Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a National cycle Vstream windshield on my 1800, very disappointed. It looks good, but it doesn't do what it should. I get lots of windshield shaking at highway speed and more buffering then the stock, not a very good shield for the price.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
I have an adjustable Windbender HP-S and love it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
That's to bad, there are so many different shields to pick from it's hard to make a decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the info, I was about to bite the bullet and purchase one of these for my 1500. Cee Baileys is probably what I will order now.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Are you sure it's installed correctly? I thought they were thicker than stock & more sturdy?

Mark

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's installed ok, it just seems to be flimsy. The one I got is supposed to be 4mm, I think you have to get the 6mm to be stiffer which cost more. All National said is sorry, I figured a big company like that would do a bit more then say sorry.

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
It's installed ok, it just seems to be flimsy. The one I got is supposed to be 4mm, I think you have to get the 6mm to be stiffer which cost more. All National said is sorry, I figured a big company like that would do a bit more then say sorry.
So the rest of this story is that they do make a better one? Then I would have to ask the question ...Is the design of the Vstream as far as the Shape good?

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would think the design is good, from what I could see, the 4mm is too thin, and the angle of the shield is too low, I can't even pass my hand between the shield and the dash and I have to raise the shield quite high to feel any difference.

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
The Tulsa', & the laid back style knockoffs have the same confinements. I never found it to be an issue but then again my bikes are in a garage so not outside to collect dirt/debris.

I guess the bottom line is spend more money for the thicker product, make sure the design suits your desires & things should be ok.

The only reason I even bring this up is because I've heard lots of good things about the Vstream so I was wondering what made your experiance different.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's why I bought the shield, I heard lots of good thing's about it but when I tried it, the flapping around and the turbulence was more then the stock shield. To tell you the Truth, it looks like cheap plastic, might be good, just looks cheap compared to stock.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
I've been thinking about a new shield for over a year. I had narrowed the field down to an F4 or a Vstream. There have been several positive posts for the windbender here. I know DanB loves his. But I and my co-rider want something with more height and width. My previous Wing had the larger Tulsa. Although it did create a bit of a hassle getting on and off the bike, it did make a comfortable ride for both of us.

One of the members in our chapter has had the 4mm thick Vstream for about a year and is satisfied with it. He said if he had it to do over again, he would have gotten the thicker model because although he knew the thinner one would have more flexing, he didn't expect so much. But all considered, he still likes it.

Another member also has a 4mm but he's only had it on for a couple hundred miles and really hasn't formed an opinion yet. He was on a ride with us last week, so I purposely got in line behind him. I noticed some buffeting in the jacket sleeves at his shoulders but less than my stock shield was giving me.

The F4 seems to be the same size and lean angle of my previous Tulsa which I was very happy with. So I'm still in a quandry about which one to get. If it's the Vstream, I know I'll get the 6mm. But both are 2 to 3 times as costly as anything else. Why not another Tulsa? The shape worked well, but the easier cleaning, scratch resistance, and expected longer use of the F4 gets my attention. Hopefully I'll soon come across somebody that has one of the two and maybe zero in on one or of the other.

Flash, give yours a few thousand miles. You may decide you like it after all.

Take care and ride safe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
windsheild forgl1800

I bought a Typhoon,. you'll hit your head on it , it tips back so far , not what i was looking for. So I'm asking about f4 plus4 to help keep a little air off the boss or is there such a windsheild. The Typhoon lays back to far, the f4 it looks like it shoots the air up and a way HELP ! No I can't leave her at home, I tryed that, pure hell

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Alaska.
Go to the New Member Introduction and tell us a little about yourself. :)

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Have you asked if Nat'l would give you full credit toward a 6mm in trade. Of courese the question before that is "would you consider the upgrade?"

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
My stock screen has almost 50,000 miles on it & it's starting to look like it. I was really contemplating the V-stream myself.....but no one I knew had one to give me an honest review & the reviews I had read were great to poor.

Well, I tell you...I have a friend who lent me his F4+4 to try out before I spent the $$$$. Well I really like the shield's clarity (crystal freakin clear) & it's GREAT in shedding water in the rain. But here's the deal...my wife didn't notice any bit of a difference in buffeting at all from the stock screen. So I decided to go with the F4+2 instead. It's still adjustable.....almost $100.00 cheaper & it has the vent hole that takes the stock vent. Works great & pretty much retains the stock look. Did I mention it was crystal freakin clear? 2 thumbs up for the F4+2!

That's my story & I'm sticking to it!

Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Plexus and V-Stream

I luv both of these. Been using the Plexus for years on everything plastic with a micro-fiber cloth. Did a friend's goggles on a ride and the next stop he was amazed that the big bug that covered one lens simply blew off the side leaving the lens clear.

Only had my wing for 2 months so I've only put 4,800 miles on it, but I bought the V-Stream Special Edition ($316, 6mm, including vent) even before my wife rode on it. She can't compare it to the stock windscreen, but she reports no turbulence in the rear seat and we are able to carry on a normal conversation at 80+ mph.

John

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have the F4+4. Excellent windshield! All of their claims regarding the strength, clarity and rain shedding are absolutely true. My better half has no issues with wind buffeting. I'd recommend the F4 in any of the sizes! Great unit! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.