Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Daughter and I were cruising along at 100 KPH - 60 MPH ,a rock or some flying projectile flew off a car passing by going the other direction cracking my windshield 2 inches up from the bottom.The sound it made scared the heck out of me.Good arguement for a windshield I'd say,it protected me.Good Blacktop hwy,no rocks anywhere,go figure.

Go Ride :)
Robert
85 GW LTD.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... Even With The Windshield I Still Ride With Glasses On And Have Had Objects Come Around The Windshield An Hit My Face/body ... We Have Alot Of Log Trucks In This Area And There Is Plenty Of Stuff That Comes Off Them ... I Really Hate Bird Strikes ... Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
691 Posts
How true that is Ron. Should have seen the look on Jeannes face the firrst time we go behind a truck hauling live chickens!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rolling through a swarm of gnats is bad enough without a windshield, but my most memorable strike was a honey bee at 50mph, felt something hit my neck and the pain just kept on getting worse so I pulled over to check out the damage and found a stinger and sack still pumping into my jugular vein. I was sore for a few days after that.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had an experiance a few yrs back riding my Sabre V-45, on a local hyway while I was overtaking a car pulling a small utility trailer..one of the trailer tires "exploded" just ahead of me in the next lane!

I had a small tombstone windshield I made myself; All I could do was hug the tank and tuck in behind the windshield..there seemed to be dozens of small but very hard pieces.....that little windshield gave me just enough coverage..lucky it was there!:eek:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Log Trucks

... Howdy ... Even With The Windshield I Still Ride With Glasses On And Have Had Objects Come Around The Windshield An Hit My Face/body ... We Have Alot Of Log Trucks In This Area And There Is Plenty Of Stuff That Comes Off Them ... I Really Hate Bird Strikes ... Happy Trails ...
You hit on a good point with Log trucks,I avoid riding behind them as much as possible, a big chunk of Hemlock bark, a strip of Cedar
Bark, a loose branch,rider beware, good advice there Ron.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Eye protection is in my mind a must even behind a windshield. Yesterday morning I had an oncoming truck kick up a small stone about the size of a pencil eraser and it hit my left lense of my wrap-around shades. The stone took a fair chip out of my glasses so I can imagine what it would have done to my eye. The pebble stayed on the dash until I got to work, and it now resides on my desk as a reminder.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eye protection is in my mind a must even behind a windshield. Yesterday morning I had an oncoming truck kick up a small stone about the size of a pencil eraser and it hit my left lense of my wrap-around shades. The stone took a fair chip out of my glasses so I can imagine what it would have done to my eye. The pebble stayed on the dash until I got to work, and it now resides on my desk as a reminder.
You could Crazy Glue that little rock to a small plaque with a quote something like "The rock that broke my glasses not my eye"
or something similar. I hope many other riders read this one and it makes them think.I too wear either yellow glasses or sunglasses for safety.Thanks for sharing your experience.

Robert
85 GW LTD.
Go Ride :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts