Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the windshield on my 1985 Interstate. What is the best way to clean on the road and at bath time??? I would like to keep it scratch free and was told not to use windex.:cool:

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
No Windex, ammonia eats plastic. Some favorite products here include Lemon Scented Pledge Funiture Polish ( inexspensive ); Plexus ( sold in bike shops ); and this list should grow as our members wake up to greet the day. If your sleeping, your not riding.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chopin!! Does the pledge fog the shield?? Gonna wash and ride within the hour thanks again ! I just joined as a paid member now and I think this is an awesome site!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I used to keep a wet terry rag in a ziplok bag or my drying towel (shammy) in a saddlebag to soften and wipe the bugs off the windscreen. The "honda" spray polish works great also...you know you'll polish something while on the road!

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Pledge won't fog and it keeps the rain water beading. Plexus is a great product, but is somewhat expensive. You can also use it on the entire bike for polishing and protecting. Products like Windex and Rain-x are not good for Plexiglas shields. If you have really bad bug marks, soak a rag in water and let it lay on the spot and it will make it easier to get off without scratching the shield..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I use a small spray bottle with water in it, but Honda spray polish and plexis works great also.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've used Novus plastic cleaner/polish for years, it's in a pump spray bottle. I also just finished up a bottle of Ultra Luster Waterless cleaner which worked out well. Just don't keep any pressure in the bottle and leave it in a warm saddle bag, it will develop a bubble in the bottle and may burst.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
WS cleaner

I use the Honda stuff in a spray can. It is the same as the polish. If your cleaning encrused bugs use a lot. Soap and water work well with a cotton t shirt as a rag. Be careful to always use a clean rag. I think the wrong clean rag is worse than the wrong cleaning agent.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot guys !! I am very happy with the results of the pledge! who thought of that ?? yes the clean rag is paramount i have separate rag for shield and bike!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Lots of things work well, and you'll discover what is most effective for you after you try our advice. Just use common sense and you'll be fine (no bug-off cleaning pads or squeegees:eek: thank-you). Soaking the dried on ones realy helps (you can use a garage paper towel for soaking...not rubbing)

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Thanks alot guys !! I am very happy with the results of the pledge! who thought of that ?? yes the clean rag is paramount i have separate rag for shield and bike!
" I Pledge allegiance to a Clean Rag of the United..........for which it stands, one nation under Gloss, invisible, with clarity and scratchless for all. "

·
Registered
449 Posts
" I Pledge allegiance to a Clean Rag of the United..........for which it stands, one nation under Gloss, invisible, with clarity and scratchless for all. "
Chopin.....D_MN, YOUR GOOD!
Pledge travels with me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts