby. GWRRA's motto pretty much says it all "friends for fun, safety and knowledge" I personally believe in the power of numbers, and the more organized the numbers are the better it is. Wing Ding just can't be all things to all members I guess, but I've never attended one, just the Canadian versions, and then few times at that. Our local chapters are great, with everyone getting together for the camaraderie and sharing knowledge and experiences and general good natured banter. I'm rural located, so for me it's a ride to and from the chapter meetings and a visit with new and old acquaintances.
You and I have some more in common as I have Torquemaster pipes (no extra baffles installed yet but I have 'em in the trunk) and I still like some volume in the tunes (big Colin James fan and his former drummer Darrell Mayes is a local guy) and I'm a R&R/ R&B guy through and through. I'd be interested in hearing what you did with your sound system on your bike, so PM me the details if ya don't mind.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been going to Thunder Beach and Trail of Tears for the past five years on my Yamaha Vstar. After each ride, I said to my wife, "I sure wish I had a Goldwing". Well, on July 5th, I bought my Goldwing! Yea! I look forward to going to Wingding in Knoxville next year and hope to see ya'll there!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've never attended the event. I had planned to go this year but backed out last minute do to wife graduating Seminary that week.
I will attend next year in Knoxville. Wing Ding is and excuse to get back to TN. Lots of good riding down there. I used to travel back and forth between Clarksville TN and Knoxville quite a bit and can't wait to hit some of the back rodes down there. Lots to see withing a couple of hours of Knoxville.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been going to Thunder Beach and Trail of Tears for the past five years on my Yamaha Vstar. After each ride, I said to my wife, "I sure wish I had a Goldwing". Well, on July 5th, I bought my Goldwing! Yea! I look forward to going to Wingding in Knoxville next year and hope to see ya'll there!
+1 I put a deposit on a 2010 yesterday. I'll see you in Knoxville next year. But then it's right up the road....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.