Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the opportunity to purchase two new motorcycles in the past year. Neither of which was a Goldwing. I still have the fever.
I have passed over most all the remaining 2008 models left in the show rooms of the Goldwing dealers of the country hoping they would all sell and let my dream go away.
I am a former resident of central Ohio and very familiar with the "old" Marysville plant. The question is ....what is the future of the bike, is there a 2011 model? Is the bike being manufactured in Japan?

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Only Mother Honda knows for sure, BUT they have not given any indication that the Goldwing will not continue. There is no 2011 model as of today and rumor has it that there will not be one. It is believed that the new Goldwing, which will be built in Japan, will be a new design. (perhaps wishful thinking on Wingers part) The Wing is still the best touring bike made (JMHO) and I personally don't see it's demise anytime in the future.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
As said before NO 2011 Gold Wing, the 2012 will be made in Japan and probably won't be much different than the 2010, maybe just a few minor changes. If you want one get one. here are a lot of great used 08's and later out there for a great price.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Just to add to what my two cohorts have said. The 2012 model Goldwing IS a reality and will include some updates, primarily cosmetic with a couple feature upgrades (nothing specific yet). Yes it is going to be produced in the new facility in Hamamatsu along with all the other Honda motorcycles and ORV's, Marine and Power Equipment. Honda Reps tell me that any price increase although warranted on Honda's part, will be modest at best (read into that what you will). There are still '08, '09, and '10 models in dealerships in the US and Canada and there will be incentive programs coming out at various dates and 'strategic' times to promote the sale of the non-current left-over inventories.
No definite release date for the 2012 model, but my reps say it is ahead of schedule and is slated for an earlier than previously expected announcement. If I had to make a guess, I'd say July or August 2011.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I have found is that the 2009's went first and the 2008 models are what remains. People talk of 2010's being around at list price and are shown on the web. I am not sure how 2010 actually coincides with the closure of Marysville production line.
I do not know or pretend to know about import taxes or US labor costs but I was terribly sorry to learn of Ohio's loss and also GW riders loss of this facility.
I have shopped touring bike for several years and cannot find a bike that comes close to the comfort and ride of this motorcycle. THis is the only long distance hauler around....period........( in my humble opinion)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
There were a couple more desireable features on the '09 compared to the '08, namely an update in the Navi database, and the XM radio option. The speedos on the '09s are a tad more accurate as well. I'm not sure on what the import taxes are on bikes anymore, but it's something the other Japanese manufacturer's deal with as well. As to the Ohio plant, it isn't closed down, just being used in a different capacity now that the Wing's and VTX's etc aren't built there. It is being converted to a parts distribution center for the automotive division.
The new Hamamatsu plant was brought online to enable Honda to manufacture more bikes and other lines at a far more efficient level than previously attaineable in the existing facilities, even with extensive renovations and refurbishment (according to Honda anyway). My reps did admit that for the short term, it would create an increase in production cost, but Honda is willing to absorb as much of the cost internally as possible. Something I did learn for certain in my discussions was Honda's Powersports Division has not been profitabe for several years (as if no other m/c manufacturer hasn't hit red ink in the last few years, duh). The strength of the Auto Division has been the saving grace, also something I think we all knew deep down.
Getting back to the 2010 models, the incentive programs will be applied when Honda deems the market to be ready to maximize the impact and generate the most sales of the 2010's or any other leftover Wings. As you noted, there isn't much of any kind of program on the '10s right now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe HD lost over $90 million in 2009 and has all kinds of labor issues and moving factory attempts. Trimmed 12 models from their line to be profitable again.
It is interesting that Triumph and now Ducati have come on so strong in to the market even in a poor economy.
BMW continues to produce technically innovative machines while their customer service, dealerships and final drive issues persist.
Although honda may loose money they still are active in all forms of racing, which is encouraging.
It is an interesting economic world we live in to say the least.
Thanks so much for the information.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
2010s at list? Maybe I misunderstand your comment. I got my 2010 well below list and still see them out there below list.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Don
I guess my comment is based on advertised price.....which is my mistake. I am comparing to places like Southern Powersports, the dealership in Texas and I have talked with Shawnee Powersports in Ok. All these places are selling volume below invoice. I have honestly never gone in and haggled over a 2010 for a firm price. Last June Southern said they had over 350 units. (thats another story, perhaps better as private discussion)
I live in a smaller town in Oregon and Goldwings are not plentiful at most dealerships. I was looking for a deal....anywhere....fly and ride home type of thing..
Thanks for the response

·
Registered
44 Posts
Place to check out

Hey Don
I guess my comment is based on advertised price.....which is my mistake. I am comparing to places like Southern Powersports, the dealership in Texas and I have talked with Shawnee Powersports in Ok. All these places are selling volume below invoice. I have honestly never gone in and haggled over a 2010 for a firm price. Last June Southern said they had over 350 units. (thats another story, perhaps better as private discussion)
I live in a smaller town in Oregon and Goldwings are not plentiful at most dealerships. I was looking for a deal....anywhere....fly and ride home type of thing..
Thanks for the response
A friend of mine got a very good deal at Honda of Russellville AR...might want to check them out: http://www.hondaofrussellville.com/

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
I believe this person summed it up best.
Please see video.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
If there was another touring bike I'd buy if I couldn't have a Wing, I'd buy the Vision Tour. I've ridden one and it is a great bike, easily outguns the Ultra in every way I look at a v-twin tourer... that impresses me. Neither hold a candle to the Wing though. Of course I am a tad biased...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts