Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bike was running just fine when it just died, coasted to shoulder and noticed i had no turn signals and my clock had reset. after about 10 mins of visualy checking for something wrong it cranked up and ran fine for about 2 miles with the cruise set light flashing then died again. does this sound like my alternator has died? battery is only about 6 months old

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. What year is your Wing?

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
It does sound like it could be the alternator. If you have access to a volt meter, it can easily be checked. With the bike running, there should be 13.8-14.4 volts at the battery terminals, with the engine at 2000 RPMs.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
I don't think it is the charging of the battery because it would not start up 10 minute later. So I think your alternator and battery is ok. I don't own a 1800 so don't know where to start looking from there, some-one will jump in soon with more knowledge on this than me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Personally I would be more inclined to think it is a loose connection. For the battery to rebound that much that fast just doesn't seem natural to me.If it lost enough where the bike would not run, it would be a real jump to get it to crank one over.

Aaron

·
Registered
838 Posts
Charging System -

Hey Tjasdean, Although your problem may be a poor electrical connection - the first check would be to test the alternator charging voltage going to the battery while the engine is running. Simply place a voltmeter across the battery posts. It should be around 13 - 14 volts. Many riders carry one of those miniature $12 Harbor Freight cheap-o multimeters with them. As far as being able to restart the bike after letting things settle or rest for a while - a new battery will often rebound fairly quickly but can not sustain all the electrics once you are on the move again.

One method that may help you make it home after the alternator has failed is to pull your headlight/lighting fuses. This will at least get you a little farther down the road before the battery goes flat again.

Good Luck, Michael :)

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Didn't somebody have this exact same problem about a year ago? I don't remember who or what the fix was but I sure do remember those symptoms. Maybe somebody with a better memory can point you to those posts :confused: Isaac

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome tjas, sorry your first post is a downer. First things first check all your connections. Then follow the advice posted. Something should come to light for a solution.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Here is a link to a sort of similar problem several years ago. Might read the thread and see if it pertains since you said your battery was 6 months old. Its not the exact same problem, but somewhere on this forum there is a post just like yours...

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4782

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
On a cross country trip a few years ago, one of the bikes wouldn't start after a breakfast stop. Tightened the terminal connections and it started right.
The failure going down the road does sound like an Alternator going out.
Follow the instructions above to check the alternator output.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.