Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace my stock windshield on my 93 1500 I am a tall rider and have a hard time because i am some times looking over and sometimes through windshield, this is my first bike with a shield, i am thinking of buying a shorter shield because i would rather look over the shield, any suggestions, thanks, Todd

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome Todd,am sure you will get more opinions on here,but,since is your first bike with sheild,i feel sure you will not enjoy a shorter one the 1st time you get caught in rain. Your passenger as well. My 1500 came with a Tulsa Tall,and i and my passengers love it.I am 5'10",and at 50mph and up,i don't get wet,except a little on feet.Am in Fl.,so see plenty of rain.Long rides with wind buffeting your head will get old fast.If shorter is for sure what you want,others will chime in here with advice.Ride often and Safe.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I bought a slipstreamer from JC Whitney , they offer several different heights. I am happy with the cost at $109.00

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
There are a number of good quality shields out there for the Wing. F4, Tulsa and others are good choices. Some guys that want a shorter shield will have the stock one cut down a few inches also. Whatever you get make sure you keep it clean with products like Plexus and be careful with products like Rain-x because it may damage some finishes.

Good luck and ride safe..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You do know the stock shield and SOME after market shields adjust. I use mine down in the summer and raise it up in the winter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You do know the stock shield and SOME after market shields adjust. I use mine down in the summer and raise it up in the winter.
Adjust by roughly how much ? It doesn't state the amount of adj. in the owners manual.

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
flw,

I doubt the adjustment would be enough for you. In my opinion the adustment factor is somewhat of a ruse. There isn't much there.

If you want to look over it, maybe get your handy dandy jigsaw out & voila you'll have a lower windshield.

As always this is just one ole fossil's opinion.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Todd,
I am tall and the stock shield on my GL1800 would not raise up high enough for me. Too much helmet buffeting and wind noise.
I installed a F4 (+4" with vent). It's a bit wider as well as taller. Love it. Yes, I look through the windshield but it's crystal clear and I have no more buffeting or wind noise. I can hear the stereo now without it being cranked up. Rain flies up and over me.
Like Fossil says, put some masking tape on yours, mark it, and cut it with a jigsaw if you are determined to get something shorter. You can sand the rough edges with 800+ wet/dry paper to make the edges look good.
F4's are nice, fit well, easy to install BUT they are pricey. Others on this forum have had good luck with other brands. Just do a little shopping, reading and I am sure you will find one that you like.
Rob

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'm pretty satisfied with the stock shield, but I was pretty impressed with Marksvette post about the V-stream shield. That's likely the way I'd go.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
if you have an se the black levers next to the speakers lock and unlock ( pull the levers up to unlock the windshield ) the windshield, just pull the windshield up or push it down then put the levers back in the lock position

·
Registered
95 Posts
if you have an se the black levers next to the speakers lock and unlock ( pull the levers up to unlock the windshield ) the windshield, just pull the windshield up or push it down then put the levers back in the lock position
Before I give it a jank, if I accidentially remove it, does it just slip back in easily? Also is it a 2 person job for alignment ease?

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
Before I give it a jank, if I accidentially remove it, does it just slip back in easily? Also is it a 2 person job for alignment ease?
its bolted in place it will only go up or down. to remove it the bolts would have to be removed

·
Registered
263 Posts
Cool Looking Shield

The last time I went to Boston, I saw a late model Wing which had a cool looking windshield. The shield was only about four inches or so high, no raising or lowering, and no vent. It was also slightly curved at the top. The cool factor was obviously more important to this rider than practical applications. I did think it was a different, cooler look, but was not for me. I like the options that the stock shield provides. To each, his own.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got an 88 GL1500 and the windshield was waaay to tall for me
and scratched up so bad you couldn't see thru it...

I bought a 20TPI (teeth per inch) jigsaw blade for metals and plastics and cut off 2 inches now it's perfect
there are at least 3 published articles on the internet on how to do this yourself...it was easy...

I bought a spray can of plexus and wow cleans up nice but no scratch removal...I found a guy who worked with plastics his whole life...and he broke out a bottle of rubbing compound brown then white
and after about an hour of elbow grease he buffed out all my scratches perfectly....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts